Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On the subject on transfers, I wouldn't touch Hastie on loan. I genuinely think it would be more trouble than it was worth. The idea that fans will take to him quickly doesn't seem realistic to me.

I was a big fan of Devante Cole, frankly I think a lot of fans underestimated what he did in the first half of the season. I'd be really happy if we could get him

Still feel as if with Long away we need that player with goals in him. The lad Callum Lang is a massive prospect for Wigan but was hampered by injuries last season but if we added him to the squad he’d be a great addition, similar player Long. Would love to keep Long as he was getting more clinical as the season went on. As for Cole he was a good player for the squad but we’ve got Jordan White as well who essentially takes his role. A winger and striker are a must now. 

It seems that Wigan have went into administration. I wonder how this will affect any transfer fees for Kipre? Right now they get a 12 point deduction so they are now bottom of the championship, 4 points from safety with 6 games to go. They are one of the best performers over the last period (7 games without conceding i think) but how will this affect the team? How will this affect any transfer fees assuming we are still due some money) or sell on fees? 

I have no clue how any of this works but it is certainly an interesting topic.

43 minutes ago, nsr said:

Hadn't Hastie largely been found out by opponents the time he left us?

Hard to tell. 

Like a lot of younger players who have a big breakthrough and are hyped up beyond belief, once he became a known quantity and got a bit more attention(on and off the pitch) his form nosedived.

Usually in those situations, the player is given a spell out the team before being phased back in gradually and you get a better gauge of how good he actually is. Which we never got to see with Hastie, so there’s definitely a question mark about how good he really is. 

What I would say though is if you actually look back through his goals, very few of them are actually as a result of him cutting inside onto his left foot and shooting. Despite him often being painted as a ‘one trick pony’, I do think there’s a bit more to him than that. 

He might not be as good as he was initially hyped up to be but I still reckon there’s still plenty there to work with - pace, power, good movement and a sledgehammer of a left foot. If he’s up for it and Robinson wants him then I don’t really see the problem with it. 

Edited by Casagolda

1 hour ago, nsr said:

Hadn't Hastie largely been found out by opponents the time he left us?

Depends really. @Casagolda's post above sums it up pretty well IMO.

If you listen to Robinson talking about him it seems clear his view was he could have got more out him but his head had been turned and the whole situation affected him and his game. Also, it was his first run in the first team you'd expect any winger we sign to have a dip in form at some point - even more so if the opposition is doubling up on him.

Looking at his record from that season it was really only after the split that he disappeared from the starting XI and his 2 sub appearances were away from home.

2056367005_ScreenShot2020-07-01at13_00_29.png.facac14e89fa7bbe8d3a3977651bf8fb.png

There's actually a bit of further reading about his time at Rotherham here.

In other news I see that's Wigan gone into administration I wonder if that will have any knock on with us in terms of Kipré and also we were being linked with their forward Callum Lang on a loan.

Ha! Completely missed @Phillips455 post above asking the same thing....sorry about that.

Edited by capt_oats

It seems that Wigan have went into administration. I wonder how this will affect any transfer fees for Kipre? Right now they get a 12 point deduction so they are now bottom of the championship, 4 points from safety with 6 games to go. They are one of the best performers over the last period (7 games without conceding i think) but how will this affect the team? How will this affect any transfer fees assuming we are still due some money) or sell on fees? 
I have no clue how any of this works but it is certainly an interesting topic.

We still have a contract with them, so if he is sold we get our cut. If he’s released... we get zero.

5 minutes ago, steelmen said:

We still have a contract with them, so if he is sold we get our cut. If he’s released... we get zero.

I was thinking about the fee we agreed. I believe it was supposed to be spread over a number of seasons, so there may be some money that is still due to be paid. With administration this may affect that fee. 

I was thinking about the fee we agreed. I believe it was supposed to be spread over a number of seasons, so there may be some money that is still due to be paid. With administration this may affect that fee. 

Never thought of that, just assumed it had been all paid by now.

They don’t like teams defaulting on football debt, but I’m guessing we would just take our place in the queue with the others and get pennies in the pound

Or we can just take him back and sell him again???

This could be a very big test of the hypocrisy abilities of the 'Well support - I'll be massively disappointed if there aren't a tidal wave of posts criticising Wigan for escaping their debt obligations by going into administration.

I wonder if this will affect our pursuit of Lang on loan as well as any issue with Kipre's installments/sell-on fee.

If Hastie came back and done us a turn then I'd be all for it, although I was slightly in the "one trick pony" camp towards the end myself, although admittedly I may have been a bit fickle with his impending move to Rangers. 

The problem is that since he's left, he's had a few months at Rotherham where he played on the left (thus eliminating the cut inside move) and after a promising start dipped in and out the side, then went back and played in the reserves/Irn Bru cup for Rangers. It's hardly like we're getting him back in "good condition" so to speak.

There's also the pressure element. When he came back from Alloa, he was expected to be Elliott Frear's understudy after Frear worked his way back into the side. He then came into the team due to Frear's injury and started scoring belters. We have several fans who will be questioning the clubs' decision to bring him back if he comes in and goes, say, 5 or 6 matches without a belter or similar moment of magic. One thing that goes in his favour is that he may get his "settling in" period behind closed doors.

I actually don't at any point blame him for joining Rangers. I think the stats were something like 4 goals in 60 games between Airdrie and Alloa, so you really can't blame someone who hasn't particularly been a standout at lower levels cashing in on a purple patch. I think you'd struggle to find many who'd have acted differently in his shoes.

I think the difference between him and Turnbull was that Turnbull had faith he wasn't just a flash in the pan, purple patch, one trick pony type of player (delete as applicable) and he had faith there would be interest beyond last summer and people would be willing to pay a fee for him (obviously that didn't work out exactly to plan but the general point stands)

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

I hope since it has been 2 seasons since big Cedric left most if not all of what we were due has been paid. Add ons such as appearances and staying in the league are likely to have been met also. He has made 65 appearances for Wigan so I hope we had set the bar at 50 appearances and no higher. 

I guess the Q Mark is around any sell on clause. Is our contract revoked as a result of admin ? He appears to be one of their star men and so there may be a few enquiries for his services.  Better yet he has to come back to us as their are outstanding monies but again I suspect we have been paid most of what we were due if not all. 

As for Hastie. I am not overly happy but that is purely down to his destination rather than the decision for him to accept a lucrative contract that 99.9% on this forum would have done. In fact his form since suggests he was right to take the offer whilst it was there. My only concern is he is a Rangers player so although we may benefit on the pitch - they would benefit from him getting more focus and possible a greater transfer fee than we got. That would be ironic even if we are due some of that from a sell on clause. 

With the meltdown going on in the world including football are we missing an opportunity by getting most if not all of our transfer business done now.  Their may be some bargains / very good players to be snapped up in a few weeks time. Would rather also have Ariyibi but not sure where he is and what his circumstances are. 

Edited by welldaft