The Partick Thistle thread

3 hours ago, JagsCG said:

If you want a reminder of why Kris Doolan is an absolute hero & legend I’d strongly recommend his pre-match interview on JZ. 

Deffo, even if it doesn't work out this time i firmly believe he will be a future permanent Thistle manager. Hopefully he becomes a manager messiah in this spell though, I will be backing him 100% and if it doesn't work then hey ho for now.

I didn't realise Ian MCall had been sacked until I read the BBC article this morning, don't know how I missed it to be quite honest. Enjoyed reading the last 10 pages for the background information, but I'm not really much the wiser! 

Having read all the posts, the timing does seem strange if finances preclude an immediate replacement manager being announced.

On 13/02/2023 at 07:58, Pie Of The Month said:

I don't really see how it is a problem if it was the board that made the decision. Fan ownership should mean we appoint a board to make such decisions, not consult with the fan ownership anytime they want to make them. The rep from TJF on the board will be stuck with the same confidentiality issues that faced the Jags Trust rep years ago, they could know all of this was going on in the background and not legally be allowed to tell anyone including TJF board members.

There's an argument that an interim board shouldn't be making these decisions when they're essentially just there for some stability whilst the structure of how fan ownership is going to work gets sorted out I suppose.

Would agree with that, but maybe this decision had to be made?

On 13/02/2023 at 11:17, Ad Lib said:

Sorry yes saw that later!

I don’t think we expected to be consulted on these decisions (for the reason Sandy set out in this morning’s message). But under a functioning set of working together protocols you might have expected a bit of dialogue between letting McCall et al know and putting out the statement.

I will make one observation: the statement was made at 8:12pm. The Women’s game at Petershill finished at 8:33pm.

I’m sure people can fill in the blanks.

Agree with this, too.

On 14/02/2023 at 13:13, John MacLean said:

Having now had approaching on 48 hours, many of them through an alcohol haze, trying to digest the news from Sunday and subsequent statements is the following the situation we are now in? 

• The Club has an impending cash flow/financial crisis. 
  • Winning promotion to the Premiership is a (only?) route out of the above. 
  • The current Board didnot believe that Ian McCall was able to achieve promotion. 
  • The current Board believe that Kris Doolan is, if not the best option available to achieve promotion, then the most affordable option. Certainly a better option than Ian McCall. 

If the above is at all accurate then that's one hell of a gamble and does have the look of a frantic last throw of the dice. 

McCall said in hospitality before Sunday's game that having been a manager for 900 games meant that while he might not be the best manager in the world it suggested he wasn't rubbish either. 

There isn't a Thistle fan anywhere that doesn't love Kris Doolan. There's scarcely a Thistle fan that didn't think he would be our manager at some point, and there certainly isn't a Thistle fan that isn't despertaely hoping for him to be a success. But he's managed precisely 901 less games than Ian McCall and doesn't have the benefit of being part of the existing coaching set up and knowledge of the first team squad that Alan Archibald had when he stepped in. 

That's a brave call from an inexperienced Board of Directors. I'd feel easier if I thought that the position of manager was being advertised. 

That seems well reasoned to this outsider.

On 14/02/2023 at 19:41, Skyline Drifter said:

Not necessarily. Depends what "one year rolling contracts" means? Some people would have it that it means every single day when you wake up you have 365 more days of employment but that's a fairly odd way of doing things as it effectively just means you're committed to paying a year's salary to anyone you sack. It more likely means that there's an annual renewal date (say June 1st) where it becomes a new one year deal unless terminated by whatever termination clauses there are before then.

In any event, even a 365 days contract probably has a break clause which may provide for less than one year's notice on dismissal.

Aye, you just can't have 365 days pay ahead of you every day. Would it depend on the date of the original appointment?

39 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, you just can't have 365 days pay ahead of you every day. Would it depend on the date of the original appointment?

Best I could find with regards to 12 month rolling contract.

Essentially, does not give a 12 month notice date, there will usually be a date where both parties can agree to continue or one will choose to end it on the termination date. 

Most of the post-match updates are in place on the Archive, including match highlights, check the news via the home page →

:detective:

GET INTERIM

● Interim manager Kris Doolan takes charge of Partick Thistle for the first time, nearly 4 years on from his final appearance as a player - both times versus Ayr United.
Kris Doolan becomes the 33rd individual to manage a Partick Thistle first team match.
● Former Jag Sean McGinty captains Ayr United whilst former United man Ross Docherty captains Thistle.
Kyle Turner hits a new personal best by appearing 17-not-out in competitive action.
● Thistle have won all three matches in which Danny Mullen has scored.
● Thistle win their first away game in more than 4 months, the 2-1 win at New Douglas Park in October being the last away day success.
● Thistle keep their first clean-sheet in 3 months. Ayr United are only the second team not to have scored against Thistle in the League this season, following on from Arbroath.
● Congratulations (and celebrations) to Kris Doolan, who becomes the first Thistle manager since Murdo MacLeod in 1995 to begin his tenure with a victory in competitive action.

ongoing sequences:
● 34 consecutive competitive appearances for Jack McMillan, 9th Jul 2022 to date, a new personal best. (Longest run since: Jamie Sneddon - 41 games, 28th Aug 2021 to 9th Jul 2022. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

I wonder what could have been distracting people from checking the dates ?

Are you suggesting that Jacqui's old board and their employees (including CEO and qualified lawyer G Britton) were too busy focusing on their fake "fan ownership" share transfer, and digging a huge black hole in the club finances, to draw up contracts lasting the whole season - including the playoffs which they riskily budgeted to reach to break even?  if so, you could be right...

19 hours ago, JagsCG said:

I take it the play-offs are a bit later than normal this year? No excuse for making such a rookie error though, when the dates are widely publicised over a year in advance. 

If those dates are correct then yes they are. They've never been later than 31 May before and there's an established principle that in theory the domestic games are completed by then. I wasn't aware they were later this year either (of course, given we carelessly got relegated last year I don't need to be). I assume this is a knock on from the Premiership World Cup shutdown. I'm not certain this was know a year in advance either. It may have been but it's fairly commonplace for playoff dates only to be confirmed once the tv companies confirm their scheduling.

I've a lot of sympathy for Thistle on this to be honest. Whilst most established premier league clubs seem to run contracts to 9th June routinely (window opening), in my experience nearly every lower division club, routinely runs them to 31 May. We certainly do. I doubt if Thistle are the only club potentially affected by this.

33 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Not sure what need there was for the snide last paragraph. The onus is not on the home team to move a Saturday fixture when they've hospitality booked.

Not sure it was a snide comment directed at ICT, although surely ICT were a bit short sighted in selecting that date for one of their hospitality dates ?