The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

One of the real benefits of Twitter has been seeing absolute ghouls like Jim Spence and Graham Spiers shown up for what they are.

Looks like the bears were right all along about those two.

10 hours ago, G51 said:

I think Hope Solo's point is about the type of criticism Spiers is making. It's one thing to say "Women goalkeepers are underdeveloped because of a lack of resources and training" (true), but it's a totally different thing to say "There is a biological reason why women cannot be good goalkeepers" (false).

One of those makes you look like you've thought a wee bit about why this is happening. The other makes you look like an idiot.

Smaller size? 

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I’ve seen Hope Solo’s nudes so I’ll take her side. And no your friend can’t ask for a link because they were on a pals phone.

Han will probably be having a word with you....

Obviously spiers has gone full ‘yer da’ there but I must admit when I’ve watched women’s football there has been some genuinely horrendous goalkeeping at times.

You can’t then extrapolate that to a ‘women are shit at goalkeeping’ viewpoint but it certainly has been noticeable. 

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Obviously spiers has gone full ‘yer da’ there but I must admit when I’ve watched women’s football there has been some genuinely horrendous goalkeeping at times.

You can’t then extrapolate that to a ‘women are shit at goalkeeping’ viewpoint but it certainly has been noticeable. 

Any more shite than, for example, Joe Hart?

I appreciate this is of little relevance to this thread but I recently read Hope Solo's book and discovered her hometown of Richland is where the atomic bombs were made that ended World War Two. The school team is called the Bombers, the slogan is "proud of the cloud" and the fans shout "nuke 'em" during games.

It sounded complete bullshit or the sort of thing you'd get from The Simpsons but it was absolutely true.

Japanese exchange student shares thoughts on high school's mushroom cloud  mascot | Boing Boing

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

I appreciate this is of little relevance to this thread but I recently read Hope Solo's book and discovered her hometown of Richland is where the atomic bombs were made that ended World War Two. The school team is called the Bombers, the slogan is "proud of the cloud" and the fans shout "nuke 'em" during games.

It sounded complete bullshit or the sort of thing you'd get from The Simpsons but it was absolutely true.

Japanese exchange student shares thoughts on high school's mushroom cloud  mascot | Boing Boing

Maybe that's why her fanny is suffering fallout?

Speirs is a fud. He's a 'died' in the wool 'succulent lamb' journalist. Met him in a west end pub years ago when he worked for the Herald. He had no knowledgable insight in to any team in the top Scottish league outside the bigot brothers. It's people like him that are responsible for the dreadful journalism we are subject to. A dinosaur.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I've seen some terrible goalkeeping in men's football too, even from top class keepers playing in the World Cup and European level.

What i would say though, men have a height advantage over them, for getting to shots into the top corners, or stretching saves to either side, i don't watch a lot of women's football but i haven't seen 6 ft 4/5/6/7 keepers in any of their games. In fact a lot of the ones i have seen looked under 6 foot, and i see Hope Solo is only 5ft 9, which would be really short for a male goalkeeper. 

11 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I've seen some terrible goalkeeping in men's football too, even from top class keepers playing in the World Cup and European level.

What i would say though, men have a height advantage over them, for getting to shots into the top corners, or stretching saves to either side, i don't watch a lot of women's football but i haven't seen 6 ft 4/5/6/7 keepers in any of their games. In fact a lot of the ones i have seen looked under 6 foot, and i see Hope Solo is only 5ft 9, which would be really short for a male goalkeeper. 

I think the height point is probably a good one. I’d imagine the average height of female keepers is a good bit below that of the men’s game. 

im also not denying there’s some terrible keeping in the men’s game either. Just entirely anecdotally, the games I saw at the World Cup it was the one area that I thought was generally poor. I’m not pretending that is a particularly learned opinion though. 

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

IMG_20201220_135306.thumb.jpg.51b7de4fdde2cf53cccef2c7c8840f5a.jpg

Our first victory apart from the one at Dunfermline, after Hopkin had left the club two days previously.

What gets me with shite like that is how easy it would've been to check. And it's not like it's a fact that they've slipped in towards the bottom of the piece somewhere; they've literally made it their angle. Just take 20 seconds to confirm it.

The headline for the Kilmarnock v Aberdeen match today. “Aberdeen power past 10 man Kilmarnock to go third.” Now it is actually factually correct, but to highlight the fact that Kilmarnock had 10 men for one kick of the ball is pushing it a little.