When will indyref2 happen?

Colkitto

Indyref2  

819 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

I agree with every word. I do however think there are more competent speakers from a Unionst perspective so I don't think it's quite that bad but we should definitely but Mundell Jnr on the subs bench for now 😂

Yes he is not in the first team selection but from the current set of MSPs and indeed MPs of the Unionist perspective, no one instantly came to my mind. I did like Tomkins who has some intellectual gravity but he is going. On the Labour side I respect Sarwar but I think his New Labour tinge will hold him back. As for the Liberals ??? Outwith the political parties  then whi knows. If it were to be the "Scots" at Westminster like Gove/Jack/Forsyth "Leavers" I think they would fail. Of course there may not be Indy 2 but the May election will feature many voices.

11 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It’s a “Border constituency” but not a “Borders constituency”

Presumably they don’t play enough Rugby or have enough common ridings to be “Borders” proper.

Although arguably Langholm is Borders even though they pay D&G council tax

I do tend to see them as Border/Borders right enough. Most of the election studies I have read refer to the area as the Borders. If only Rory the Tory had won the leadership we could have just called them the Borderlands and built another cairn.  The Borders  constituency voting does seem to be based on a concern about the dominance of the Central Belt from the Labour Landslide of 1945 right through all our referendums. I have no views about Rugby as I have no idea how the game actually works but you could well be right about that and the ridings. Thankfully we managed to beat the Gala football team by 11 goals in the Scottish cup about a decade ago. ( The only win for some time!) Stay safe

Edited by Chapelhall chap

7 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Presumably they don’t play enough Rugby or have enough common ridings to be “Borders” proper.

It's all the Borders. 

Ax01756.thumb.jpg.e7476f35a932ff3b9fd9e99f2a475326.jpg

15 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes he is not in the first team selection but from the current set of MSPs and indeed MPs of the Unionist perspective, no one instantly came to my mind. I did like Tomkins who has some intellectual gravity but he is going. On the Labour side I respect Sarwar but I think his New Labour tinge will hold him back. As for the Liberals ??? Outwith the political parties  then whi knows. If it were to be the "Scots" at Westminster like Gove/Jack/Forsyth "Leavers" I think they would fail. Of course there may not be Indy 2 but the May election will feature many voices.

I have more faith in people like Gove, Darling and Brown than I do any of the Scottish based members including Ross etc.. Davidson is good tbf but she's really the best of a bad bunch imo. 

I also detest Rubgy and all the local traditions of the Borders, the only good part is that we're predominantly Unionist. As someone that enjoys history I do like to point out the idea that understandably people that live in the Borders regions tend to have more in common with people on the near side of the border than those in power North or South and have understandably had more of a practical autonomy rather than picking a side ideologically, so to speak. 

6 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

I have more faith in people like Gove, Darling and Brown than I do any of the Scottish based members including Ross etc.. Davidson is good tbf but she's really the best of a bad bunch imo. 

I also detest Rubgy and all the local traditions of the Borders, the only good part is that we're predominantly Unionist. As someone that enjoys history I do like to point out the idea that understandably people that live in the Borders regions tend to have more in common with people on the near side of the border than those in power North or South and have understandably had more of a practical autonomy rather than picking a side ideologically, so to speak. 

Apart from Gove I feel the other two are "Yesterdays men"  and not actually being prepared to stand for elections might not stand them in good stead. That might also apply to Davidson if she goes to the Lords. What you say about Ross certainly has the ring of truth and although I had little time for Carlaw , he was well and truly shafted.  I think you do have a good point about Border areas in general ( Northern Ireland border areas detesting Brexit?)  but it will all become apparent when the actual election campaign begins. Off to watch Sky football which I do understand. Take care 

50 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I have to admit, I do miss those Braw Lads Gatherings. Man, that is some piss-up. I think there might be some horses as well. Can't remember.

4 hours ago, Stormzy said:

Maybe the borders can join the independent Northumbria someday then.

She doffed her cap to work with a party that has an open hatred for same sex relationships. She'd fold like a shite deckchair if the money was right.
To actually be a Tory you are either the 1% of them that wears the boot, or the 99% that lick it, in the desperate but forlorn hope that you will put it in one day.

Same goes for their voters tbh.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

To actually be a Tory you are either the 1% of them that wears the boot, or the 99% that lick it, in the desperate but forlorn hope that you will put it in one day.

Quite. 

You can understand the 1%ers being Tories - let's face it, most of them have got rich on the back of being both sociopaths and selfish. They're the ideal Tories and understandably want to protect themselves by voting for a party (or donating to one) which will achieve that aim. 

