Still Game & Best Bits

smpar

I thought it was actually going to be as poor as last week after the first few minutes but I thought that was a good episode. The dog insults between Jack and Victor was good as was Jack, Victor and Tam throwing stuff at the spider. The cast seemed a lot more comfortable in their roles for me.

"Moan onion" :lol:

Well we keep getting told on here how it will get better as it goes on. Next weeks one must be an absolute belter because it certainly hasn't been anything special so far

No we don't, we just keep getting your shite post over and over again.

I suppose you have to be careful not to allow the quality of last week's episode to colour your opinion of this one too much. For me, last week's was by far the worst episode of Still Game that I've ever watched, so almost anything was likely to represent some sort of modest improvement. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a particularly vintage episode; in the context of this series, however, it was pretty good. There was a more fluent narrative and the whole thing was less forced and more authentic, relative to last week's effort, at least. Having said that, there were moments when I thought the ideas were perhaps superior to the precise execution. The second installment is still easily the strongest and most reminiscent of past glories, IMO; this sneaks into second spot. 

My frustration with 'Methadone Mick' is just how painfully one-dimensional he is as a character, I think. As a result of that flaw, it is very difficult for him to carry the weight of the role that he is being asked to play without fast becoming mundane. I suspected the third episode might change this somewhat, but apparently not. I don't believe he is necessarily a poor character in and of himself, but more that he has quickly been overused and become threadbare.

Well we keep getting told on here how it will get better as it goes on. Next weeks one must be an absolute belter because it certainly hasn't been anything special so far

Shut the f**k up and stop spamming.

I suppose you have to be careful not to allow the quality of last week's episode to colour your opinion of this one too much. For me, last week's was by far the worst episode of Still Game that I've ever watched, so almost anything was likely to represent some sort of modest improvement. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't a particularly vintage episode; in the context of this series, however, it was pretty good. There was a more fluent narrative and the whole thing was less forced and more authentic, relative to last week's effort, at least. Having said that, there were moments when I thought the ideas were perhaps superior to the precise execution. The second installment is still easily the strongest and most reminiscent of past glories, IMO; this sneaks into second spot. 

My frustration with 'Methadone Mick' is just how painfully one-dimensional he is as a character, I think. As a result of that flaw, it is very difficult for him to carry the weight of the role that he is being asked to play without fast becoming mundane. I suspected the third episode might change this somewhat, but apparently not. I don't believe he is necessarily a poor character in and of himself, but more that he has quickly been overused and become threadbare.

The ending to the show felt rushed and unnatural too. Then they had a bit after the credits that seemed longer than usual, which was better than the ending.

Still game is generally pish, but it's our Scottish pish. Some times the worse the joke/story line the better for me, I'll get a decent laugh out of it because I don't take it too seriously. It is what it is.

The first two series are up there with the best comedies I've ever seen. The fact they can still get lots of people to watch in Series 7 means they must be doing something right.

Minor annoyance, I think they've done the 'someone almost saying f**k then getting interrupted' joke about five times this series. Even the better episodes still have wee issues like that which make the writing a bit lazy and overly stagey.

I've noticed this too. I think they did it maybe two or three times throughout the first six series, and it's already been done at least once in each episode in this one.

11 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Didnae think there were too many laughs in that one, tbh.

This. The insults over the dog, Erics quipp about Isa marrying him and the whole scene where the spider first escaped were all funny. Jack getting a hard-on, Onion shitting and Victors chat with his son at the start all felt unnatural and cheap. 

Micks clearly just lazy writing. "We need a link between Winston and a tarantula, what can we think up?" "MICK!!!!", the table of writers must just resemble the monorail sequence from the Simpsons with everyone screaming his name.

This. The insults over the dog, Erics quipp about Isa marrying him and the whole scene where the spider first escaped were all funny. Jack getting a hard-on, Onion shitting and Victors chat with his son at the start all felt unnatural and cheap. 

Micks clearly just lazy writing. "We need a link between Winston and a tarantula, what can we think up?" "MICK!!!!", the table of writers must just resemble the monorail sequence from the Simpsons with everyone screaming his name.

Completely agree with all of this.

Although this series has been pretty average, it's still the only TV show I'll watch every single week.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

thought the bit in the park was excellent, jack carrying onion was funny as f**k imo, isa on the computer as well was good

Enjoying the series, but the whole Poochy/Methadone Mick analogy is apt. I'd never have guessed he was going to turn into a recurring character TBH; just seemed like a single-scene plot device to introduce Pete's will. They've shoehorned him in at every opportunity like it's a contractual obligation.