The Partick Thistle thread

36 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Thistle surely have the 3rd biggest budget in the league behind us and Dunfermline so 5th would be a bit of a failure even if it is your first year back up.

Are you kidding?  The others had a £500,000 a few months back and we got £150,000 so I would expect us to be quite further down than third highest budget in the division 

58 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Thistle surely have the 3rd biggest budget in the league behind us and Dunfermline so 5th would be a bit of a failure even if it is your first year back up.

Our budget is nowhere near the size it was the last time we were in the Championship apparently (which probably doesn’t paint others in a good light given the dross we probably spent good money on) so no. 

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

5th would be VERY poor? Really?

Maybe it is a bit much. What are we settling on then?

1st: Incredible.

2nd: Excellent.

3rd: Great.

4th: Good.

5th/6th: Poor.

7th/8th: Very poor.

9th: Oh shit.

10th: Fold the club

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

5th would be VERY poor? Really?

Yes. 

Given the squad we've assembled middle to front anything other than play offs would be failure IMO. I would hope McCall and co will feel the same.

With the squad as it is, if we finish below Raith, Morton, QotS, Ayr or Arbroath something has went wrong (no disrespect to those teams).

Looking at Hamilton, Inverness and Dunfermline I dont think I would swap our squad for theirs. 

Add in a new defender or two and its play offs minimum for me.

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

5th would be a decent season. 

So if we finish in the play offs then we have exceed expectation and had a really good season?

Cool.

But that means you'll need to give McCall loads of praise and admit he is a good manager that knows what hes doing at this level. 

Deal?

45 minutes ago, JagsCG said:

Our budget is nowhere near the size it was the last time we were in the Championship apparently (which probably doesn’t paint others in a good light given the dross we probably spent good money on) so no. 

Maybe not, but I can’t see what other teams would definitely have a bigger budget than us. I mean, Killie and Dunfermline will, but I’d be staggered if Arbroath, Ayr, Morton, Queens or Caley do.

That leaves Accies and Raith, who I would normally expect to have a smaller budget than we do but maybe the extra Covid cash will play a part. Even if they do have a bigger budget, it won’t be by much I wouldn’t have thought.

So if we can get even a RB in before the weekend I'll be pretty happy if that's all we manage before the end of the window. You can rotate Bell, Holt at centre half and if necessary McKenna to get us through the season, at least until January.

2 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm surprised anyone disagreed with craigkillie's post. Out of interest who has a bigger budget than us if you don't think we have the 3rd biggest budget in the league?

If it's the likes of Queens, Hamilton or Morton then they're hiding it pretty well.

The only other teams might be Hamilton and Caley but the Hamilton suggestion is purely because theyve just come down. They havent done any business that suggests a decent budget. I imagine Caley are paying some of their new signings fairly well, probably a higher wage than our players, but would be surprised if their overall squad budget was more than ours.

3rd biggest budget looks about right given business done this season so youd assume that internally we are aiming for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, third lanark said:

Are you kidding?  The others had a £500,000 a few months back and we got £150,000 so I would expect us to be quite further down than third highest budget in the division 

We've sold over 2000 season tickets, though, which is comfortably more than the majority of clubs in this division not named Kilmarnock or Dunfermline, and will go some way to making up the shortfall from the grants last season. If we sell 1000 more STs than for example Inverness (I have no idea what their actual ST sales are, but would guess it to be in the 1000-1500 range), then using £300 as a rough ST cost, that could be up to £300k extra from that income stream.

The budget will be based on far more things than just the government grant that clubs received, and I'd assume craigkillie's estimation of our budget as the 3rd highest in the league to be accurate. Maybe one of Accies or Raith might be slightly larger, but I really can't see it being the case for anyone else.

35 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm surprised anyone disagreed with craigkillie's post. Out of interest who has a bigger budget than us if you don't think we have the 3rd biggest budget in the league?

If it's the likes of QUEENS Hamilton or Morton then they're hiding it pretty well.

We're Tories so of course we're minted, thought everyone knew that.  

Don't know what position the 3rd signing would be assuming we sign one FB and one CB (though I think you could make the case we need 2 FBs and 0 CBs), maybe a 4th striker or another winger?

Obviously if we get a spate of injuries at one position between now and end of August things might be different.

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

If it's the likes of Queens, Hamilton or Morton then they're hiding it pretty well.

Just a guess but giving the money from finishing in the playoffs and the £350,000 extra a few months ago think Raith will be ahead of us.  Hamilton with the years in the premier league and parachute payment as well 

No idea about Morton, Queen if the south

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We're Tories so of course we're minted, thought everyone knew that.  

All (Fox) fur coats and no knickers down that part of the Borders...