The Partick Thistle thread

8 minutes ago, Walter said:

Didn't hear anything about Dowds being injured so his omission from the squad would make me too think he may be on his way out. Arbroath perhaps? Heard a pub rumour before the game that Williams had left the club to return home due to his partner's health situation. Probably pish though. 

I’m pretty sure I saw Williams at the game.

8 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Wonder, if we had another called up (most likely Stanway but unlikely) if we'd request a postponement? 

I think we've got a deep enough squad right now that we wouldn't need to bother.

We had 9 on the bench on Saturday, and that was with Mitchell, Williams and Dowds missing the match squad altogether.

Postponing it would be moving the game from a Saturday to a Tuesday night somewhere down the line most likely, which has revenue implications which I'd guess would outweigh missing a couple of players.

32 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Plus it’s the fucking Challenge Cup, is anyone actually bothered?

I'll be honest. I think this will be our approach. Look at last season where we fielded a fringe team against falkirk and nobody really cared. 

Given where it falls in the calendar I can see Doolan using it to give Adeloye / McDonald / Alston a start as I don't think there will be many changes for this Saturday barring injuries.

All anyone wants from it now is an away draw to one of the Welsh / NI sides and if you wind up in the semis then you can start taking it seriously.

On 27/08/2023 at 21:31, SmithyJag said:

Why are you judging the scouting system on just the English signings? As I understand it the network covers both England and Scotland, isn't that what Dools said?

Looks to me like Williams, Adeloye and McDonald are back ups to starters, Neilson and McInroy need to be judged too...perhaps more so as more likely starters.

Being the nerd I am, I just noticed that centre back Williams was released by Dundalk . Was that not the club where you guys released a CB as not good enough. Interesting scouting system where you let a player who you deem not good enough to a club where you sign a player who they think is not good enough.

But hey what do I know- sure Doolan spent hours watching teams in Ireland’.

Edited by Its not only a game
Correction

32 minutes ago, Its not only a game said:

Being the nerd I am, I just noticed that centre back Williams was released by Dundalk . Was that not the club where you guys released a CB as not good enough. Interesting scouting system where you let a player who you deem not good enough to a club where you sign a player who they think is not good enough.

But hey what do I know- sure Doolan spent hours watching teams in Ireland’.

Warisi Williams wasn’t released from Dundalk, he was on loan there from Swansea. And he didn’t leave Dundalk because they deemed him not good enough, he cut his loan short because his girlfriend was/is sadly undergoing cancer treatment. Your nerdish research skills ain’t all that clearly. 

The poster in question seems to have some weird bee in their bonnet about Doolan, only comes onto this thread to post snidey digs at him.

Pretty sure Doolan won't have watched hundred of hours of league of Ireland games but with Wyscout etc can isolate stats for players we are interested in. Same as every other club. 

Also teams can't control where players end up after they free them. Dunfermline binned Reece Cole after relegation to the Scottish third tier and less than 18 months later he's in the English third tier (because Gary Caldwell, which is another discussion entirely) so Brownlie ending up at Dundalk isn't relevant. 

55 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The poster in question seems to have some weird bee in their bonnet about Doolan, only comes onto this thread to post snidey digs at him.

Pretty sure Doolan won't have watched hundred of hours of league of Ireland games but with Wyscout etc can isolate stats for players we are interested in. Same as every other club. 

Also teams can't control where players end up after they free them. Dunfermline binned Reece Cole after relegation to the Scottish third tier and less than 18 months later he's in the English third tier (because Gary Caldwell, which is another discussion entirely) so Brownlie ending up at Dundalk isn't relevant. 

Truly don’t have digs at Doolan- a really good guy just out of his depth- will fail and lets revisit this post in 3 months.

For me- whether -EF( my club- the perfect example of failure) or others ,amazed at the stupidity of those involved in running football clubs

. To appoint Doolan ( fans favourite)- fan ownership -imo- is doomed / no money and fan elected  idiots involved in running the club

of course everyone relates to Hearts- 3rd biggest club in Scotland. But only survives because of James Anderson’s donations to the club( biggest donator / investor in history of Scotland)- Thistle- you will destroy a legend that is so out of his depth a blind man can see…

Anyway - no agenda- EF fan- so expert is witnessing idiots- but only opinion-.

7 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

Truly don’t have digs at Doolan- a really good guy just out of his depth- will fail and lets revisit this post in 3 months.

For me- whether -EF( my club- the perfect example of failure) or others ,amazed at the stupidity of those involved in running football clubs

. To appoint Doolan ( fans favourite)- fan ownership -imo- is doomed / no money and fan elected  idiots involved in running the club

of course everyone relates to Hearts- 3rd biggest club in Scotland. But only survives because of James Anderson’s donations to the club( biggest donator / investor in history of Scotland)- Thistle- you will destroy a legend that is so out of his depth a blind man can see…

You’re right time will tell whether Doolan has what it takes. Most managers fail. Thistle have been appointing favourites for quite some time before fan ownership. And again, time will tell about our fan ownership. But Hearts isn’t the only successful one out there.

7 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

The Office Grandpa GIF by MOODMAN

9 hours ago, Its not only a game said:

of course everyone relates to Hearts- 3rd biggest club in Scotland. But only survives because of James Anderson’s donations to the club( biggest donator / investor in history of Scotland)

Even leaving everything else aside, this is just patently incorrect.

And what about Motherwell, St Mirren or Morton? All seem to be doing absolutely fine.