The Partick Thistle thread

If we'd signed another centre mid I'd have had to start being suspicious that "Kris Doolan" is actually Ian McCall in a Kris Doolan mask, Scooby Doo style.

I'd rather McBeth played in midfield and we signed another CB instead, one who can start alongside O'Reilly and McBeth can be 4th choice there if we have 2 injuries. I think with a full pre season behind him midfield will be his best position. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Aye, McBeth and Crawford/Turner with Robinson ahead of them, and Stanway, Bannigan and maybe Alston on the bench is about as good a central midfield as you’ll find in the league. I’d have taken Byrne because I think he’s a very good player, but equally it isn’t a priority position for us. 

On 10/06/2024 at 15:42, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, looks like he's off to Exeter City.

Good luck to him if he wants to try his luck down south. Didn't ever think Hearts would be signing him if they had aspirations of doing well in Europe and finishing 3rd again. He would have done well enough at a Dundee/St.Johnstone type though IMO.

Ballantyne is the exact type of signings Partick should be making. Proven players in the division there playing in. 3 or 4 more additions of the same mould and they shouldn't be far away from a promotion push IMO.

11 minutes ago, paddymcp said:

Good luck to him if he wants to try his luck down south. Didn't ever think Hearts would be signing him if they had aspirations of doing well in Europe and finishing 3rd again. He would have done well enough at a Dundee/St.Johnstone type though IMO.

Ballantyne is the exact type of signings Partick should be making. Proven players in the division there playing in. 3 or 4 more additions of the same mould and they shouldn't be far away from a promotion push IMO.

It’s been rumoured that Ballantyne has signed for Morton

3 hours ago, jaggyness said:

That's a bit of a blow he's a very good player we were interested in. Excellent signing for Raith. 

Let's hope we use the money we had offered to Byrne tempt other quality players (Chalmers, Megwa, Ashcroft etc)

13 minutes ago, Bazza The Jag said:

Let's hope we use the money we had offered to Byrne tempt other quality players (Chalmers, Megwa, Ashcroft etc)

Ashcroft? The press said he’s linked with Ayr and Livingston?

I would echo most on here, Byrne clearly a good player at this level based on the opinion of most, although I would be lying if I said I have actually seen much of him or particularly noticed him anytime we played Raith. Was always far more impressed with Brown and Stanton in the midfield.  But again based on the opinion of most I would never have said no to adding him to the team. I would rather we went with mcbeth in there and signed another centre half for sure. We have depth in midfield and good quality. It’s probably the one place I would say we don’t need to strengthen. I have also read before several times on here about how Raith were geographically handy for him and his family, so they only way we were ever getting him was by over paying and I don’t think that would have been sensible at all. I would be happy with ballantyne to replace McMillan and if chalmers rumours are true I think that would leave us just needing a decent centre half and versatile defender that can play across the back line defensively. Ideally a tomi level second striker and one more winger to challenge fitzy and chalmers(hopefully) in attacking sense and obviously another keeper to challenge Mitchell. Also prayers that wee Stevie makes a better recovery than expected and can play a part again next year. 

9 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, McBeth and Crawford/Turner with Robinson ahead of them, and Stanway, Bannigan and maybe Alston on the bench is about as good a central midfield as you’ll find in the league. I’d have taken Byrne because I think he’s a very good player, but equally it isn’t a priority position for us. 

Yes when you put it like that as well, if we bring back Alston it would be a bit silly really. Would also resign to the fact Mcbeth would be spending the season at centre back and I think with a a proper full time pre season behind him, he could make a cracking midfielder. Still a great signing for Raith though undeniably. 

Based on last season, I would prefer McBeth at CB. I know he was brought in to bolster the midfield, but when he played there was the period we won no games and lost a ton of goals. He was a stand out at CB. New season, new(ish) squad might be different. Centre back pairing of McBeth and O’Reilly seems pretty sound to me.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Based on last season, I would prefer McBeth at CB. I know he was brought in to bolster the midfield, but when he played there was the period we won no games and lost a ton of goals. He was a stand out at CB. New season, new(ish) squad might be different. Centre back pairing of McBeth and O’Reilly seems pretty sound to me.

These were similar to my thoughts. Although we had a bad run it couldn't be put at the door of McBeth. Just the same as when we were getting a decent run of results those could not be just attributed to Ben Stanway playing.

I am not sure how it will even pan out this season. Any signings might clear things up.

Medium to long-term, a bit like Neilson, we would be looking to develop Luke as a centre back, as that position usually has more value to a club (financially and practically) rather than a sitter or 'screener' in midfield.

3 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I’m the opposite. I’d far rather he returned to midfield and it’s for the simple reason that we’ve found that holding midfielder role far, far more problematic to fill over the past 5-6 years since Osman turned to shite.

FWIW, if we’re in for Ashcroft, neither him nor O’Reilly are likely to be on the bench imo, so I’d guess the plan is for McBeth into midfield. 

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m the opposite. I’d far rather he returned to midfield and it’s for the simple reason that we’ve found that holding midfielder role far, far more problematic to fill over the past 5-6 years since Osman turned to shite.

FWIW, if we’re in for Ashcroft, neither him nor O’Reilly are likely to be on the bench imo, so I’d guess the plan is for McBeth into midfield. 

Agree regards Osman, although Docherty was decent in the Championship. We’ve had plenty of CB’s. Our problem has been getting them fit and stopping them getting injured.

1 hour ago, BigMadMental said:

Possible indication that the away top might have purple in it as the training wear last year matched the away kit colour wise 

Hmm maybe although last year it was the piping that was pink on the training wear. We surely can't have a black away kit this time? I'm trying to think, have we ever had a purple away kit? I vaguely remember the checkered away kit having purple in it?