The Partick Thistle thread

In 90+ appearances he hit roughly 3 decent free-kicks and 2 decent corners. Comfortable on the ball but doesn't quite have the ability to create space for himself. When Irvine left it really showed up Woods' weaknesses: doesn't track back, can't tackle, won't work particularly hard.

He had good games, and in the right position (or team) I've no doubt he's a good player but scrapping around at the lower end of the Premiership doesn't seem to suit him.

Watch as his turns into Iniesta now bQshDtu.png

Edited by yoda

40 minutes ago, yoda said:

In 90+ appearances he hit roughly 3 decent free-kicks and 2 decent corners. Comfortable on the ball but doesn't quite have the ability to create space for himself. When Irvine left it really showed up Woods' weaknesses: doesn't track back, can't tackle, won't work particularly hard.

He had good games, and in the right position (or team) I've no doubt he's a good player but scrapping around at the lower end of the Premiership doesn't seem to suit him.

Watch as his turns into Iniesta now bQshDtu.png

Probably worth mentioning that he usually hangs about town looking something like this:

0.jpg

So Byers Road based Partick Thistle fans beware!  

ETA: for quite a while, he took to wearing a fedora to training.

Edited by Savage Henry

As stated, surprised he hasn't got a club and he could deffo do a job for us till the end of the season. If we start getting some players fit by the end of the year I really don't think we need to do much, if any, business in January, but we badly need a left back!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Harris_(footballer)

Edited by Sting777

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

That's not the only time he tried that.  

It's very indicative of half of his game.  He's very comfortable on the ball, but don't ask him to tackle, or for the love of god take set pieces.

Put it another way, I think he's a decent player, but I wasn't in the slightest bit bothered when he left.

The only reason I know of him is from County fans complaining about him so much. The fact he was without a club until nearly November says a lot,  means he's had no pre-season either.

Don't care if I'm in the minority but I hope this is an example thrown back at us when Project Brave comes along..

We have a young midfeilder in McCarthy that hasn't really looked out of depth whilst the team has been struggling, only to bring in a journeyman. We had to play Hendry + Lindsay a few seasons ago and that worked out not bad, I don't see much difference with this situation and McCarthy.. + Fraser is more or less back.

What makes it worse for me is that the County boys are giving genuine feedback and not "hes shite" patter. Currently our central midfield lacks: solid tackler, track back/ positional awareness and very good work ethic (Edwards covers that one)  - all of which @yoda and @Savage Henryhas said is not his game. Im expecting a shit Adam Barton

Thank f**k I wont have to look at that wanky hairstyle from the announcer anymore

24 minutes ago, Red 'N Yellow said:

The only reason I know of him is from County fans complaining about him so much. The fact he was without a club until nearly November says a lot,  means he's had no pre-season either.

I think he got a lot of unwarranted stick from our moany section.  Again, he's a pretty decent player.  That said, he was expected to be a leader and dominate on the pitch, and very often it looked like he couldn't be arsed (see aforementioned video).  For the money he was on, and for the responsibility he was given, he was a let down.   One good game in ten.  If he was 19, you'd say he was an outstanding prospect.  But he's the back of 30, so he ain't.

28 minutes ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

A decent midfield playmaker that can't tackle; but we already have Adam Barton...

We need a dirty wee midfield b*****d to fill in while Osman's injured - doesn't sound like Woods will fill that role.

Good god, no.  If that's the expectation of him, you might be in a fair bit of trouble.  

Don't care if I'm in the minority but I hope this is an example thrown back at us when Project Brave comes along..
We have a young midfeilder in McCarthy that hasn't really looked out of depth whilst the team has been struggling, only to bring in a journeyman. We had to play Hendry + Lindsay a few seasons ago and that worked out not bad, I don't see much difference with this situation and McCarthy.. + Fraser is more or less back.
What makes it worse for me is that the County boys are giving genuine feedback and not "hes shite" patter. Currently our central midfield lacks: solid tackler, track back/ positional awareness and very good work ethic (Edwards covers that one)  - all of which [mention=7081]yoda[/mention] and [mention=215]Savage Henry[/mention]has said is not his game. Im expecting a shit Adam Barton
Thank f**k I wont have to look at that wanky hairstyle from the announcer anymore

I don’t think McCarthy is quite ready, and I really hope he goes out on loan in January. I’d like him not to be another David Wilson reaching 23 and having about 18 minutes of first team football.

In any case, this should allow Barton to play as part of a back 3 without leaving us completely bereft of midfield options.

2 hours ago, thistledo said:

At least it's only until the end of the season

Does that mean he gets freed at 5pm tomorrow if we lose? 

I guess it's a body in that might allow barton to play as sweeper in a 3. Though I suppose Woods will have to take his turn at left wing back as well. 

Also does the announcer going to Killie mean the return of MOGADON MAN on the microphone? 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Probably worth mentioning that he usually hangs about town looking something like this:

0.jpg

So Byers Road based Partick Thistle fans beware!  

ETA: for quite a while, he took to wearing a fedora to training.

He'll blend in quite well down the Byres Road, tbf. 

Woods had 4 goals and 15 assists in 82 top flight games for County. Also 17 yellow cards.  

Gives us an option in the middle of park as part of a three. I'm hoping he might be able to push the ball through to our front men in more dangerous areas. Oh for a through ball to Doolan/ Storey/ Sammon. 

Basically he'll be doing the Welsh role as said. We've still got a massive Osman shaped hole in midfield.

Has also played left midfield apparently. Not sure how he fitted in there?

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I had to google that, which I'm proud of.  

Yes.  That's precisely how Martin Woods dresses.  Good shout.

Looks like he has went from no one wanting him to a gig with us and ITV!

https://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/dancing-on-ice/337083-itv-confirms-jason-gardiner-will-back-judge-dancing-ice-2018.html