David Bowie

RadgerTheBadger

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bowie's fash connection might have been something to do with a relative that stood as a NF candidate.

That nice chap Eric Clapton was another one with jackboot politics.

Reading his wiki page this morning it seems he made a few comments to the press that were pro Hitler and pro facism, which he later tried to distance himself from by blaming the fact he was off his tits on class A's when he made the comments.

I'm sure Mary Whitehouse the TV Puritan had it in for Bowie wanting him banned off telly etc.

There was a photo years later of Bowie and Mary all chummy together at some do.

Both of them of course being a pair of rightwing chunts.

I had the outside tour promo cd, Morrissey was the support act for Bowie until they fell out very early in to the tour. I bought the CD (it had 2 tracks on it 1 from Bowie & the other from Moz) I'm a Moz fan, it cost me £50. I lost it in the house fire.

Ffs

Grimbo

Eta & to compound my sadness I never had him in my deadpool.

The NF were all about the sexually ambiguous mime artists in the 1970s. :rolleyes:

I like Bowie but I'm not one of those who has all his albums alphabetically categorised on my shelf in four different formats. He was a proper artist though and continued to do good work through his whole life. Even his drum and bass album holds up well.

Reading his wiki page this morning it seems he made a few comments to the press that were pro Hitler and pro facism, which he later tried to distance himself from by blaming the fact he was off his tits on class A's when he made the comments.

And he turns up 40 years later with the same politics as his pals running riot in George Square that Friday night.

I'd take it he's been a British Nationalist all along.

Great singer though.

He had a cracking run between the start of the 70s and the mid 80s where he seemed to have his ear to the ground for the next musical development and was able to synthesize a lot of them into his own thing - glam, Krautrock, New Romanticism for three off the top of my head, and he's left an amazing body of work which will remain influential for a long time.

By the 90s the instinct seemed to fail him a bit, as I imagine perhaps for health reasons he was no longer hanging about cutting-edge clubs and picking up on the next big thing, which resulted in a couple of clinkers like that godawful drum'n'bass thing he did about seven years too late to be relevant which was the audio equivalent of your drunk uncle dancing at a wedding.

I might be one of the few people on the planet that actually liked Tin Machine though.

Great musician and not afraid to reinvent himself regularly. Not a bad actor too, even alongside puppets.

Only cringey moment I can recall was saying the Lord's Prayer at the Freddie Mercury concert.

Will be sadly missed. Guess we'll never know what "1. Outside" was all about now.

Bowie's fash connection might have been something to do with a relative that stood as a NF candidate.

That nice chap Eric Clapton was another one with jackboot politics.

Aye, I only just read Clapton's wee speech a while back. Pretty shocking stuff, and never recanted. You get the impression that he just knows to keep his mouth when he's sober, not that his beliefs have changed any.

The missus was pretty devastated this morning. Think she'll be spending the day watching Labyrinth and whacking one out as he prances about in those tights.

The wife just asked if I thought Labyrinth would be on the TV tonight :lol:

Genuinely pretty gutted about this. A genius, the seminal solo artist of the last century and my favourite ever musician. Bought Blackstar yesterday but haven't given it a listen yet, walk home from work music sorted. One small positive is that I'd never heard this until today. Brilliant.

I thought his new album sounded very dark. I guess that's why.

Doesn't explain why there's quite so many saxophones on it

Bowie's first instrument was a saxophone. His half brother (who killed himself quite a while ago) loved jazz, so I guess Bowie wanted to have an album which resonates with that.

So did he pump Mick Jagger or not, then?

Apparently, and Slash's maw.

My favourite Bowie story is from the Berlin period; he used to store jars of pish in the fridge to keep a wizard away.

Seriously though, he has to go down as one of the most genuinely influential musicians of all time. An absolute genius.

Archived