St Mirren v Alloa Athletic 30/1/16

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clarkson performed very well indeed given his lack of match time. The difference of a player in the final third who can drop deep to pick the ball up, hold it and move it on is huge to us.

We still have a bad habit of inviting pressure onto us and don't create many chances but since Rae came in, there is bite again rather than looking like we're afraid to put a tackle in. Still many, many basics to work on but the difference in performance in the past month is definitely noticeable. Still not anywhere approaching good but enough to get by with for now.

Incorrect, hence why he wasn't then sent off, which would have been ridiculous if it happened.

Incorrect

The rule is a deliberate hand ball but some people also judge if the hand is in a unnatural position which it wasn't either. Also the shot was miss hit into the ground.

Seen on replay was a very poor decision from the ref only eclipsed by the linesman worst offside decision I've ever seen to flag shankland offside from a miss hit clearence.

We were fortunate though for very poor defensive mistakes from Alloa today. Happy with the 3 points though

Yeah I must say that offside was probably the most bizarre decision I've seen in 20 years of watching live football.

Alloa player shanks a clearance to our forward... Offside :lol:

The linesman obviously thought our player had kicked it, which was strange in itself. Even stranger though was the ref blowing up and not ignoring a clearly mistaken flag.

I thought Mallan, despite the goal, was poor today. He gave the ball away a lot today including under no pressure leading to the penalty.

The referee was a shambles, that penalty looked absolute nonsense, esp as he ruled Alloa's handball in the box accidental in the second half. That was the correct call but I didn't see how one was a penalty and the other wasn't. As for that offside call I don't understand that one. Perhaps he just felt sorry for the Alloa defender that sliced the clearance.

Anyway think we fully deserved the 3 points. We didn't play well but I think we were on top for large spells. Clarkson looks a good signing and the points were important given other results. Also good to get the home win monkey off our backs.

Rae has us more organised from the shambles under Murray. Alloa vastly improved too. Clear to see Ross had a huge influence at Dumbarton by our performances with Murray and the improvement of Alloa.

Mallan was dreadful first half. It seemed he was playing for the opposition as all he did was pass the ball to them..

We are missing that dig in midfield that Goodwin gives us. Quinn should get better with a run of games but its scary how much we miss our leader, don't know how we'll replace him in the summer/next summer unless Alex fancies playing again.

I would love to mould Jason Naismith into Goodwin's role, I reckon with the engine he has he would be excellent in that position.

Clarkson performed very well indeed given his lack of match time. The difference of a player in the final third who can drop deep to pick the ball up, hold it and move it on is huge to us.

I thought Clarkson was our best player today, it made a big difference having an intelligent player up front who makes clever touches and actually bothers his arse to chase the ball down. He wasn't afraid to have a good moan when he wasn't getting a pass either.

I thought Steven Thompson's body language told a story today. He did a ridiculously half-arsed warm up, didn't even break into a jog when he came on and waited at the centre-circle instead of celebrating the third goal. Not very professional conduct from our most experienced player.

I thought Clarkson was our best player today, it made a big difference having an intelligent player up front who makes clever touches and actually bothers his arse to chase the ball down. He wasn't afraid to have a good moan when he wasn't getting a pass either.

I thought Steven Thompson's body language told a story today. He did a ridiculously half-arsed warm up, didn't even break into a jog when he came on and waited at the centre-circle instead of celebrating the third goal. Not very professional conduct from our most experienced player.

Should have let him go in the Summer.

I noticed this too. Very strange from him.

How did cooper get on?

I thought he did very well when he came on at half-time. He was hungry with a bit of dig about him. Not afraid to take a man on and got in some decent crosses. Not great but good signs about him. Hopefully there is better still to come but he looked interested which is a lot more than could have been said about our squad since Goody got injured.

Did anyone else notice Webster having to give Thompson the captain's arm band for the brief period he was on? I didn't but my dad claims it happened.

Yeah he did. It was at a corner. Is Thompson not the captain?

Yeah he did. It was at a corner. Is Thompson not the captain?

He is but I didn't think that meant he automatically took over when he came on, especially when it's only for five minutes or so. Admittedly the way my dad made out it was if the only reason Webster went forward for the corner was to pass over the armband.

He is but I didn't think that meant he automatically took over when he came on, especially when it's only for five minutes or so. Admittedly the way my dad made out it was if the only reason Webster went forward for the corner was to pass over the armband.

Well, it was Webster who went to give over the armband. Didn't seem like a big deal to me or anyone sitting around me. I guess Webster thought if the captain is on the pitch, he should be the captain on the pitch.

Aye I'm pretty sure Andy passed it over then didn't take part in the corner, he ran back up the park.

I thought he did very well when he came on at half-time. He was hungry with a bit of dig about him. Not afraid to take a man on and got in some decent crosses. Not great but good signs about him. Hopefully there is better still to come but he looked interested which is a lot more than could have been said about our squad since Goody got injured.

That's his first league action this season, 25 mins from the bench in two cup games against peterhead and the shire been his lot. There is a player in there, the big thing is if you can get it out on match days, Ross County didn't manage and we didn't either, tho getting a chance this season didn't happen. I'm sure there will be press stories out the reasons why on our next visit...

Archived