St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I remember we (not me in particular) used to slag Hamilton's away support in the top league. Well Peterhead, Stranraer and Albion Rovers might not even be able to match they sort of crowds combined. Home crowds might increase if we actually won some games but even at that we're not guaranteed to win games.

It's easy enough to sort out the wage bill because players are mainly on 1 year deals with the exception of a couple. It would be a case of using mainly under 20's with a couple of older guys thrown in.

Gordon Scott must be shitting himself.

It's been a few years since we we're there,but unless the team was close by, would be lucky to see 80-100 away fans.

Going down a league is fine if you have a successful season and go back up with some style. Any more than one season is a fucking horror show.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is 0 chance they are finishing above us this season. We are dreadful, yet still superior to St. Mirren, which just shows how crap they are. 

Jack Ross was sitting at the top end of the table with a team that should be finishing top 4 in League 1. Managed to get them relegated last season from the Championship. Really don't understand the appointment and I think it's going to end up being a dreadful choice for St. Mirren. Feel they needed someone with the experience of keeping teams up or at least someone with a bit more managerial experience. 

10 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It's been a few years since we we're there,but unless the team was close by, would be lucky to see 80-100 away fans.

Going down a league is fine if you have a successful season and go back up with some style. Any more than one season is a fucking horror show.

This. We've spent most of the last ten years down there. It's tragic at times. Thankfully we never went full on Morton and ended up in League Two, although admittedly it was close once or twice.

Think I counted 19 fans once. It tells a story when you have been relying on crowds from Airdrie and Stranraer to make the difference.

11 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

This. We've spent most of the last ten years down there. It's tragic at times. Thankfully we never went full on Morton and ended up in League Two, although admittedly it was close once or twice.

I'd rather go full Morton than full Rangers (RIP)

But after the tyranny of Hugh Scott then the atrocious season with Cormack in charge where we went down to the 3rd watching Cowboy's all out attack nonsense and winning the league on the final day of the season was just beautiful. Possibly my favourite season watching Morton. f**k staying down there long but away days to Elgin and the like was a great year.

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'd rather go full Morton than full Rangers (RIP)

But after the tyranny of Hugh Scott then the atrocious season with Cormack in charge where we went down to the 3rd watching Cowboy's all out attack nonsense and winning the league on the final day of the season was just beautiful. Possibly my favourite season watching Morton. f**k staying down there long but away days to Elgin and the like was a great year.

I know what your saying, our play off win up at Brechin was one of the most enjoyable footballing days out ever for me, but I think we would rather neither scenario actually happened.

3 hours ago, Uncle Scan said:

Bollocks

Top line £600 and that was last season

I would imagine that figure could well be less this season

Really I can tell you some players on 1k per month 5/6 players and some on more you will know them the big named players. Alex Rae has been stung by them 

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

There is 0 chance they are finishing above us this season. We are dreadful, yet still superior to St. Mirren, which just shows how crap they are. 

Jack Ross was sitting at the top end of the table with a team that should be finishing top 4 in League 1. Managed to get them relegated last season from the Championship. Really don't understand the appointment and I think it's going to end up being a dreadful choice for St. Mirren. Feel they needed someone with the experience of keeping teams up or at least someone with a bit more managerial experience. 

Poor summary of his time with us. Ross inherited a dreadful Alloa team who had 1 win from 19 games. The team wasn't (near) good enough for the Championship and they looked a very dispirited bunch. He got them organised and motivated and the team did much better as the season went on. 21 points is a grim final tally, but given where we were in December it represented respectability. We also drew twice with Rangers and beat Hibs in the second half of the season. "Managed to get them relegated" is a daft way to sum up Jack Ross's efforts with Alloa last season.

Ross then quickly identified the players he wanted and assembled an almost new squad by the end of May. That new team won the first 10 games of the season, beating higher league opposition in ICT, Ross County and Raith along the way. They gave Celtic a better game at Parkhead than Aberdeen managed today, holding them at 0-0 till the 83rd minute. Had Craig Gordon been sent off for his wild tackle on Spence in the first half it might have been even better. Alloa should indeed "be finishing top 4 in League 1", but Jack Ross was getting much more than that out of them. Look at the results since he left. 

Ross wasn't at Alloa too long, but he showed he could get players to play well above themselves. Morale was clearly excellent and the players willing to give him everything. He was able to organise a poor side to scrap effectively against better opposition, then to get a more talented side playing some wonderful attacking football. I suspect he will turn St.Mirren around, however long that takes.

46 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Ross wasn't at Alloa too long, but he showed he could get players to play well above themselves. Morale was clearly excellent and the players willing to give him everything. He was able to organise a poor side to scrap effectively against better opposition, then to get a more talented side playing some wonderful attacking football. I suspect he will turn St.Mirren around, however long that takes.

St Mirren will have sacked him before he gets the opportunity to sort them

The current board have never sacked a manager they appointed so I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion :-)

7 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

No they won't. They'll be aware of the task that Ross has, and they'll give him the time. Whether they give him whatever else he needs remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Wow -  are you related to Div, by any chance?

To be fair Dundee leapt from the bottom of the league to 7th place with just one win on Saturday and are equal on points with the team in 6th.

So I don't think his optimism is blind by any stretch.

Mine on the other hand, yeah, that could be a fair criticism :thumsup2

We are now in more trouble than we were in January 2015. We now need 1.56 points per game for the rest of the season, or 36 points from the 23 remaining games. That's 12 wins, when we haven't looked close to getting one so far.

Of course it's theoretically possible, but if we don't get at least two wins on the board by Christmas then I think the bookies could be paying out in February.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We are now in more trouble than we were in January 2015. We now need 1.56 points per game for the rest of the season, or 36 points from the 23 remaining games. That's 12 wins, when we haven't looked close to getting one so far.

Of course it's theoretically possible, but if we don't get at least two wins on the board by Christmas then I think the bookies could be paying out in February.

Get a couple of wins by then to allow us to relegate you at Cappielow in March :D 

Archived