Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

Thought it was a decent enough return. Not one of the best episodes but not the worst either. Had a couple of laugh out loud jokes. Eric's bunnett was the best IMO. The Winston's brother was a strange story line. When they have done similar the rest of the group have eventually found out what he is truly like. Walter going away with everyone still singing his praises was odd.

Thought it was a decent enough return. Not one of the best episodes but not the worst either. Had a couple of laugh out loud jokes. Eric's bunnett was the best IMO. The Winston's brother was a strange story line. When they have done similar the rest of the group have eventually found out what he is truly like. Walter going away with everyone still singing his praises was odd.

I've a feeling Walter will be a recurring character this season.

My girlfriend thinks Winston will die at the end and Walter reveals his true colours to the Craiglang mob. I'm of the opinion Walter will die and something comes out of it.

On 7 October 2016 at 22:09, djchapsticks said:

I enjoyed it, it felt very similar to the Still Game of old which is probably the biggest compliment I can pay it. 

I agree with others though, it reallynranslate well to HD. 

I have to say that in its original run, Still Game never dipped in quality. If I didn't know the show so well, I couldn't tell the difference between a series 2 episode and a series 5 episode, for example. Apart from the HD filming, this 

24 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Is it only back for a one off series or will there be more after this one?

They're not saying, but the indication is that if it does well, they'll be offered the chance to do more.

Sorry for the repost above. The site appears to have saved that response so that whenever I tried to reply to anything in this thread, that text was there and undeletable. Only way to get rid was to post it again!

I really enjoyed it - not up there with the best episodes, but definitely enough to keep me interested, especially when it had such big expectations.

Eric's bunnet and the arm-and-a-leg line were brilliant, and Navid with the bluetooth mop.

Suspect we will see more of both Winston's brother and Jack's angry Irish neighbour, and on the point of the Clansman's name, I can't say I noticed or that it bothered me - a throwaway line from Boaby that "everyone calls it that anyway" would be enough for continuity too. Hope we see more of Tam in the next few episodes too.

1 hour ago, paul-r-cfc said:

One of my pals is related to the actor that played Walter. Apparently he's said he recorded more than one episode. Take from that what you will

There's a story going round he's not an actor, but a lawyer who won the role for being a "super fan" of the show. If true that would be pretty disappointing - Still Game usually always casts really good character actors in roles like that.

Seems I'm the only 1 who found Victors 2 pebble scenes hilarious then?

Nope, I'm in your club. Was dying with laughter, particularly when he came out to the 'rockery' for the first time and mumbled "£16 for this pile of shite" before almost breaking his ankle. The laughter track went loud as he came out so I wonder if many people missed his quote.

Gotta say, after finally getting to watch it (3 sittings) I would easily give it pass marks. My fears were that it was going to try to hard to be funny and come across as a novelty. When it started off with Jack standing clock watching I thought my fears were about to become reality but after that it went along it's business as if they had never been away.

A welcome return of Scotland's best loved comedy :D

The funniest bits of Still Game usually occur when they're steaming (like the trip to distillery). So while the episode wasn't as funny as the earlier series, I literally did LOL whenever Jack and Victor came back from a sesh at the Clansman, and searching in vain through the hundreds of rocks he stuck outside his flat. 

19 hours ago, Antlion said:

There's a story going round he's not an actor, but a lawyer who won the role for being a "super fan" of the show. If true that would be pretty disappointing - Still Game usually always casts really good character actors in roles like that.

10 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Sure I read that he'd been pushing for many years to get them back together for stage shows as he saw one on an old DVD or something.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/still-game-superfan-lands-dream-8960449 explains it!

I enjoyed it. I'm by no means an avid fan,  and am thankful for that. Some on here seem to feel that the original series were all 10/10 corkers, which it wasn't. This was on a par with most episodes - which is to say the best half hour of comedy I have seen on TV in a very, very long time. 

My wife and I enjoyed the scene in the bath; my mum was in tears at Isa's dog. 

It was massively hyped - probably more so than any other Scottish sitcom - I'm surprised it didn't struggle to cope with the weight of expectation. There was a lot of things I didn't like about the episode and it won't go down as one of their all time best - but it deserves massive credit for effectively handling the massive hype.