The Partick Thistle thread

4 minutes ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

Something makes me still think Doolan.....Right or wrong choice i will let others decide. But surely he would be better than Dobbie no?

The last chance for Doolan to come back in a squad player type role was beginning of last season I think, sadly his time has past to play with us now I’d say. 

Apparently Penrice signing with us tomorrow. Was really impressed with him in the Championship, and really thought he’d have kicked on - a case of loyalty to Thistle sticking by you over the past couple of seasons?

5 minutes ago, Afro said:

Apparently Penrice signing with us tomorrow. Was really impressed with him in the Championship, and really thought he’d have kicked on - a case of loyalty to Thistle sticking by you over the past couple of seasons?

A case of him being fucking pish, tbh.

He’s, at best, no better now than he was 5 years ago. 

Was it his decision to leave Queen of the South? 
I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure. But he wasn't featuring much so I expect so. It's a helluva travelling for him not to be playing.

Think Penrice needs to find a position but he's too slow to play on the wing (hardly played full back for us since McCall came back) and he's not really impressed in midfield either. 

If it's a swap for Tiffoney in terms of writing off compensation I think both sets of fans would bite your hand off. 

9 minutes ago, Afro said:

You’ll get a lot of different views on here ....!

It might not be popular to say but in my opinion Penrice is very harshly treated on here. For me I’d happily have him back next season in the Championship, although it does appear to be that he is signing for Livingston.

Edited by R&Y99

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Splits the fanbase an awful lot, I’d be happy if we kept him but equally not massively upset if he goes (providing we get Tiffoney - not sure if there’s a deal being made there or not). One thing I reckon most fans would agree on however is that he’s not stayed with us really due to loyalty, he didn’t stand out in L1 as much as I’d hoped last season, and in actual fact Richard Foster was better than him at LB. His best game was actually playing RM against Falkirk in the title winning game. He needs to find a position and improve on a few key parts of his game, he’s capable of doing that perhaps. Didn’t always come off for him but always felt he had the right attitude, so good luck to him if he does go. 

A better player than many on here will give him credit for. Took an unfair amount of stick being a young player in a few different shite Thistle sides over the last few years, and also generally being associated with that downward trend towards the bottom half of League 1 until about 2 months ago has probably tainted him in a lot of fans eyes. I think a change of scenery will help him, as will having better players around him. As Livi and Martindale know, his attitude is spot on and his technical ability on the ball is very good.

Would still take a swap with Tiffoney every day of the week though if that's the deal on the table.

2 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

his attitude is spot on and his technical ability on the ball is very good.

This is true - his goal which should've stood against Falkirk showed how much technical ability he actually has. I think McCall made a comment recently about him needing to take the way he plays in training into matches and he's probably correct in that regard. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'd be lying if I said I knew for sure. But he wasn't featuring much so I expect so. It's a helluva travelling for him not to be playing.

That's what I was thinking, due to travelling I wouldn't expect he'd want to be backup at Queens or Thistle (unless he was getting to take up a coaching role with us as well). I'd have taken Dobbie last season when we were struggling for goals but it's not a signing I'd really understand. 

Edited by JagsCG

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Are we likely getting Tiffoney in return? We were one of a number of clubs linked with Robinson have you heard where he is likely going too?

27 minutes ago, third lanark said:

Are we likely getting Tiffoney in return? We were one of a number of clubs linked with Robinson have you heard where he is likely going too?

Sounds like it's a straight swap and we just let both clubs bypass the compensation due for each player. That's the deal basically from what I can see. 

Robinson is a weird one, he wasn't good enough for us IMO but other Livi fans would say otherwise. He was a bench option and occasional rotation until he hit a purple patch this season for the first time in about 4 or 5 seasons. He was linked with Ross County/Motherwell for a bit and then it's now slid down to Partick/Raith so could be agent pish. He apparently left us as his agent was claiming there was boys being paid triple his wage and it turned out eventually that was a load of pish so who knows (that and his tantrum because he got subbed off against Rangers).

Edited by ATLIS

2 hours ago, JagsCG said:

That's what I was thinking, due to travelling I wouldn't expect he'd want to be backup at Queen or Thistle (unless he was getting to take up a coaching role with us as well). I'd have taken Dobbie last season when we were struggling for goals but it's not a signing I'd really understand. 

That is what i don't understand either, hence why i suggested Doolan. The issue with Doolan was he did not want to be a manager or coach with the womans team which was on offer at the time so he went to Arbroath. Doolan or Dobbie as a bench warmer i think both would probably do what is required when needed, but who would be cheaper?

3 hours ago, Mediocre Pundit said:

I love Doolan, but no. Both in general and “better than Dobbie”.

Same amount of game time and 1 less goal than Dobbie last season. Also 4 years younger and more than likely cheaper wages wise than Dobbie to warm the bench for 75% of the season and be an impact player. I guess it depends on coaching and whatnot as both would demand a coaching role of some sort and again jury is out Dobbie or Doolan, I guess Doolan pulls at the heart strings and is a Thistle legend but Dobbie has played at a higher level. You obviously prefer Dobbie but for me i am thinking wages, status within the club, long term loyalty etc. But hey this is what forums are for, difference of opinions. 

53 minutes ago, Big Jocks Chewin The Fat said:

That is what i don't understand either, hence why i suggested Doolan. The issue with Doolan was he did not want to be a manager or coach with the womans team which was on offer at the time so he went to Arbroath. Doolan or Dobbie as a bench warmer i think both would probably do what is required when needed, but who would be cheaper?

I wouldn't object to Doolan or Dobbie as a backup striker (to get either to agree to that I'd have to guess a coaching role would be available). That said, if they were to demand substantial wages then it's not particularly good business sense. No clue about Dobbie's plans, but I think Doolan will probably drop down the leagues & stay part-time - he may be back at Firhill one day (I hope he is) but doubt it'll be as a player. Dobbie I just don't understand why we'd sign - he's getting on a bit, he probably would't be a starter, he may demand high wages and he doesn't exactly live close. As I said, when we were struggling for goals, a short-term stint for Dobbie would've been understandable, but not really now - wouldn't make sense from his point of view either. 

McCall did say that he'd like a fourth striker if the budget allows for it though, so depending on whether we are able to get Tiffoney & the other targets, we may or may not have someone come in as backup.