It's aspirational Tories you have to laugh at. A collection of absolute never-will-be's who think that getting the latest Audi on finance and drowning in mortgage debt on some identikit surburban Scotia home somehow means they're "one of them" despite the fact that the Tory they voted for probably wouldn't pish on them if they were on fire. It's literally impossible to have the slightest shred of respect for those people. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I get the sense a lot of the Tory vote comes from those who like to be considered or labeled as "a Tory voter" - they know the policies don't help them or their family one bit but it is more important for others to consider them to be a Tory voter.

On 14/02/2021 at 10:21, SandyCromarty said:

Now I'm a liar, Dearie Me?

Consider that the Pound Sterling is controlled by a non EU state then it follows that Scotland could not enter the EU with that currency and would have to create it's own Central Bank as defined in the following;

From The Treaty of the Union

Chapter 1 Economic Policy

bArticle 131

(ex Article 109 TEC)

Each Member State shall ensure that its national legislation including the statutes of its national central bank is compatible with the Treaties and the Statute of the ESCB and of the ECB.   

The Growth Commission recommends the creation of a Scottish Central Bank, Sandy. There is no barrier to having one.

6 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

The Growth Commission recommends the creation of a Scottish Central Bank, Sandy. There is no barrier to having one.

The Growth Commission was created by the Scottish/SNP Government to analyse and report on economic policy.

The SNP are fully aware that an application for EU membership must include the creation of a Central Bank which will have it's own currency.

I have mentioned this several times and have not described any barriers to Scotland creating a Central Bank.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

The Growth Commission was created by the Scottish/SNP Government to analyse and report on economic policy.

The SNP are fully aware that an application for EU membership must include the creation of a Central Bank which will have it's own currency.

I have mentioned this several times and have not described any barriers to Scotland creating a Central Bank.

I wouldn’t imagine there are any barriers to creating a Central Bank but will it have adequate reserves to sustain the huge amount of debt Scotland will be racking up as admitted by the Growth Commission. What will interest rates be ? What will be the cost of mortgages?

People will need lots of answers before they trust you with their finances.

All sounds very dodgy to me!!

In other words - ‘No thanks!’

Yet again, there is no requirement for an independent currency in the accession criteria. Zero. None. Nada. Why do you insist on peddling a lie?

17 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:
3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Yet again, there is no requirement for an independent currency in the accession criteria. Zero. None. Nada. Why do you insist on peddling a lie?

On applying for EU membership the applicant must have it's own Central Bank.

Central Banks are national institutions which control the commercial banking field, interest rates, money in circulation and currency.

To suggest that Scotland would create it's own Central Bank and not have it's own currency tied to that bank is ludicrous and would obviously deter an EU membership application.

We cannot apply for EU membership while we are tied to a non EU state bank such as the Bank of England.

But you prefer the lie rather than fact so go ahead, I've no more to say on the matter.

Sandy

Why are you so obsessed about joining the EU?

This is an outdated, failing organisation which is progressively seeing diminishing amounts of world trade.

It is cumbersome and slow (witness the vaccine fiasco) and is designed primarily for the economies of Germany and France.

The southern EU states are suffering badly.

As expected, it will take the UK some time to get itself together but, apart from trade border problems, it hasn’t been the disaster that folks like you keep hoping for.

Far better to be an independent state.

Thought that’s what the SNP was all about.

On applying for EU membership the applicant must have it's own Central Bank.
Central Banks are national institutions which control the commercial banking field, interest rates, money in circulation and currency.
To suggest that Scotland would create it's own Central Bank and not have it's own currency tied to that bank is ludicrous and would obviously deter an EU membership application.
We cannot apply for EU membership while we are tied to a non EU state bank such as the Bank of England.
But you prefer the lie rather than fact so go ahead, I've no more to say on the matter.

Every country in the Eurozone has a central bank despite having a shared currency. The growth commission recommended the creation of a Scottish central bank and sharing sterling. There is nothing in the accession criteria that requires an independent currency. These are facts.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I wouldn’t imagine there are any barriers to creating a Central Bank but will it have adequate reserves to sustain the huge amount of debt Scotland will be racking up as admitted by the Growth Commission. What will interest rates be ? What will be the cost of mortgages?

People will need lots of answers before they trust you with their finances.

All sounds very dodgy to me!!

In other words - ‘No thanks!’

You. Voted. For. Brexit.

Having voted in a referendum based on nothing more than wet dreams and lies from dodgy spivs, you have about as much right to demand answers before a referendum as Fred West did in demanding to know whether his garden would be put back in order when the polis started digging.

36 minutes ago, Antlion said:

You. Voted. For. Brexit.

Having voted in a referendum based on nothing more than wet dreams and lies from dodgy spivs, you have about as much right to demand answers before a referendum as Fred West did in demanding to know whether his garden would be put back in order when the polis started digging.

Every post you make you talk hyperbolic about wet dreams, shite or pish. What's aw that about?