The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

I was in the Wee Dublin End at the last game and the "fan experience" was world class.

Terracing, pishing in a trough in a breeze block lean-to and proper burger van. Yes it rained but I can easily afford a hooded jacket.

A lot of noise about Gayfield and Somerset but Cappielow is up there.

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was in the Wee Dublin End at the last game and the "fan experience" was world class.

Terracing, pishing in a trough in a breeze block lean-to and proper burger van. Yes it rained but I can easily afford a hooded jacket.

A lot of noise about Gayfield and Somerset but Cappielow is up there.

Don't think many morton fans would disagree with you.

From my own personal experience, I’ve been in the main stand, Cooshed end and WDE. Cooshed end is by far the best I’ve had. Not a fan of WDE, would take the end of the main stand before it. 

We need to be far more ruthless than hanging on to both of Gillespie & Power, to Quitongo & McGrattan. Looking at attacking players, we already have Davies and Bearne signed up and we'll definitely be offering contracts to Oakley, Muirhead and Crawford, while Garrity should really get an offer as well. There are arguments to be made for them both as players, but if you then give contracts to Quitongo and McGrattan as well you've got no room to upgrade your attacking options and we evidently need to.

Quitongo is dynamite when he's on form but it doesn't happen often enough and he's injury prone to boot. You can carry an injury prone player in a small squad if you know you'll get performances out of them when available: there's always a chance injuries will hit and you won't get more than 20 games out of Iain Wilson over a season, but you know he'll be a class act when he's fully fit. There's a chance you'll only get 20 games out of Quitongo while you can't guarantee you'll get performances out of him either, and all of a sudden you're giving a player a wage for a season for the sake of 5 or 6 good games. He's turned out to be a far better signing than expected over the two seasons but he's an obvious player to look for an upgrade on.

McGrattan's probably in a similar position to Lyon when he left in that there have been more than enough displays of his natural ability to see there could be a Championship player there and it would be no surprise to see him back at this level playing well against us in a few years, but this season was his time to kick on and he hasn't done it. I was a huge fan of his last season and he showed then that he does have the ability to make a difference in games at this level, but while you can offer mitigating circumstances about being stuck at right back earlier this season then not getting a consistent run of games on the wing since, ultimately he's just not done enough when he's been given games. Garrity hasn't had consistent starts either and has also had to suffer the hindrance of playing with Tyler French, but has stepped up and delivered far more of an end product when he's gotten chances which makes him more deserving of a contract.

Same argument applies to Power and Gillespie: you keep one of them as cover and look for an upgrade to start alongside Wilson. If you keep them both then we've too many central midfielders for an upgrade to be possible. Clearly Power has been Imrie's preference for most of the season and like Quitongo, if Gillespie goes this summer he goes down as a signing who's been far better than expected over his two seasons with the club. Power's recent performances do raise an eyebrow about having the legs for another season though and we certainly can't be going into next season with him in our strongest XI.

Garrity is in the same position McGrattan was in this time last season. He's done well, made a positive impact on the team and has the chance to make the position his own going forward. Turning 22, he's not a boy anymore, but for me he has so much more ability than McGrattan. A joy to watch at times, both when running at defenders and from dead balls. If he can improve on the defensive side he'll play at a higher level no doubt. 

20 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

They'll be dancing in the streets of Morten today on the TWENTY-FIFTH anniversary of their last win in a competitive match in Paisley.

Here's the highlights, don't say I'm not good to you. 

You walked out early that afternoon! :P

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Your recall is better than mine. If it wasn't for the video evidence I would have said it didn't happen. 

Rest assured that we all gave you a wave as you left. 😉

On 10/04/2024 at 10:18, Ferguson said:

Now that we're more or less consigned to a dull mid-table finish (assuming we don't somehow tumble into 9th, which we're getting uncomfortably close to) it's approaching the time to start thinking to next season. 

Already signed up

Mullen, Baird, Wilson, King, O'Boy, Bearne, Davies - No major gripes with any of these, decent spine to build from and some players with points to prove. Big year for King and Bearne.

Must keep

Strapp, Oakley, Crawford - All nearly impossible to replace in terms of quality in the player market we need to operate in. We'll do well to hold onto them.

Should keep

Muirhead, Garrity, Blues, O'Connor - All have played a big part at times this season, but have also shown they need quality around them before they can be effective. Probably harsh to not have Muirhead as a must keep as his goal return is very difficult to replace and we'd likely be down with Arbroath without him, but he has his obvious drawbacks and has had extended periods where he's offered very little. He should stay but we need better competition for his place next season when he's off the boil.

