Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

32 minutes ago, fat_tony said:

There was some chat at the game on Saturday that Derek Weir has been quietly appointed CEO. I had previously caught some stuff about him doing the job on an interim basis but the story was that it's been made permanent and the search for a new CEO called off.

I've no idea how true this is or if someone's just picked things up wrong but then there hasn't been any communication from the club either way.

Nick McPheat picked up on this from Kettlewell the other week.

I mean, it's possible Kettlewell just didn't feel the need to distinguish between interim-CEO and CEO.

Derek Weir has been working on an interim / advisory basis I think for a couple of days per week.  I may have this wrong but he was still working at the Co-operative bank as a Non Exec Director and so unable to take the role on a FT basis. That may have changed or be about to change. I suspect if he was interested in a FT basis he would be an obvious choice. 

We may learn more tomorrow at the AGM tomorrow evening. Not sure what king of job he would do. But he is clearly very experienced in Senior commercial roles and is also a fan. So good luck to him if he does take it on board FT. 

17 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I like Tierney a lot and he's absolutely someone I'm rooting for but ultimately with the team set up as it is the only realistic spot that he's a shout for is the Spittal role and on current form that's not happening. Another season of Rossi being parked on the bench isn't going to do anyone any favours either.

I'm pleased it's a loan as he's still contracted to 2025 so as @well fan for life says above this should, in theory, give him an opportunity go get a run in another team (who aren't league rivals) and we can take it from there in terms of how things look going forward.

I mean, it's not like we've Danzaki'd him.

It's interesting to hear the Efford rumours as aside from him being listed as a "doubt" last Monday he's kind of disappeared after the bounce games in the Netherlands and I thought his name was kind of conspicuous in its absence with Kettlewell and Frail's chat about wanting to add attacking options.

The thing with Efford as well is that it wasn't as though his first games were those pre seasons, he had featured, and scored, in a few of the reserves games last season, so you would think he has been 'fit' or pushing to fitness for about 3 months or so. 

a quick look on twitter, he featured in a friendly against Ayr on the 4 April, that isn't to say there hasn't been any set backs but he seems to have been involved right up until the league cup games.

27 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Have I missed a rumour on Efford? He picked up a knock of some sort did he not, no?

You are as well reading tea leaves ! Something appears to be up. Otherwise Kettlewell probably would have mentioned him in recent pre / post match interviews. Tierney was not mentioned and next thing we know he is away on a season long loan deal.

I really warmed to Efford before his injury. I thought he was getting up to speed and was looking quite dangerous down the wing taking on opposition players. So was upset he got his injury and of course that it effectively ruled him out for the whole bloody season. 

If he is fit and can stay fit I would like him to stay. But maybe Ketts knows that is unlikely to happen. Maybe Efford himself has said he wants to move on for a fresh start. Maybe none of that. But unless someone actually tells us what is going on we will speculate. 

The list of forward players that have left / are leaving that was posted on previous page is quite enlightening. As stated we were top heavy but now it is wafer thin. If Efford joins Shields in leaving them we need at least 2 more attacking options for the season ahead. 

43 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Have I missed a rumour on Efford? He picked up a knock of some sort did he not, no?

Yeh that was my thinking as well, although @welldaft does make a good point. The lack of clarity leads to speculation, whether it's well placed or not.

I noticed a couple of people making the case for Mckinstry and I see Efford in a similar role tbh. Gives us an option to change things up or could perhaps play in behind in the current system, admittedly I'm not actually convinced Mckinstry could do the later. Point being, Ketts clearly didn't fancy Mckinstry in his preferred shape and with budgets being as they are has chosen to prioritise elsewhere. Efford may also fall into that bracket.

Edited by Londonwell

Similarly, I was starting to come round to Efford when he got injured. Looking back though it’s hard to remember if he was actually good, or my memory inflating him to good compared to how shite we were.  On this basis I’d have liked to see him get some more game time to confirm it was the former. However, given his career to date he clearly has faith in himself (I’m basing this on his wiki page saying he gave up a college scholarship to play in Europe) and isn’t scared to make a move to new places, so if he feels he isn’t in Kettlewell’s plans I wouldn’t be surprised if he was pushing a move. 

2 minutes ago, Ceiling Granny said:

Similarly, I was starting to come round to Efford when he got injured. Looking back though it’s hard to remember if he was actually good, or my memory inflating him to good compared to how shite we were.  On this basis I’d have liked to see him get some more game time to confirm it was the former. However, given his career to date he clearly has faith in himself (I’m basing this on his wiki page saying he gave up a college scholarship to play in Europe) and isn’t scared to make a move to new places, so if he feels he isn’t in Kettlewell’s plans I wouldn’t be surprised if he was pushing a move. 

The game he was really good in was away at County. However that might distort things because they were really, really, really shite that night. He definitely had found a wee bit of form but I am hesitant to put too much on that as prior to that he wasn't really that good.