Watches

2 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

I was given a watch making experience for Christmas this year. Seems like a good couple of hours learning a bit about the company, watchmaking and putting together a custom timepiece. 

That with Kartel? 

Prices have shot up since I was meant to do it during first lockdown. 

2 hours ago, CountyFan said:

That sounds great, where do you do it? 

Kartel in St Andrews 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

That with Kartel? 

Prices have shot up since I was meant to do it during first lockdown. 

Yep, had a look at the website and it’s not cheap but a good gift. 

Edited by Netan Sansara

Not a new thing but when i was round at my folks house this afternoon my mum gave me her dad's old pocket watch as I'd mentioned about the previous one that i got from ebay (not done anything about fixing that one yet although I've just ordered up a few more tools and accessories with the intention of opening it up properly soon)

IMG_20211225_163047.thumb.jpg.bcf208097be0a3b751a26fdc528edd1e.jpg

No indication on what type of pocket watch it is however, when i opened up the caseback the hallmarks seem to imply it's Robert Pringles and Son, Birmingham (may just be the silver rather than anything to do with the watch itself) I am however not sure about the year because the hallmark implies that it could be 1901 however, along with my grandfathers signature and other etched names there is 1803 written on the inside of the case.

I managed to get it ticking but it stops pretty quick afterwards so something's not quite right with it.  So I'll either need to get it looked at by a local jeweller or brave it myself (after some considerable practice on another one!)

6 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

Not normally a big Tag fan but that is lovely. I’d say for a decent watch like that if you’re not confident then get someone to do it. 

i was given a watch making experience for Christmas this year. Seems like a good couple of hours learning a bit about the company, watchmaking and putting together a custom timepiece. It’s never going to rival a Rolex but the sentimental value behind it will mean it’s one that stays in the collection for a long time. 

5 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Dundee Derry colours always trump day-glo orange.  Everyone on this forum knows that! 

Very nice watch.   Personally I’d leave the experts to take out a link.  I certainly wouldn’t be practicing on your new watch.

Thank you, I will take it in to the jewelers to get the links out.

On 25/12/2021 at 14:43, CountyFan said:

I've another new Tissot on the way with Xmas money. Will throw a pic up when it arrives. 

Was looking for something "classic" and settled on this. Have my eye on something a bit more special but a few years yet until I can justify the expense. This one was £164. 

20211231_082703.jpg

On 25/12/2021 at 16:57, greendot said:

Not a new thing but when i was round at my folks house this afternoon my mum gave me her dad's old pocket watch as I'd mentioned about the previous one that i got from ebay (not done anything about fixing that one yet although I've just ordered up a few more tools and accessories with the intention of opening it up properly soon)

IMG_20211225_163047.thumb.jpg.bcf208097be0a3b751a26fdc528edd1e.jpg

No indication on what type of pocket watch it is however, when i opened up the caseback the hallmarks seem to imply it's Robert Pringles and Son, Birmingham (may just be the silver rather than anything to do with the watch itself) I am however not sure about the year because the hallmark implies that it could be 1901 however, along with my grandfathers signature and other etched names there is 1803 written on the inside of the case.

I managed to get it ticking but it stops pretty quick afterwards so something's not quite right with it.  So I'll either need to get it looked at by a local jeweller or brave it myself (after some considerable practice on another one!)

Speaking of Birmingham and timepieces....

Fun fact, my Great Grandfather and those before him were WF Evans and sons of Birmingham. They made internals for large clocks and skeleton clocks...

unnamed-1.jpg.9ee34cec487f9021db0edaba15e05f65.jpg1200px-Chamberlain_Clock_Jewellery_Quarter.thumb.jpg.82ac4152a994ad9fa97c8df5e3c80f79.jpgL0995-00.jpg.5782b666f8dfb6c51c12332529470d57.jpgEvans__Sons_Salop_Longcase_Clo_as288a264b.thumb.jpg.18db7683effc18d68c3e98af96d2df5a.jpg

I don't know much about the history of them, my grandmother was the only one who moved up to Scotland and she's long gone.

10 hours ago, dundeefc1783 said:

So been looking for a decent day to day watch for a while and picked up this Hamilton Khaki Field in Jan sale. Was looking for something quite simple so thought this fitted the bill perfectly...... 7c1a3f4a9608aa883091f1c3fb308a76.jpg1427f1829c098780b7fcd4f0f91c9047.jpg

Classic, what's the size of it 36/39mm?

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has spoiled me. Because of the watches posted here, I often browse some of the expensive stuff online. So when I met my new boss on Friday I immediately spotted what was on his wrist -

Luminor Marina - 44mm

pic doesn't do it justice. A really nice, understated watch that just screams quality. Between £5-7k though. 

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

This thread has spoiled me. Because of the watches posted here, I often browse some of the expensive stuff online. So when I met my new boss on Friday I immediately spotted what was on his wrist -

Luminor Marina - 44mm

pic doesn't do it justice. A really nice, understated watch that just screams quality. Between £5-7k though. 

I used to have a really good fake of this 10 or so years ago (innards gave out after 4/5 years, no surprise) and it always attracted compliments. I’d love a real one. 

• 1 month later...

So I recently bought an Apple Watch for general work use and fitness based activities.
So I was looking at dual watch winders for my two automatics. Has anyone got any thoughts on these contraptions? Are they worth it or is it just easier to wind the watches every few days when not in use for prolonged periods.
If anyone does have one, what models are decent, like I say I’m looking for one that will hold/Store two watches.

On 25/12/2021 at 13:35, Netan Sansara said:

Not normally a big Tag fan but that is lovely. I’d say for a decent watch like that if you’re not confident then get someone to do it. 

i was given a watch making experience for Christmas this year. Seems like a good couple of hours learning a bit about the company, watchmaking and putting together a custom timepiece. It’s never going to rival a Rolex but the sentimental value behind it will mean it’s one that stays in the collection for a long time. 

Have you used your experience yet? I got the same for my birthday last week (as well as an Apple Watch to replace my 6 year old garmin). Looking forward to having a nice watch for occasions. 

1 hour ago, glasgow_bairn said:

So I recently bought an Apple Watch for general work use and fitness based activities.
So I was looking at dual watch winders for my two automatics. Has anyone got any thoughts on these contraptions? Are they worth it or is it just easier to wind the watches every few days when not in use for prolonged periods.
If anyone does have one, what models are decent, like I say I’m looking for one that will hold/Store two watches.

This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Automatic-Watch-Winder-Box-Women/dp/B07XL7663J

It's not too expensive and does the job.

Two tips though 

1) Don't expect it to wind an unwound watch - it will only keep a fully wound watch running

2) Keep the watch crowns in the centre. If you put the crown on the outside, it will foul (and scratch) the cover

Any Omega experts?
Are there any major differences in day to day use between the Diver 300m and the Planet Ocean ranges? I wouldn't be using it for actual underwater exploration, I just really like the look of both.
Both are fantastic pieces, although I prefer the older seamaster 300m compared to the newer ones. Planet Ocean though is my preference but its more expensive.

Planet Ocean is a bit bigger as well, also looks tremendous with a rubber strap.

Good thread. My normal d2d watches are more of the sports variety - just upgraded to a Garmin Fenix 6 a few months ago, it is great.

However, this thread is probably more interested in the Omega Constellation I was left by my dad. It is 1960s, a lovely watch, a good size for me as its quite small and my wrists are not massive - but gold really isnt for me. If it was in SS I would definitely wear it at formal occasions etc.

IMG_20160428_085919.jpg

IMG_20160428_085915.jpg

IMG_20160428_085927.jpg