The Partick Thistle thread

1 minute ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Did they not get a reasonable, if not quite eye watering, fee for Akinyemi? Might still have some left from that.

I don’t know about that but they got a very decent cup run including Rangers away.  Although having said that Morton also went on a very decent cup run too 

16 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Did they not get a reasonable, if not quite eye watering, fee for Akinyemi? Might still have some left from that.

Don’t think we’ve actually spent any of it tbh with you. Then we’ve got the Rangers cup money from last season. 

42 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

Imagine us losing out to Ayr. Embarassing.

Not really. If you’re telling Oakley he will start on the bench all season he might not want that, irrespective of money. The offers were probably similar in terms of ££.

There is an argument that he could absolutely replace Graham once he starts to wind down and bringing him into the club now is advantageous but if he wants to play then he ain’t gonna come to us.

He could easily play for Ayr every week for the term of his contract there and then sign for us anyway if he really wants to..

16 minutes ago, BigMadMental said:

Not really. If you’re telling Oakley he will start on the bench all season he might not want that, irrespective of money. The offers were probably similar in terms of ££.

There is an argument that he could absolutely replace Graham once he starts to wind down and bringing him into the club now is advantageous but if he wants to play then he ain’t gonna come to us.

He could easily play for Ayr every week for the term of his contract there and then sign for us anyway if he really wants to..

I get what you are saying. Could become a problem in trying to get a decent other striker. Might have to settle for a meh signing.

Ultimately not too fussed if we miss out on Oakley. He undoubtedly had a really good few months when he was fit this season, but I’m not sure if that purple patch in the midst of a relatively underwhelming career is worth paying a decent wedge of cash to, especially when there’s a good chance he’ll spend the next couple of years as the second choice striker.

Quite enjoying the whole drama around him regardless, mainly because it seems to have Greenock fans frothing at the mouth and claiming they’re the only club in the division living within their means. Bless.

17 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

"Managers only care if they are screaming and shouting all game" is one of the laziest yer da takes.

I wouldnt exactly big up wee angry Dougie's ability to motivate players when it looks like theyve chucked it for two-thirds of the season and finished a gargantuan three points above the relegation play-off places. 

Also quite telling how good Dougie is at "motivating his players" when Crawford and Oakley have both decided to leave despite good offers. 

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Quite enjoying the whole drama around him regardless, mainly because it seems to have Greenock fans frothing at the mouth and claiming they’re the only club in the division living within their means. Bless.

This has been particularly strange. Surely it’s blindingly obvious that other clubs (such as us) simply have greater means to live within? 

Posted (edited)

George Oakley has been varying degrees of shite for his entire career and I think this season his ability has been massively over exaggerated. He has only scored in 7 of his 24 starts. Incidentally the same number of games Adeloye has scored in this season, with only 2 starts to his name.

We need a different option to BBG, someone with a bit of pace in behind. Preferably a younger player who can learn, and eventually take over from, Graham. We dont need to waste valuable budget on Plan A.1 for a significantly inferior player to what we already have.

Bullet dodged IMO. Hopefully a case of Doolan playing a blinder and getting Ayr to increase their wage offer and reduce their budget for other players.

Edited by Jacky1990

Wouldn't necessarily define it as a bullet dodged, but equally echo the thoughts that I'm not bothered about Oakley. Unfortunately for any striker potentially looking at us, they'll probably be second choice to Graham. I wouldn't be against trying to get Adeloye back tbh, although no clue if his injury is such that it will eat into next season too.

5 minutes ago, Dingleberry said:

Has anyone heard anything about a documentary getting filmed? Heard there was people getting interviewed in the Woody

It's the club who are filming footage.

If we do go up they are going to be using it for a documentary however if we don't, I'm not sure the footage will be used for anything in particular.

I was speaking with one of the film crew about it in the Aitken last week, said they were in process of gathering up footage in case we go up, as we didn't have any footage at all of last season.

3 hours ago, Dingleberry said:

Has anyone heard anything about a documentary getting filmed? Heard there was people getting interviewed in the Woody

I was interviewed in the Woody when I was a couple of pints and a whisky along the road. Thought it was Britain's Hardest Boozers so told them I had personally knocked f**k out of the Section B and their Das in the lavvy just last week. They seemed impressed.

On 14/05/2024 at 16:54, Jacky1990 said:

George Oakley has been varying degrees of shite for his entire career and I think this season his ability has been massively over exaggerated. He has only scored in 7 of his 24 starts. Incidentally the same number of games Adeloye has scored in this season, with only 2 starts to his name.

We need a different option to BBG, someone with a bit of pace in behind. Preferably a younger player who can learn, and eventually take over from, Graham. We dont need to waste valuable budget on Plan A.1 for a significantly inferior player to what we already have.

Bullet dodged IMO. Hopefully a case of Doolan playing a blinder and getting Ayr to increase their wage offer and reduce their budget for other players.

Someone like Rumarn Burrell perhaps? 

23 hours ago, Walter said:

I was interviewed in the Woody when I was a couple of pints and a whisky along the road. Thought it was Britain's Hardest Boozers so told them I had personally knocked f**k out of the Section B and their Das in the lavvy just last week. They seemed impressed.

"Boaby, have the McGills been in?"

On 14/05/2024 at 16:54, Jacky1990 said:

I think this season his ability has been massively over exaggerated.

No, I think it's been exaggerated by exactly the right amount.