General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

FWIW I first met the guy who is now my MP about 20 years ago while we were both unemployed and doing a digital media course.  He was editing a film he had made about running motorbike tours including a journey around the Himalayas.  After the course he became a financial advisor.

Just read his wiki and apparently he spent some time as a chef in France as well as gaining his degree in social anthropology.  Apparently he also spent time in the social care system as a teenager and cared for his mother who had MS.

Another guy I also knew about 25-30 years back through a different social circle ran a family pet shop.  I met him again when I got involved in my own small way at the referendum.  He ended up campaigning for the other guy to run as an MP the following year.  He still runs a portakabin selling pet foods every Sunday at a local car boot and has been in a relationship with an MSP for a few years and as far as I am aware still is.

Looking back then, I would not have said either would have been remotely involved in politics.

I'd like to be an MP.

"The right honorable gentleman for Nonceville is a seething mess Mr. Speaker. Look at him, his head is gone. Trying to push this bill through parliament is an absolute minter for this House"

52 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

I'd like to be an MP.

"The right honorable gentleman for Nonceville is a seething mess Mr. Speaker. Look at him, his head is gone. Trying to push this bill through parliament is an absolute minter for this House"

Presumably at the last election it was

"Nonceville. Conservative hold with an increased majority"

I'd like to be an MP.
Why speak and be confirmed an idiot when you can sit in the second row, contrinuting nowt except braying like a horny chimp and waving bits of paper around*

*for your admittedly grim, bordeline slave wage of 82k plus expenses

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Can you really not see why?

In that case, I assume you think the jury system is a bad one?

Sortition already happens in some political contexts, for example some caucuses in America. Whenever a politician promotes 'citizen assemblies', they are promoting sortition.

If you want to select the prime minister you have to pay a subscription to the Tory Party. I don't see why that's a better system than literally asking random, incorruptible  people to make decisions. 

In that case, I assume you think the jury system is a bad one?

No I don't. Assessing evidence of past events is a completely different task from contemplating the ramifications and risk of decisions that will effect the future.

I'd be confident of doing the first well but would not be comfortable doing the latter.

6 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

No I don't. Assessing evidence of past events is a completely different task from contemplating the ramifications and risk of decisions that will effect the future.

I'd be confident of doing the first well but would not be comfortable doing the latter.

I'd be confident that you'd do a better job than many current MPs, based solely on how you've described the role. 

I'd be confident that you'd do a better job than many current MPs, based solely on how you've described the role. 
Although I did say effect rather than affect, so I'm afraid I'll have to take myself out of the running and apologise to my supporters.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm still not sure why anything that results in someone becoming an MP makes them any more likely to make a good decision that will affect the future, as you say. 

No-one knows what will happen in the future. I want to be governed by people who admit they haven't got a clue either and are able to make decisions based on evidence put in front of them. 

For instance, is NS basing decisions on how it might impact independence. Or Boris Johnson with Brexit? Probably, and I wouldn't blame them since they owe their jobs to them supporting those issues. Sortition takes these issues away. 

On 08/10/2021 at 13:10, Dunfermline Don said:

Was it Billy Connolly who was said that the fact someone wanted to be a politician should immediately disqualify them from ever being one.

How about everyone gets a chance to serve as an MP, councillor, MSP etc on a similar way that people are selected for jury service. I can’t see that causing too many problems. I could certainly live on £82k and have a few mates in London who could let me kip on their sofa saving a bit on expenses! emoji2957.png

Can't remember who said it, but my favourite is "Politics is far too important to be left to politicians".

31 minutes ago, Antlion said:

You love to see it. Wonder what Johnson and the old crone make of the loss of another batch of “picanninies with watermelon smiles”. 

This will start as a trickle until such time as the Queen passes, at which point I expect a flood of resignations as countries exit the Commonwealth.

27 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This will start as a trickle until such time as the Queen passes, at which point I expect a flood of resignations as countries exit the Commonwealth.

Why - what is it about this man that doesn’t scream “natural and divinely appointed Head of State” of Tuvalu, Belize, Papua New Guinea, or Jamaica? 

89B57823-498D-4149-89CE-5E4923175EF8.jpeg

On 08/10/2021 at 13:10, Dunfermline Don said:

Was it Billy Connolly who was said that the fact someone wanted to be a politician should immediately disqualify them from ever being one.

How about everyone gets a chance to serve as an MP, councillor, MSP etc on a similar way that people are selected for jury service. I can’t see that causing too many problems. I could certainly live on £82k and have a few mates in London who could let me kip on their sofa saving a bit on expenses! emoji2957.png

9 hours ago, sparky88 said:

I'm still not sure why anything that results in someone becoming an MP makes them any more likely to make a good decision that will affect the future, as you say. 

No-one knows what will happen in the future. I want to be governed by people who admit they haven't got a clue either and are able to make decisions based on evidence put in front of them

For instance, is NS basing decisions on how it might impact independence. Or Boris Johnson with Brexit? Probably, and I wouldn't blame them since they owe their jobs to them supporting those issues. Sortition takes these issues away. 

I need to get my dyslexia sorted out. I thought that read "envelopes put in front of them"

18 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There are a few republics in the Commonwealth- India, Malta, Nigeria, South Africa, Fiji, Maldives and others.

With the 2022 election in the Philippines gearing  up I was wondering if it was worth starting a new thread.

Maybe it's only of interest to a few such as @hk blues, @Tight John McVeigh is a titand, possibly, @SlipperyPbut, having been there a couple of times and having a couple of Pinoy friends, I do take an interest.

Worth a new thread or just make occasional comments on here?

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

With the 2022 election in the Philippines gearing  up I was wondering if it was worth starting a new thread.

Maybe it's only of interest to a few such as @hk blues, @Tight John McVeigh is a titand, possibly, @SlipperyPbut, having been there a couple of times and having a couple of Pinoy friends, I do take an interest.

Worth a new thread or just make occasional comments on here?

I keep away from this section of the forum. Sorry.