The Partick Thistle thread

1 hour ago, R&Y99 said:

Apparently we are linked with Kai Kennedy on loan from Rangers. Seems to be well regarded from his spells at ICT and Raith, I’d take him.

Just like Big Jocks cast of golf shoes we always seem to sign these cast off colts. Let's hope this one is good.

1 hour ago, R&Y99 said:

Apparently we are linked with Kai Kennedy on loan from Rangers. Seems to be well regarded from his spells at ICT and Raith, I’d take him.

Same. I think we need another wide option so he would make sense.

Still need keeper, centre back and right back as priority though

10 minutes ago, Reid said:

James Lyon away on-loan to Stenhousemuir for the season. Surprised at that. He’s looked excellent the few times he’s played and McCall raves about him.

Could be good for him.

Hes unlikely to see much football with Bannigan, Docherty, Turner and Gordon in front of him. Chance to see what hes made of.

51 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Still need keeper, centre back and right back as priority though

Genuinely don’t see another right back signing, certainly doubt it’s a priority. Goalkeeper pretty much sorted as McCall has said, agree another centre back is necessary - wasn’t a fan of the Trialist, so preferably not him. Another winger (ie Kennedy) is a huge priority I’d say. 

Edited by JagsCG

1 hour ago, JagsCG said:

Genuinely don’t see another right back signing, certainly doubt it’s a priority. Goalkeeper pretty much sorted as McCall has said, agree another centre back is necessary - wasn’t a fan of the Trialist, so preferably not him. Another winger (ie Kennedy) is a huge priority I’d say. 

I get your point and Id say would be last on the priority list.

I know McCall didnt play Penrice much at LB towards the end of the season, but we started last season with Williamson, Penrice and Foster with McKenna emergency and shitty back up RB. We now only have Holt, Foster and McKenna. Would be worried if we started the season with less fullbacks on the books than last season and I dont think any of the young guys on the verge are fullbacks?

16 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

I know McCall didnt play Penrice much at LB towards the end of the season, but we started last season with Williamson, Penrice and Foster with McKenna emergency and shitty back up RB. We now only have Holt, Foster and McKenna. Would be worried if we started the season with less fullbacks on the books than last season and I dont think any of the young guys on the verge are fullbacks?

I think McCall now sees McKenna as a permanent right-back not a centre-back (personally I felt he was pretty decent at CB), therefore him and Foster will probably command the RB slot, Holt at LB, and Foster can be utilised for cover if it was necessary (although I take the point that we’d be starting the season with one less full back option than last season - and with that I could see us maybe using a loan slot for another full back at whichever side - don’t reckon it’s seen as priority though, however could be wrong).

I still think we're looking to punt O'Ware - I noticed the trialist on Saturday used his jersey number rather than one of the unused squad numbers, so could see us signing a CB and also a full back, maybe the latter on loan. Unfortunately I think our (or McCall's) cosying up to the blue arse cheek is probably to get a couple of folk on loan, clearly we're in for Kennedy at the very least.

If we're going to play 2 up front and given Rudden's injury history we might need another striker, or we could sign 2 more wingers and use Tiffoney as an emergency striker. McCall is very much a "2 more players" type of manager so I can see us ending up with a bigger squad than he's previously said.

Anyway, I'm very glad to see the kit has black shorts, that's always my main worry for that out of the way. Even better is I only found out today Miles Storey has signed for someone who is Not Us. Had the fear that Archie would convince McCall to give him another chance.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

I still think we're looking to punt O'Ware - I noticed the trialist on Saturday used his jersey number rather than one of the unused squad numbers, so could see us signing a CB and also a full back, maybe the latter on loan. 

I thought that too, but then in one of his recent interviews McCall mentioned that O'Ware was going to be involved in the next few weeks of pre-season, plus even when O'Ware was last playing (and wasn't playing that well) McCall was raving about him - so It looks like he might be giving him another chance to prove himself post-injury. I'd really have no issue with punting him, it's a signing that really hasn't worked out and due to injury he's never been able to find his previous form. 

If we keep O'Ware or punt him & replace, that would be us having 3 CBs (Brownlie, Bell and O'Ware/Another) - plus 3 players that have previous experience of playing there (McKenna, Niang & Holt) so extremely well covered. 

I think it's possible we'll regularly play a 4-3-3 to accommodate the midfield of Doc, Banzo and Turner - limiting the partnership of Graham & Rudden however. 

6 hours ago, JagsCG said:

I thought that too, but then in one of his recent interviews McCall mentioned that O'Ware was going to be involved in the next few weeks of pre-season, plus even when O'Ware was last playing (and wasn't playing that well) McCall was raving about him - so It looks like he might be giving him another chance to prove himself post-injury. I'd really have no issue with punting him, it's a signing that really hasn't worked out and due to injury he's never been able to find his previous form. 

If we keep O'Ware or punt him & replace, that would be us having 3 CBs (Brownlie, Bell and O'Ware/Another) - plus 3 players that have previous experience of playing there (McKenna, Niang & Holt) so extremely well covered. 

I think it's possible we'll regularly play a 4-3-3 to accommodate the midfield of Doc, Banzo and Turner - limiting the partnership of Graham & Rudden however. 

I agree that I think we have enough bodies to cover centre back - although we seem to be a bit short of cover for full back - only 3 for the two positions. McKenna, Holt and Foster

13 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

It's always funny seeing players who thought they were much better than they are slowly descending downwards.

I don't know whether it's just those photos but the red and yellow seem less bright / fluorescent /hi viz than recent years which is something I've been keen to see for a while. 

Would prefer black socks but other than that minor quibble, very nice. 

3 hours ago, Juanhourjoe said:

It's always funny seeing players who thought they were much better than they are slowly descending downwards.

Going on loan to another championship club at 19 years old is descending downwards now?

I'd be more inclined to commend him for going out on loan again and getting proper game time rather than festering away in the reserves at the fud brothers.

Do the socks on the home and away kits not need to be different colours? I’m also assuming/hoping that O’Neills had something better planned for them before being told they had to stick CBS in massive letters on them.

The jersey itself is a cracker, best we’ve had in a long time. I wasn’t sure about either strip we got last season, but both of this years are belters. 

Both home and away shorts are black, and depending on exactly what Hamiltons kit looks like / whoever is reffing that day, both our tops could clash with them. Maybe we'll still use the navy kit as a third? 

Although I also fully expect there to be a "one off" retro kit for the 23rd October game.