Queen of the South vs. Raith Rovers

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic result again. We shouldn't get too carried away though. If Queen of the South win their remaining games and we field a couple of ineligible players we can still be caught....

I doubt this on both counts.

Yet again Rovers head off with the points when they didn't have that much pressure or that many chances. We have managed one point in four games

against them. They could well put Hibs out of the play offs ( assuming the green bottles keep accidentally falling off the wall) but will need plenty of stamina to go up. I hope they do.

They are certainly in a great run of form right now.

Fantastic result again. We shouldn't get too carried away though. If Queen of the South win their remaining games and we field a couple of ineligible players we can still be caught....

Kudos for the wee in-joke there MN, keep the cautionary warnings up for the playoff games. All 6 of them!

Well yes, I was aware of that and was very much including it in the stuff about it being remarkable.Thanks for your help though.

I wasn't trying to help you, simply adding to the discussion.

You hadn't mentioned the run, which others may not have been aware of.

Not sure why you seem so upset about it, to be honest

Gutted I couldn't make it but very chuffed.

What a fucking team spirit there is right now. We've achieved what most of us thought would be very hard fought, with time to spare. There isn't 17 points of quality between the sides. I just think we have been that bit more clinical and streetwise than our rivals over the piece.

Anything that happens now is bonus, I'm already absolutely delighted with what we have done this season. But don't get me wrong, absolutely buzzing and excited for the play offs.

Also kudos to Queens fans for the kind words. Very nice club and good people.

Guest Flash

Raith have taken 23 points from the last 10 games, which is joint best in the division.

Meanwhile, we have taken 7 points from the last 10 games, the second worst form in the division, 1 point more than Alloa and 4 less than Dumbarton.

Eta on 20 February we were a point behind with a game in hand. So the gap of 17 has been opened since then. It is fair to say that the gap is entirely down to Raith's form because in the same 10 fixtures earlier in the season, we actually took a point less, so we are no worse or better now than we were earlier in the season.

Ive noticed Jason Thomson since he has returned has inspired his team to go on this run. He was sorely missed it seems during his spell on the treatment table. A few observations from yesterday. Oliver had the mother of all stinkers. Thomson needs to be more confident coming out for crosses. Hutton has taken his time to get to this level, but now many could argue he is our best player. Tapping impressed me yesterday. Busy wee player who at times uses the ball well and at times is a bit rash. We could really have done with Lyle in the 1st half with all those crosses put in. We'd be better served putting Jacobs at left back and Higgy at cb rather than accomodating Brownlie. Hilson puts in a hell of a shift and scored a great goal

Raith have taken 23 points from the last 10 games, which is joint best in the division.

Meanwhile, we have taken 7 points from the last 10 games, the second worst form in the division, 1 point more than Alloa and 4 less than Dumbarton.

Eta on 20 February we were a point behind with a game in hand. So the gap of 17 has been opened since then. It is fair to say that the gap is entirely down to Raith's form because in the same 10 fixtures earlier in the season, we actually took a point less, so we are no worse or better now than we were earlier in the season.

http://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?league=scotland2&teamid=3

Does Benedictus foul Higgins before the first? The footage just about misses it but looks like Higgins is shoved over before the cross arrives, leaving Benedictus with a free header. Of course he shouldn't be getting shoved over there anyway but still looks like a foul.

On the second one I think we can absolve Thomson from any blame as was suggested earlier. Don't think he could have come and got that. Brownlie is better placed than Dowie to deal with it but Dowie stretches to get the header and then doesn't get enough distance on it as a result. It happens to fall straight to Barr who has wandered away from Dowie after his first header. Murdoch is marking space at the far end of the box and doesn't get across to him whilst Brownlie doesn't quite get out to him in time. A bit of communication could have dealt with the whole situation but there is a bit of fortune in Dowie's header falling perfectly to Barr. There's nothing clever about Connolly's up and under into the box. Both goals are disappointing to lose.

Looking forward to full highlights from either side to see just how good the save from Hilson's header was. I didn't have a great view at the time and had no idea how he actually kept it out.

Does Benedictus foul Higgins before the first? The footage just about misses it but looks like Higgins is shoved over before the cross arrives, leaving Benedictus with a free header. Of course he shouldn't be getting shoved over there anyway but still looks like a foul.

On the second one I think we can absolve Thomson from any blame as was suggested earlier. Don't think he could have come and got that. Brownlie is better placed than Dowie to deal with it but Dowie stretches to get the header and then doesn't get enough distance on it as a result. It happens to fall straight to Barr who has wandered away from Dowie after his first header. Murdoch is marking space at the far end of the box and doesn't get across to him whilst Brownlie doesn't quite get out to him in time. A bit of communication could have dealt with the whole situation but there is a bit of fortune in Dowie's header falling perfectly to Barr. There's nothing clever about Connolly's up and under into the box. Both goals are disappointing to lose.

Looking forward to full highlights from either side to see just how good the save from Hilson's header was. I didn't have a great view at the time and had no idea how he actually kept it out.

I know that Higgins raced towards the referee after the first goal complaining about the goal being awarded, so he obviously though that he had been impeded by Benedictus.

My view of the save was from the terracing to the keeper's right and I thought the ball was just going to nestle in the net. Cuthbert got down really well, low at his near post. Always thought Queens would try and sign him, as he excellent at St Johnstone. I see that he's 33 now and just signed a contract extension until 2018.

Cuthbert got down really well, low at his near post. Always thought Queens would try and sign him, as he excellent at St Johnstone. I see that he's 33 now and just signed a contract extension until 2018.

Cuthbert had a short pre-season trial with us in 2008 after the cup final season when we had lost Jamie MacDonald back to Hearts. Cuthbert, Ryan Esson (now at Inverness) and Bryn Halliwell were in on trial and we ended up taking Halliwell. Don't think that one worked out too well for us!

Ive noticed Jason Thomson since he has returned has inspired his team to go on this run. He was sorely missed it seems during his spell on the treatment table. A few observations from yesterday. Oliver had the mother of all stinkers. Thomson needs to be more confident coming out for crosses. Hutton has taken his time to get to this level, but now many could argue he is our best player. Tapping impressed me yesterday. Busy wee player who at times uses the ball well and at times is a bit rash. We could really have done with Lyle in the 1st half with all those crosses put in. We'd be better served putting Jacobs at left back and Higgy at cb rather than accomodating Brownlie. Hilson puts in a hell of a shift and scored a great goal

Some excellent points - Oliver was awful yesterday. Manager decided that width would be the tactical buzzword yesterday yet left out our two recognised wide players Conroy and Harris. I am not sold on either of them but if we are going to go down this route surely they need to be part of the masterplan.We hit in a succession of first half crosses but left out our main aerial threat (derek Lyle) on the bench? Hutton has played well in past few weeks but we need a midfield partner for him that can get forward. I am loathe to jsuggest that we have an ideal foil for him but the player in question has a splinter in his backside and is being deliberately left out game after game.

I agree 100% on the Higgy point. The cornerstone of our team is Higgy and Dowie in central defence. With Marshall out we should keep Kidd at RB - Higgy and Dowie at CB and make a compromise at LB by using either Jacobs, Murdoch, Hooper or dare I suggest Ryan Conroy who is left footed and who could potentially do a job in an emergency and you would have his dead ball expertise as a bonus. Higgy does his best at LB but his exclusion from centre back really weakens our team. How the Manager cant see that is beyond me.

Hilson has been a good acquisition.

I think we could and should have done much better this season and we will have to get our act together in terms of squad assembly for next season or face a battle to retain our Champ League status.

Archived