The Partick Thistle thread

Delighted with both those signings. As others have said, a first choice RB and a back up striker and we're good to go. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a utility defender and a gk on loan as well but wouldn't expect them to be permanent signings 

7 minutes ago, jaggyness said:

Very boring I know but wonder what squad number Kyle is going to take if McKay is going to be wearing 7 as per the training wear in his interview? 

Was Turner not number 6 last time he was with us? That was Neilson last year so could just go back to that.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Was Turner not number 6 last time he was with us? That was Neilson last year so could just go back to that.

Tiffoney was 7.

I really don't think we will go into the market for a new first choide RB. Williams is good enough. Cover needed but I do think we will be seeing more of him this year and the 2yr deal was potentially with this season in mind.

He had a great game against Dundee United that day. He does have the potential to become a really good player for us. Up to him now to show it and I do think Doolan will hand him the opportunity.

Very happy with those two signings today, as others have said we’re close to being very well served in all positions. 

Only thing bugging me is the announcements saying “the club is” rather than “are”. Clubs should always be plural!

11 minutes ago, EwanMubs25 said:

Very happy with those two signings today, as others have said we’re close to being very well served in all positions. 

Only thing bugging me is the announcements saying “the club is” rather than “are”. Clubs should always be plural!

Nah, I'd say that 'is' is correct in the context. Otherwise you could say everyone at the club are delighted.

I'm shite at English though haha.

Edited by Claudia Gentile
Told you I was shite at English

If we can keep BBG fit he could score a barrow-load this season with the potential service available.

We could revisit the 2022/23 playoff line-up with Turner, Fitzpatrick, Chalmers and Mackay all getting in on the act at times.

It could even suggest a more defensive right back being signed or even Williams getting a chance there.

Could help attract another striker too. Diack will relish it too.

21 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Nah, I'd say that 'is' is correct in the context. Otherwise you could say everyone at the club are delighted.

I'm shite at English though haha.

I think in a purely grammatical sense, ‘is’ is probably correct. But football teams have always been plural until recently - think it’s come from US sport. 

I’d say “Thistle have made two signings today” and “Thistle are winning”. Saying “Thistle has” and “Thistle is” just sounds wrong. 

3 minutes ago, EwanMubs25 said:

I think in a purely grammatical sense, ‘is’ is probably correct. But football teams have always been plural until recently - think it’s come from US sport. 

I’d say “Thistle have made two signings today” and “Thistle are winning”. Saying “Thistle has” and “Thistle is” just sounds wrong. 

https://youtu.be/Suxn3gbcF6A?si=SsXK37PEupRdYrHK

5 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think I’d be largely fine with us having Mitchell in goals and Williams at right back for the league cup games, and take a wee bit of time to get those signings right.

Yeah, we're in an unusual position on the *very brave* assumption we don't pick up half a dozen long term injuries in pre season training & friendlies, of having sufficient bodies in the door in good time. Last season we were sticking MacKenzie at right back in the LC group stages and assorted weans on the bench but if everyone bar Lawless is fit then we have enough to get through that group but add to it before the league season with loans.

Noted that Hibs tweeted MacKay left on a free transfer, was he under contract (similar to Turner being released from County)? 

Also agree that everything seems to be going too smoothly, almost get the feeling someone has misplaced a decimal point in the Excel sheet about the budget. I will stand by the point that I think there's a couple of teams in this league that can't win it this season, but absolutely everyone including ourselves could go down if things go tits up.

Edited by Fuctifano

4 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Noted that Hibs tweeted MacKay left on a free transfer, was he under contract (similar to Turner being released from County)? 

Yes. MacKay was contracted at Hibs until 2025. Like Turner and Ashcroft he’s got out the contract early to sign for us. 

6 hours ago, EwanMubs25 said:

The club is doing well.  Partick Thistle are doing well.  The club has signed a new player.  The Jags have signed a new player.  Alan Rough’s an embarrassment.  

The last part isn’t to do with grammar; it just needed to be said.

Just overheard a Falkirk fan on the train say he's excited about Jamie Sneddon in goals. Fair cheered me up after the Germany debacle.

Good signings yesterday. The squad seems a bit more balanced than it has in a while, and largely full of known quantities. At least one is bound to be a Ziggy Gordon-level disappointment though.

Fixtures out tomorrow I believe. Not much to look forward to in terms of away games, but it's always nice to get some dates in the calendar.

14 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Mackay, he had a long spell out with injury but whenever he played for us he was very good. I really liked him.

Very surprised to hear that simply because when he was back with us on loan he was pretty average at best. Had the occasional good cross in him but more often than not he seemed to run into a dead end and lose the ball. Did score a cracking header in the cup final at the end of 2022/23 of course which was nice. Would be good to see him do well however. I think he left us too early after a wee purple patch put him on the radar of other clubs before his time if you like. But at 23 / 24 he's still got a bit of time on his side.

14 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

I was surprised we've signed Daniel on a 2 year deal. Thought it may have been a loan.

He was out of contract at Hibs wasn't he? We he left us he signed a three year deal at Easter Road so he must have been at the end of that by now.

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

He was out of contract at Hibs wasn't he? We he left us he signed a three year deal at Easter Road so he must have been at the end of that by now.

Going by an above post he had a year to run on his Hibs contract 

38 minutes ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Going by an above post he had a year to run on his Hibs contract 

Ah I missed that. Don't recall him signing any extension at Hibs so I was pretty sure his contract had wound down. Anyway, will be interesting to see how he does at Partick. Hopefully he kicks on as there's definitely a decent player in there he possibly just hasn't had a chance to show it on a regular basis.