New Forth Road Bridge - Open/Closed still shit

D.A.F.C

Just arrived home in #Perthshire from Kirkcaldy via Friarton due to Tay Bridge being closed. King James golf course looked like you could have a pretty decent wind surfing event on it.

If Glenfarg had still been shut I faced the very real possibility of spending the night in Fife. I just want to tell each and very one of you i love and appreciate you and I'm away to phone my family and tell them the same. That was close.

As a qualified engineer I'd say the bridge was probably on annual visual inspections, possibly reduced to six monthly if there was any particular concerns. An entirely reasonable examination frequency. Would be interested to know if these defects were new or being monitored closely.

The photo I've seen shows a fatigue crack at a critical connection. Obviously not ideal. The problem then is identifying how quickly it has fractured and the extent of damage in other connections given the same detail would be replicated over the entire structure. They would have done this fairly quickly, and the fact the bridge is now closed suggests they didn't like what they found.

In terms of a fix, physically getting to these will be the biggest problem. Largely dependant on weather and whether or not it's reachable by a walkway (unlikely) or by roped access. Then you have to get steel plates done there to fix it. Interesting to see how this one pans out but glad it ain't my job. A month to fix it would be good going.

Take it it's been well guarded over the years.

Or else the Fifers would have poured through.

It connected the Kinneil and Valleyfield collieries and is probably still there even if the entrances to the old mine workings at both end are now blocked off. Not an answer to Scotland's transport issues obviously, but shows a tunnel was very much feasible and might have been the better option.

It connected the Kinneil and Valleyfield collieries and is probably still there even if the entrances to the old mine workings at both end are now blocked off. Not an answer to Scotland's transport issues obviously, but shows a tunnel was very much feasible and might have been the better option.

I was surprised to see it only shutdown in the late 70's.

As a qualified engineer I'd say the bridge was probably on annual visual inspections, possibly reduced to six monthly if there was any particular concerns. An entirely reasonable examination frequency. Would be interested to know if these defects were new or being monitored closely.

The photo I've seen shows a fatigue crack at a critical connection. Obviously not ideal. The problem then is identifying how quickly it has fractured and the extent of damage in other connections given the same detail would be replicated over the entire structure. They would have done this fairly quickly, and the fact the bridge is now closed suggests they didn't like what they found.

In terms of a fix, physically getting to these will be the biggest problem. Largely dependant on weather and whether or not it's reachable by a walkway (unlikely) or by roped access. Then you have to get steel plates done there to fix it. Interesting to see how this one pans out but glad it ain't my job. A month to fix it would be good going.

As posted earlier, the problem was identified in 2010 and a schedule of remedial works put into place. Which was cancelled.