Premier League 2015-16

To be fair to Liverpool, the Caulker signing is purely down to the injuries they have at present.

I'd be amazed if Liverpool bought him at the end of he loan deal.

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People seem to be ignoring that the price reflects the needs of the buying club as much as the perceived ability of the player.

We're in a relegation battle, and all of our current central midfielders are 5'7, only ever pass the ball 5 yards and go into shock if they cross the halfway line.

Name me another forward thinking central midfielder who is proven at this level and that we could realistically get for less than £12 m?

Well you could've got Cabaye for £11 million in the summer.

That actually looks pretty decent if he could recapture his Verona form. Mental that diddies like Bournemouth are paying that kind of money right enough.

£7m for Grabban though. :lol:

Saw Grabban for Norwich against Watford earlier in the season and he was the number one target from the Norwich fans, they didn't like him.

I don't think it's a certainty that Shelvey at £12m is a better buy than Grabban at £7m.

:lol: Grabbans been signed as the fourth choice striker behind Rantie, Afobe and Murray, and will slip even further down once Wilson returns. He'll likely struggle to break 10 starts for the club.

Swansea are in very real danger of going down this season by my reckoning. If I was a Newcastle fan I'd be concerned as to why a team in such a predicament would be so keen to sell to a direct rival. Although £12 million is a vast sum for such an average player, it pales into insignificance compared to the financial implications of relegation and missing out on the TV money, so I can't imagine it's the money that has convinced them.

Garry Monk called him lazy in the past, and I'm sure it was his attitude that saw him getting shipped out by Liverpool.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/28/swansea-garry-monk-jonjo-shelvey

Swansea have absolutely no money, which is why they're left with an abysmal squad and are selling off assets. Their chairmans rather Geoff Brown-esque in that he'd rather be relegated and rebuild than spend money they dont have staying up.

People seem to be ignoring that the price reflects the needs of the buying club as much as the perceived ability of the player.

We're in a relegation battle, and all of our current central midfielders are 5'7, only ever pass the ball 5 yards and go into shock if they cross the halfway line.

Name me another forward thinking central midfielder who is proven at this level and that we could realistically get for less than £12 m?

James Morrison.

Shelvey is a decent signing for £12 million in this day and age. Particularly in January when prices are inflated. Quite a safe signing in that they know he is an established Premier League player, whereas most of Newcastle's signings are gambling on guys from France or Holland who could well not be good enough.

He's 30 in May, Shelvey is arguably better and it would probably take more than that to get him away from WBA seeing as they're under no pressure to sell and he's one of their best players.

Shelvey is not a better player than Morrison.

Archived