The Partick Thistle thread

Can't wait to see Lawless and Erskine link up again. Surprised to see he's re-signed tbh. Great stuff, and at least the two year deal gives us a break from the will-he, won't he? saga.

Pretty sure Frans will re-sign from the Twitter hints. I think Miller would re-sign if he was guaranteed to start because I can see him getting a sideways move at best, but is probably concerned about just being Dumbuya's understudy all year.

Can't wait to see Lawless and Erskine link up again. Surprised to see he's re-signed tbh. Great stuff, and at least the two year deal gives us a break from the will-he, won't he? saga.

Pretty sure Frans will re-sign from the Twitter hints. I think Miller would re-sign if he was guaranteed to start because I can see him getting a sideways move at best, but is probably concerned about just being Dumbuya's understudy all year.

Agree about Miller, though he should be taking into account Dumbuya’s fragility and also that he might be getting a game at centre half. I think he’d have to drop down a level to get a start every week and I’m fairly certain from previous discussions he’s from Glasgow and his boy is in the Thistle Weir academy (must have been a young father if so) so we’re probably a decent location for him.

As for Lawless, definitely thought he’d be away, so very pleased at this.

Edited by Fuctifano

Would there be an argument for re-signing Miller as a center back?  I don't remember him being that bad when he deputised there, but I guess we would be wanting a natural center back to replace Seabourne, and then he'd probably end up stuck behind him. 

So we're only looking for 2 replacements? Seabourne and Bannigan.

If Frans and Miller re-sign, then yes. 

Wouldn't be too unhappy if we came to some sort of mutual release for Pogba though, and signed another striker.

Happy with Lawless signing. Didn't think he would, but I thought if he did then it would definitely be on a one-year deal. Credit to the club for getting him to sign a two-year contract.

Ourselves and other Scottish teams are looking at Callum McFadzean who was released from Sheffield United, can play at the back or midfield. If Miller signs on we need at least one centre half, a Banzo replacement and another winger (as we only have Amoo and Lawless as natural wingers).

Ourselves and other Scottish teams are looking at Callum McFadzean who was released from Sheffield United, can play at the back or midfield. If Miller signs on we need at least one centre half, a Banzo replacement and another winger (as we only have Amoo and Lawless as natural wingers).

I had thought Robbie muirhead was away to Hearts but a couple of people had suggested he has been invited for pre season training, it might be can provide competition to Pogba as a striker, or maybe even able to play on the wing.  Only just turned 20 and I though he did okay for us considering he was on loan from relegation rivals and was only about 19 at the time, certainly no worse than Pogba.  If it is true and for all I know he has maybe signed for Hearts think he would only get better and probably would be competition for Pogba or Doolan

And Elliott.

Lawless isn't the type of player who'll make much of a difference between top 6 and bottom 6, but I'm glad he's signed if only to improve the foundation we have to build on over the next two months.

We're still crying out for a quality attacking midfielder who can play either wide or centrally, who can offer a threat through the middle and make late runs into the box. Too often you see Dumbuya or Booth make a decent cross into the box that goes nowhere because our players are already in the box, waiting and static. If we had such a threat last season, I think we'd have scored considerably more goals and finished in the top half. The Celtic game at Parkhead being one game especially where we could have given out a doing, but didn't.

In the same match, Callum McGregor (?) stood out as exactly the *kind* of player that would do.

Other than that, a centre half and a defensively competent midfielder with good distribution, and we can begin our charge for Europe.

Loving the optimism, but we need to change things from last season if we are going to make progress. Erskine might be one of the catalysts for that, with his directness, but we need a box to box Jackson Irvine type midfielder that will chip in with goals.