St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St Mirren will be okay, enough people care enough about them. Even going down could be a positive to get everyone pulling in the same direction

Falkirk's accounts are very minimal information but turnover is 3.1m and the board say we don't go higher than 60% wages to turnover, safe to say our wages are similar to St Mirren.

Teams like St mirren, Dunfermline, Falkirk going down to League 1 is an embarrassment but can be necessary to get a winning team and a winning habit but more importantly get fans enthusiastic about watching a winning team again.

I think St Mirren will survive, I agree with Div, they have decent players and they will show this by the end of the season

St Mirren will be okay, enough people care enough about them. Even going down could be a positive to get everyone pulling in the same direction

Falkirk's accounts are very minimal information but turnover is 3.1m and the board say we don't go higher than 60% wages to turnover, safe to say our wages are similar to St Mirren.

Teams like St mirren, Dunfermline, Falkirk going down to League 1 is an embarrassment but can be necessary to get a winning team and a winning habit but more importantly get fans enthusiastic about watching a winning team again.

I think St Mirren will survive, I agree with Div, they have decent players and they will show this by the end of the season

Wrong.

6 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

You paint a rosy picture about relegation to League 1 - it's not, it's soul destroying stuff!  

Relegation is a dreadful experience, especially into the seaside leagues playing in front of a couple of hundred supporters most weeks.  

Not confident at all that we can turn this around, we have a losing mentality and I really can see it turning for us.

We have some decent young players but that's about it, the majority are useless & don't seen to be too bothered about the mess they have us in.

If we manage to escape relegation it would be a good achievement, even writing those words is ridiculous but it's where we are at the moment. Bad times.

St Mirren bring a lot more to this league financially than any of the clubs that might be promoted, especially for Morton where we get two home derbies each with well above  average crowds.  From that perspective, I hope they stay up.  I also think that a visit to the seaside leagues may seriously test the resilience of the fan ownership model (albeit that, strictly, they are not as yet in fan ownership) and they could be at risk. I would equally not want to see them in any danger of going out of business.

On the other hand, there's the Morton fan in me!

14 hours ago, Wasps1 said:

Read ma last post unsure of the breakdown off all clubs but am 100% sure that's the top six 

Mind you have players who are on 1k a week plus and that's a small wage 

Some are on 2 plus 

Bollocks

Top line £600 and that was last season

I would imagine that figure could well be less this season

16 hours ago, Wasps1 said:

I don't know exactly all the figures but the top six are 

Hibs 

Dundee utd 

St.mirren

Falkirk 

Dunfermline 

Raith

Hard to believe Falkirk are much bigger than Dunfermline.

I'd also say Farid and Nicky Clark are on more than than any Falkirk player.

1 hour ago, Uncle Scan said:

Bollocks

Top line £600 and that was last season

I would imagine that figure could well be less this season

I find it very, very hard to believe that St Mirren's highest paid player last season was on £600 a week.

18 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Anyone painting relegation to League 1 as a rosey picture obviously has never seen that happen to their side. It's a disaster for any relatively established club at this level.

Going down is absolutely awful, but then you get to play a bunch of roasters and watch some ridiculous scenes (see video at 4:34) for a season - before returning to the reality of 2nd-tier football, of course.

I find it very, very hard to believe that St Mirren's highest paid player last season was on £600 a week.

What sort of wage do you think they'd be on?

£600 a week might have been a basic salary, with appearance and win bonuses (ha!) etc on top of that.

I'd be surprised if St. Mirren's wage bill is the third highest in the league, but I genuinely don't know. I reckon outside of Hibs and Dundee Utd, and the part time teams, most wage budgets will be fairly similar.

22 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

What sort of wage do you think they'd be on?

£600 a week might have been a basic salary, with appearance and win bonuses (ha!) etc on top of that.

I'd be surprised if St. Mirren's wage bill is the third highest in the league, but I genuinely don't know. I reckon outside of Hibs and Dundee Utd, and the part time teams, most wage budgets will be fairly similar.

Just know that if Wasps1 says something, it's false most of the time. The fact that his guesswork sometimes comes true doesn't change anything.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Anyone painting relegation to League 1 as a rosey picture obviously has never seen that happen to their side. It's a disaster for any relatively established club at this level.

I remember we (not me in particular) used to slag Hamilton's away support in the top league. Well Peterhead, Stranraer and Albion Rovers might not even be able to match they sort of crowds combined. Home crowds might increase if we actually won some games but even at that we're not guaranteed to win games.

It's easy enough to sort out the wage bill because players are mainly on 1 year deals with the exception of a couple. It would be a case of using mainly under 20's with a couple of older guys thrown in.

Gordon Scott must be shitting himself.

Archived