The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

Kenny Miller can f**k right off.

He’s toxic.

Certainly a gamble with the apparent fallouts that have occurred at all of his recent clubs.

Also even a fit 40 year old will be on the downturn. 

Then again he is still putting the ball in the net and brings a wealth of playing experience.

Probably the closest to Scott McDonald we would get at the moment.

Could be another McDonald type signing or the anti-McDonald leaving us toothless upfront mounting pressure on Caldwell.

At least this preseason is nothing if not interesting from a Thistle perspective... 

Edited by jagfox99

If you can get him to just play in the box, and knock in chances he would be good. IMO, that's what I was hoping he would do when he joined us, unfortunately he drops back to midfield fucks about there and makes a mess of everything.

Good luck.

23 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

If you can get him to just play in the box, and knock in chances he would be good. IMO, that's what I was hoping he would do when he joined us, unfortunately he drops back to midfield fucks about there and makes a mess of everything.

Good luck.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Its entirely possible that Jim McIntyre was telling Miller to drop back into midfield.

McIntyre rates Martin Woods so he’s clearly a gormless fud.

Rangers and Livingston fans have made the same complaints about Miller tbf.

Very unconvinced by Miller. His age being the biggest factor, but also he'll probably be picking up a big wage, he has a tendency to drop very deep, and there's also the fact that he has a record of undermining managers (although since Caldwell is his mate, perhaps this won't happen at us). Trying to find the positives: he scored goals in the Premiership last season, and I wasn't convinced by the McDonald signing and he pretty much saved our season.

That's doolan signed for us. I know he didnt have the best season last time round but do you lot think he is still capable of doing a job at this level?

Yes. If you can create opportunities, he’ll score goals.

His first touch is outrageously good.

Take care of him.

9 minutes ago, AuAl said:

That's doolan signed for us. I know he didnt have the best season last time round but do you lot think he is still capable of doing a job at this level?

Absolutely.  I found in the past couple of seasons he was either being told to drop deep to get the ball, or had decided that the players behind him were absolute guff and he wasn't going to get the ball anyway.  I really wanted him to be told just to stay forward and take advantage of what he's good at.  His confidence clearly took a dip, and chances he would put away easily were getting away from him.  

BUT, if you can get him enjoying himself again, and get him playing the role he's best at, he's probably going to score a squillion (against us) and a fair few elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Hard to tell. He’s looked pretty poor the last two seasons, but I’d guess a lot of that was to do with our teams lacking in creativity and generally being pretty pish.

If we sign Kenny Miller, it'll be quite interesting to see who gets more goals between him and Doolan (assuming they play roughly the same number of games).

If it's anywhere near comparable, then all Caldwell has done is unceremoniously bin a bona fide club legend (perhaps partly because he is a club legend), and brought in one of his 40-year-old pals from the (very distant) old days.  It's reasonable to assume that Miller will also get significantly more money than Doolan was getting paid.  Still, I'm sure our boss knows what he's doing.  He certainly eased us to safety in an impressive manner last season.

1 minute ago, VictorOnopko said:

If we sign Kenny Miller, it'll be quite interesting to see who gets more goals between him and Doolan (assuming they play roughly the same number of games).

If it's anywhere near comparable, then all Caldwell has done is unceremoniously bin a bona fide club legend (perhaps partly because he is a club legend), and brought in one of his 40-year-old pals from the (very distant) old days.  It's reasonable to assume that Miller will also get significantly more money than Doolan was getting paid.  Still, I'm sure our boss knows what he's doing.  He certainly eased us to safety in an impressive manner last season.

It's the Erskine situation, but magnified.  We didn't really bring in a direct replacement for him, but Cardle was probably the closest, right?  I'd say in that sense, he probably just about got away with it.

It's the same here again, if Miller (or someone else) comes in and scores loads, then it's probably a good decision.  If he doesn't, and Doolan goes on to score a thousand, then it's a terrible decision.  To be fair though, that's exactly what Caldwell has said.  He's fronted up and realised what he's doing, and I expect he'll accept the blame if he gets it wrong.  Not that that'll save him.