New Forth Road Bridge - Open/Closed still shit

D.A.F.C

Was that not about the cables rather than the beams?

Title: Truss End Links Published by: Forth Road Bridge Publication Date: 25/05/2010 Application Deadline: Deadline Date: Cancelled Deadline Time: Notice Type: Contract Notice Has Documents: No Abstract: The Forth Road Bridge was opened in 1964 and now carries over 24 million vehicles per annum.

Assessments of the suspended structure and the truss end connections have identified that several of the key elements forming these connections are overstressed.

A feasibility study has been undertaken and a preferred option identified to strengthen the existing truss end link connection.

About the tunnel option: I did read once the location of the new bridge was not suitable for a tunnel due to the geology on the Fife side. It would either result in a dangerously steep tunnel exit, or a lengthy and costly diversion/extension of the tunnel well into Fife to avoid the problem rock.

Some guy did his dissertation on this, and identified an alternative route which would be viable. Can't find a link to the article I read on it, frustratingly!

I did find this nutter who wants to build tunnels everywhere, stopping just short I think of advocating a road link to Manhattan from Oban! http://www.thinkscotland.org/thinkpolitics/articles.html?read_full=11134&article=www.thinkscotland.org

That tunnel thing is ace. Good to see he's captured the all-important Whithorn to Isle of Man route that the whole country has been crying out for.

The guy is obviously getting a bit carried away, but there are examples in Shetland of relatively short crossings where a permanent fixed tunnel link could sensibly replace ferries in a similar manner to what the Faroese and Norwegians do:

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/8000-%C2%A37-5m-ferry-costs-strengthen-tunnels-case

and a longer tunnel from Caithness to Orkney would probably make sense:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/163-100m-tunnel-to-orkney-feasible-1-739095

Would it f**k. Plenty folk, like myself, still have to go and visit family. And I've still got xmas presents to take over to family in Fife.

Just nip away five minutes early!

Doesn't bother me that the bridge is shut as i dont really have any reason to cross it just now. My daughter is going to a wedding in South Queensferry in a couple of weeks and although she lives on this side, there are other people going that are from Fife. Could be a costly trip home in a taxi for some.