The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

The inclusion of stories about Scots on the Scottish football page isn't anything new, nor is it unwarranted in my opinion. When things about Joey Barton end up in it it's a load of shite but Robertson is Scotland's starting left back - why shouldn't articles about him feature?

17 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The inclusion of stories about Scots on the Scottish football page isn't anything new, nor is it unwarranted in my opinion. When things about Joey Barton end up in it it's a load of shite but Robertson is Scotland's starting left back - why shouldn't articles about him feature?

I can understand the Robertson story on the basis of international interest. But is it relevant to anyone in Scotland care whether Lambert keeps Stoke up? I suppose there's that everlasting excuse that he once played for the one of the old firm.

17 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Seems to be a lot more of this creeping into the 'Scottish Football' section of the BBC website – where 'Scottish Football' is conflated with English football with a Scottish guy in it.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 21.00.37.png

I think the above is fairly mundane really - whoever spoke to Lambert to get a quote about Robertson probably asked about Stoke and created 2 pieces for the price of one - and was in the pub by lunchtime.

On the BBC Scottish Football website in general - it's a fucking shambles not to put too fine a point on it. With the resources that BBC Sport has, it could be a really interesting, well designed site, where it is easy to see what's going on in Scottish Football generally and has some good original content. Instead, it's a nightmare to navigate, does it's best to hide stuff and comes across as massively half-arsed. I guess they are constrained by the BBC corporate web templates - but it really needs a re-think.

17 hours ago, nsr said:

The BBC seem to be more interested in promoting women's football.

It's all they can afford. When it gets really popular, BT + Sky will come swooping and the BBC won't get a look in there either. Instead, you'll get exclusive live coverage of knitting from Long Stratton, Norfolk. 

3 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

It's all they can afford. When it gets really popular, BT + Sky will come swooping and the BBC won't get a look in there either. Instead, you'll get exclusive live coverage of knitting from Long Stratton, Norfolk. 

I watched a fascinating ladies knitting match from Long Stratton.  It was nip and tuck with plenty of needle but the home side had it sewn up long before the end of the row.

I watched a fascinating ladies knitting match from Long Stratton.  It was nip and tuck with plenty of needle but the home side had it sewn up long before the end of the row.

Other side dropped a few stitches. IMG_0475.jpg

5 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

They can purl up and die.

5 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

More likely Jersey.

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

All this media talk about Cowdenbeath playing for their place in senior football/similar.

What grade are they moving to if they lose, exactly... Juniors? Schools? Welfare?

I know you're the expert so will no doubt dish me out a full telt, but I thought that was more a reference to them possibly going bust if they went down?

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I know you're the expert so will no doubt dish me out a full telt, but I thought that was more a reference to them possibly going bust if they went down?

It gets trotted out every year; they're all playing for their place in "senior" football.

Eventually we'll be treated to the sight of a naked, broken HJ battering some ersehole like Chick Young on live TV after he uses the term incorrectly one too many times. The fundraiser for his legal defence could set a new P&B record.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It gets trotted out every year; they're all playing for their place in "senior" football.

Eventually we'll be treated to the sight of a naked, broken HJ battering some ersehole like Chick Young on live TV after he uses the term incorrectly one too many times. The fundraiser for his legal defence could set a new P&B record.

Fair enough.

Don't let any Dundee or Spartans fans run the JustGiving page.

I would pay to get watch that happen if Chick Young was guaranteed to be on the receiving end.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I am more than happy to contribute to this crowdfunding effort.