The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Radio Scotland's sports round up this morning tells us it's between Motherwell, Hamilton and Caley Thistle for the play-off spot.  That must come as a welcome relief for Dundee fans.

39 minutes ago, Helpma said:

Radio Scotland's sports round up this morning tells us it's between Motherwell, Hamilton and Caley Thistle for the play-off spot.  That must come as a welcome relief for Dundee fans.

'Tis the season of sports journalists failing at arithmetic. 

The best times are when a team might ordinarily be caught by two teams below them (i.e. the points gap to both is within 3x the number of games left), but because the teams play each other it's impossible for both to overtake.

See the papers are in full on unsettling mode with pretty much the entire Aberdeen squad today. I take it they're playing Rangers this week?

Wonder why they bother, with it being a meaningless game and Aberdeen having a cup final to focus on

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 02:30, Rugster said:

Keith Jackson not only won sports writer of the year, the c**t also won JOURNALIST of the year. Not sports journalist, but journalist, general. I despair. 

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 17:23, Savage Henry said:

Or nobody takes the award seriously?

I have no idea how Keith Jackson can be seen as the best journalist in the country. He can't write, for one thing. He's also an obnoxious troll on social media, and his broadcast views are a string of meaningless cliches.

I do notice that Graham Spiers and Tom English both tweeted their congratulations, seemingly straight faced.

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 22:07, HibeeJibee said:

Just to clarify...

... not only has he been crowned best sport journo 6yrs running: in the past year he surpassed all others including news, current affairs, undercover investigation, entertainment etc.?

:lol: :lol:

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 22:08, Rugster said:

Yes. I know it's hard to believe but it's true. He's a fucking bell end of a person too. 

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 22:15, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf it's been an exceptionally quiet year in the world of politics, international affairs, business, science, sport, music and film... I for one can only recall DR's OF transfer puff pieces.

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 22:23, Rugster said:

Bear in mind this six time winner of sports journalist of the year fell for a photoshopped meme picture as being the new Celtic strip a few years ago and ran it as a world exclusive. 

All of us here at P&B are hardly in a position to talk, collectively we voted vT this sites "most influential Poster ever" FFS!

Just let that fucking sink in!

When Saints marched to Hampden glory
Ten years ago, Steven Thompson was attending his first match as a St Mirren fan when the team travelled to Hampden to face Dundee United in the 1987 Scottish Cup final. One hundred and 20 minutes - and an "iconic" Ian Ferguson goal - later, the Paisley side lifted the Scottish Cup.

2017 - 1987 = 10. From the BBC website,surprise surprise, and repeated on two pages. Yet again, basic stuff.

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 14:15, HibeeJibee said:

Tbf it's been an exceptionally quiet year in the world of politics, international affairs, business, science, sport, music and film... I for one can only recall DR's OF transfer puff pieces.

Guy in my work regularly repeats things he's read on Rangers rumours.

Pretty much all of them are hysterical.

It fairly cheers me up in the mornings hearing how delusional they are

6 hours ago, 7-2 said:

When Saints marched to Hampden glory
Ten years ago, Steven Thompson was attending his first match as a St Mirren fan when the team travelled to Hampden to face Dundee United in the 1987 Scottish Cup final. One hundred and 20 minutes - and an "iconic" Ian Ferguson goal - later, the Paisley side lifted the Scottish Cup.

2017 - 1987 = 10. From the BBC website,surprise surprise, and repeated on two pages. Yet again, basic stuff.

It's not even like the wrote the number '10' and it could just be a typo, they wrote the actual word "ten".

Kilmarnock, already safe, drop to eighth place after a third defeat in four matches.....From the BBC match report tonight.

Really ? Last 4 games we've beaten Hamilton & ICT, lost to Dundee & Motherwell

On the 'Scope' thing, I think they believe there is a market for sort of long form journalism for the Old Firm masses. A sort of Old Firm 'Tell Him He's Pelé' if you will.

The thing is, whilst some Old Firm fans would be interested in that, the vast majority are relatively casual, and only support the team because either: The win lots, or they identify with a religion, and are therefore quite happy to read Daily Record Exclusives about the signing of Robin Van Persie, and some diddy former player slagging off the other side.

When you think about how petty the rivarly can be I can't see it being a success. Use the words Old Firm and you alienate the Celtic nutters, criticise something to do with Rangers and you alienate their nutters.

Be interesting to see if it takes off, but I strongly doubt it in such a saturated and freely available market.

On 2017-5-16 at 09:25, Stu said:

See the papers are in full on unsettling mode with pretty much the entire Aberdeen squad today. I take it they're playing Rangers this week?

That worked well, although I see we're getting some terrific deflection with nonsense from Caixinha.

Not journalism as such, but someone at Inverness Caley doesn't understand the meaning of "in our own hands".

Much like the Motherwell twitter feed, the ICT official account is just a fan with a blue tick, and the results are often laughably biased and/or inept.

This article has a fair few decent lines - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/scottish-game-needs-over-itself-10442259

"Part-time football is a prime example. It’s almost a dirty word in Scottish - and British - football. It’s up there with leprosy. The way it’s viewed we should be making some sides wear bells on the pitch."

"We’re going to have to face facts, we are fast approaching the stage where players are going to realise it’s just not feasible to have football as their main job in Scotland if you are playing outside the top 14 or 15 clubs"

It's not a horrendous article overall but the leprosy comment made me chuckle.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/seven-scots-rangers-boss-pedro-10448108

"Seven Scots Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha could target in his summer overhaul"

The list includes Motherwell's Ben Heneghan and Louis Moult who are both English.