The Partick Thistle thread

Admittedly I wasn’t at NDP or Tannadice where he scored but I haven’t see much from Edwards other than a lot of running about, giving away numerous fouls, and passing the ball to the opposition lots. I am willing to forgive him though based on his luscious mane. Although not when he’s got it in a top knot.

Other than the obvious defensive issues which we’ll know more about how many folk we’re looking for in the next couple of days, agree I’d be happy with another defensive midfielder to let 3 from Lawless / Erskine / Amoo / Edwards / Elliott / McDaid (lol) and if possible an upgrade on Pogba with him being punted.

Or this could be the year of Div Wilson.

I'm loving this talk of attacking formations etc from you lads. Far better than the usual hoofball in this league.

Word of caution though - I think our "front four" of Harkins, Loy, Stewart and Hemmings is better than your proposed front 4 overall and we still took pumpings from some of the leagues dross due to how open playing that system left us.

You had a better defence than us last season IMO but it's only been weakened so far and will need to improve on last seasons performances if your going to go balls out at teams.

I hope you do - the league needs teams that actually try and play football.

Word of caution though - I think our "front four" of Harkins, Loy, Stewart and Hemmings is better than your proposed front 4 overall and we still took pumpings from some of the leagues dross due to how open playing that system left us.

It definitely is better than ours. We wouldn't play with 2 right up top though and the central attacking midfielder would be expected to muck in a fair bit defensively, which is why Edwards would be good in that role. We would potentially be able to play with a more attacking player like Erskine or Lawless at home to dross like Hamilton and The Rangers though, or at least change it around if we're losing games. We've even tried Doolan there in the past with varying success. 

It definitely is better than ours. We wouldn't play with 2 right up top though and the central attacking midfielder would be expected to muck in a fair bit defensively, which is why Edwards would be good in that role. We would potentially be able to play with a more attacking player like Erskine or Lawless at home to dross like Hamilton and The Rangers though, or at least change it around if we're losing games. We've even tried Doolan there in the past with varying success.

We never really had a 2 up top apart from very early in the season.

It was Kane up top with Harkins behind, Stewart and Loy out wide right and left.

You may of course get more defensive work from your 3 behind the front man which may help.

They'd be hard pushed to offer less defensively than Harkins at least!

On David Wilson, he did put in a competent display in an admittedly meaningless game against Hamilton. He is still only 21 and has struggled for game time in his natural position. It's worth bearing in mind he hasn't been given the Bannigan luxury of breaking into an initially poor team and then growing with it. I'm certainly happy giving him another year to see if he can make the breakthrough.

Doesn't surprise me that Lawless has signed for two years rather than one. I remember in the papers he was saying that whereas he previously liked the challenge of one-year deals he was looking for a bit more stability now he has a young family.

We might have been able to do better, but he's decent and I'm glad we're not playing against him next season. He linked-up well with Erskine and Doolan in the promotion season so hopefully they can gel well as a group.

Priority now surely has to be getting two players who can play at centre-back signed-up, ideally one that can also cover right-back.

Beyond that, if we could get another out-and-out striker into the club, and an aggressive midfielder with a decent pass on them to challenge Welsh for a place, that's us pretty much sorted for a match-day squad. I wouldn't be surprised if Pogba moves on in the winter window.

Just now we are looking at:

Cerny

Dumbuya _______ Lindsay Booth

Osman Fraser

Lawless Erskine Amoo

Doolan

Subs: Scully, Penrice, Welsh, Elliott, Edwards, Pogba

Plus whoever's sticking about from the development squad.

If Frans and Millar were to sign-up, that's a clear matchday 18 in place.

The ones I've highlighted in bold will already be under contract for next summer, which is about the same as we had 12 months ago.

You've forgotten Kevin Nisbet on the bench, but hopefully he'll go out on loan to a Championship side to get a full season of game time at a decent level.

The other thing I'm hoping for this summer is Callum Booth taking the number 3 jersey.

Agreeing terms in principle isn't the same as being close to signing, it just means that the alternate job offer was agreeable. I think his first choice was always to stay at Thistle - Dundee was a (decent) fallback choice for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

We never really had a 2 up top apart from very early in the season.

It was Kane up top with Harkins behind, Stewart and Loy out wide right and left.

You may of course get more defensive work from your 3 behind the front man which may help.

Does the wee bam that beats up Polis not play in your front 4? Edited by dave.j

Ryan Edwards.

Ryan Edwards.

Ryan Edwards!!

Surely Edwards is ahead of Fraser in the pecking order. I really think with a full pre season with the squad Edwards is going to be a key man for us next season.

Edwards isn't anywhere near as effective in one of the two holding midfield berths as the one sitting behind the striker. I think Fraser is better in the deeper positions.

I can see Erskine moving out wide as and when Edwards plays.

Agreeing terms in principle isn't the same as being close to signing, it just means that the alternate job offer was agreeable. I think his first choice was always to stay at Thistle - Dundee was a (decent) fallback choice for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

He verbally agreed to join us on a PCA in January. A verbal agreement was made the day before over the phone and he was at Dens to sign the deal the following day (coincidentally the same day Kevin Thomson left the club)

His agent started trying to negotiate on the verbal agreement (which had been negotiated for a week prior to this) - primarily to bump up his end of the deal and was told to bolt, face to face, by John Nelms.

I have no reason to make this up. Like you say it's worked out well for the player with him staying closer to home and a pay rise.

He verbally agreed to join us on a PCA in January. A verbal agreement was made the day before over the phone and he was at Dens to sign the deal the following day (coincidentally the same day Kevin Thomson left the club)

His agent started trying to negotiate on the verbal agreement (which had been negotiated for a week prior to this) - primarily to bump up his end of the deal and was told to bolt, face to face, by John Nelms.

I have no reason to make this up. Like you say it's worked out well for the player with him staying closer to home and a pay rise.

Knowing that Osman's agent caused a delay to him signing his new deal with us, I could accept the above story as entirely plausible. 

You have no reason to make it up other than that you're on every other club's thread spouting drivel and being one of the most irritating posters on the forum (this is from more of a lurker than a poster).

You have no reason to make it up other than that you're on every other club's thread spouting drivel and being one of the most irritating posters on the forum (this is from more of a lurker than a poster).

:lol:

At least you're not rattled.

Minter

Thank you

Edited by Deefiant