50/50

Waters, French, Power, McGrattan, Gillespie, Quitongo - Wouldn't have any big problems with any of these staying or leaving. Power a level above the rest, but I'm not sure he has another year in him. The rest have been OK, but they're not going to be starters in a team that fits this 3 year strategy to consolidate us as a top 16 team. If I had to pick one to get rid of it would be French, can do better.

Release

Broadfoot and McDonald - Goes without saying really. Both contributed at times this season but have also cost us a lot of points.

For me,

Must Keep

Strapp - Leagues above Waters

Oakley -

Crawford - Crucial player. Amazing on his day

O'Connor - DO'C + Baird is our best defensive pairing, and one of the best in the league.

Blues - Solid midfield player.

Should Keep

Muirhead - One of the most important players on the side, but prone to losing confidence. If we lose Quitongo/McGrattan/Garrity, we'll need him.

Garrity - Taking a jump up from Annan and straight into the first team isn't exactly an easy task, but he's made it look so. He's been really good so far.

Maybe Keep

Power - Even if he doesn't have another year left as a starting player, he could be a handy player for 60mins or coming on late to control the midfield.

Gillespie - Similar to Power.

Quitongo - Not had his best year ever, injuries and all, but still knows how to take on a defense. I can see him leaving but I'd like him to stay.

McGrattan - A really good player last season, he's been a bit underwhelming for me in his appearances this term. I would like to see him stay, but I think his best move may be to depart, and I dont think it'd do a terrible amihnt of damage to us if he did.

MacDonald - On his day, a really good goalkeeper. Seemed to peak up at Ibrox and downhill from there. If a replacement at a similar level can be found, I'd take him over MacDonald.

Show the door

Broadfoot - Broadfoot has been better than I think anyone anticipated this season, but the amount of points he's cost us - most comically at Raith at the start of the season - leaves me wanting a replacement. I wouldn't be entirely against retaining him in a coaching (or even player-coach for the sake of backup) role. He's experienced and knows the game.

French - An OK defender, but he's frustrating to watch and can't attack for his life - which can leave us too focused on the left side when going forward.

Harkness - Is he even still with us? Unfortunate to pick up an injury almost instantly after joining, to end your entire season (some injury that must have been..), but I wouldn't bring him back in (if he's fit) solely because we need a higher quality of right-back.

On 10/04/2024 at 10:18, Ferguson said:

Now that we're more or less consigned to a dull mid-table finish (assuming we don't somehow tumble into 9th, which we're getting uncomfortably close to) it's approaching the time to start thinking to next season. 

Already signed up

Mullen, Baird, Wilson, King, O'Boy, Bearne, Davies - No major gripes with any of these, decent spine to build from and some players with points to prove. Big year for King and Bearne.

Must keep

Strapp, Oakley, Crawford - All nearly impossible to replace in terms of quality in the player market we need to operate in. We'll do well to hold onto them.

Should keep

Muirhead, Garrity, Blues, O'Connor - All have played a big part at times this season, but have also shown they need quality around them before they can be effective. Probably harsh to not have Muirhead as a must keep as his goal return is very difficult to replace and we'd likely be down with Arbroath without him, but he has his obvious drawbacks and has had extended periods where he's offered very little. He should stay but we need better competition for his place next season when he's off the boil.

50/50

Waters, French, Power, McGrattan, Gillespie, Quitongo - Wouldn't have any big problems with any of these staying or leaving. Power a level above the rest, but I'm not sure he has another year in him. The rest have been OK, but they're not going to be starters in a team that fits this 3 year strategy to consolidate us as a top 16 team. If I had to pick one to get rid of it would be French, can do better.

Release

Broadfoot and McDonald - Goes without saying really. Both contributed at times this season but have also cost us a lot of points.

Pretty much spot on for me. Of the 50/50s I’d like us to keep one of Gillespie or Power as a backup/cover for Wilson. Presumably Gillespie is the cheaper (and is the younger) option so probably him. 

Would keep Waters if Strapp goes but no sense in keeping both with their lack of versatility. 

I’d like us to keep Quitongo. He’s had terrible injury problems this season but played a lot last year without too many issues so hopefully after an end of season rest we can get him back fit and contributing regularly next season. That could give us Muirhead, Garrity, Bearne, Davies and Quitongo as primary wide options. Plenty of cover and competition for places. 

What a disappointment it is for us to be happy to let McGrattan go. He just hasn’t kicked on. He’s way down the pecking order as a winger, and even with Crawford’s dip in form this season he hasn’t done enough to challenge in that attacking midfield role, which would seem to suit him more than others in the squad. His place in the squad can be taken by King and/or O’Boy, hopefully they can provide competition in the short term without fading like Lyon and McGrattan. 

Priorities on the shopping list are a keeper, right back, centre back, centre mid and striker. Quite a big ask to find the required quality in all those roles. 

O'Connor and Baird are quite clearly not 'one of the best partnerships in the league', which is why the former has spent the entire season struggling to win his spot over Kirk Broadfoot (87). With only the possible exception of Airdrie, none of the top half teams right now would be falling over themselves to break up such a momentous 'partnership'. 

I'd offer O'Connor a new deal but only if we can sign serious competition for centre back, with Darragh going into next season as our centre/right back cover option. He needs to earn a starting spot instead of dining out on a decent first season - reminiscent of Baird in his first spell at the club who was also overrated by the fanbase when his overall performance level was too inconsistent to make a genuinely effective defender.

On 10/04/2024 at 17:14, Colkitto said:

McDonald when fit is one of the best keepers in this division. 

If Strapp goes then Waters is a very decent player at this level. 

This degree of utter delusion (see also our centre back partnership above) is why we can't actually have nice things. Even when all available evidence from recent weeks points to the need for an utterly ruthless purge of deadwood, you never disappoint in puffing up gubbins squad filler. 

I understand we operate in a slightly different market, and have been able to get much more out of players that previously looked done at this level, however; 

If you cannot see wnother team in the division signing the player up (Quitongo, McGrattan, Waters), there is little to no point in keeping them if we have aspirations of being promotion contenders.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

This degree of utter delusion (see also our centre back partnership above) is why we can't actually have nice things. Even when all available evidence from recent weeks points to the need for an utterly ruthless purge of deadwood, you never disappoint in puffing up gubbins squad filler. 

There is no issue with McDonald's ability, only his fitness. Throughout his career he has been an excellent keeper. Also played a blinder for us at Ibrox too. I don't know what his injury is but if he can fully recover then we really should be considering him. Whether he would want to be back up to Mullen at his age maybe a deciding  factor of course.  

Waters is a competent player at this level. I don't see an issue in keeping him next season.

Who knows what our budget will be next season. We need to increase the size of the squad for sure. 

It would be great to upgrade in all positions, but budget restrictions may hamper that. Giving a contract to competent players like Waters, who really haven't let us down is maybe an unavoidable route we will have to take

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

I understand we operate in a slightly different market, and have been able to get much more out of players that previously looked done at this level, however; 

If you cannot see wnother team in the division signing the player up (Quitongo, McGrattan, Waters), there is little to no point in keeping them if we have aspirations of being promotion contenders.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of the three sign up at a championship club next year if we release them. All have proven records of performing well at this level. Waters in particular would be a sensible signing for any club in our division with a vacancy at left back. 

18 minutes ago, Chicken Soup said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of the three sign up at a championship club next year if we release them. All have proven records of performing well at this level. Waters in particular would be a sensible signing for any club in our division with a vacancy at left back. 

I will eat my hat if Quitongo gets a club in this division. 

12 hours ago, Chicken Soup said:

I struggle to see Quitongo or McGrattan getting another Championship gig. At most, they'll spend a season in and out of a dilapidated Ayr/Queens Park team, making 24 appearances and scoring 3 goals, 2 of which come in a drab Tuesday night match at Cappielow in November.

14 hours ago, Colkitto said:

There is no issue with McDonald's ability, only his fitness. Throughout his career he has been an excellent keeper. Also played a blinder for us at Ibrox too. I don't know what his injury is but if he can fully recover then we really should be considering him. Whether he would want to be back up to Mullen at his age maybe a deciding  factor of course.  

Waters is a competent player at this level. I don't see an issue in keeping him next season.

Who knows what our budget will be next season. We need to increase the size of the squad for sure. 

It would be great to upgrade in all positions, but budget restrictions may hamper that. Giving a contract to competent players like Waters, who really haven't let us down is maybe an unavoidable route we will have to take

I haven't been impressed with macdonald at all. Mullen has been far better.

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

I haven't been impressed with macdonald at all. Mullen has been far better.

I thought he was excellent at Ibrox and he's someone who's always impressed me. I don't see someone of his age sitting on the bench as Mullen will be our No. 1

So can't see him staying regardless..

We do however require an adequate back up to Mullen as he won't play every game next season. Murdoch is not the answer as yet