Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, boozyBJ said:

Were in for Adam Levine from Rangers on loan, well us and killie apparently. With our huge wage budget I’m sure we’ll blow Killie out the water with this one

Better get on the phone to Hollywood for a sub.

The Lanarkshire club spent £6m more on staff costs than Kilmarnock over their first six seasons in fan ownership. In the 2021-22 season, it spent £5.2m - a rise of 60% in five years - and significantly more than Kilmarnock (£3.4m), St Mirren (£3.9m) and Ross County (£3.1m).

If we have spent £5.2m when our accounts come out i'll buy @Desp all the pre match beers he can drink in our first game next season. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

It maybe was the past few seasons but I very much doubt that is true today. And to say it is a GOOD bit below tells me that is nonsense. 

I reckon Kelly apart you would be paying more to the likes of Vassell, Matty Kennedy, Stuart Findlay and Greg Stewart for starters. 

Don’t suppose it matters much other than correcting a spurious claim.

Vassell was signed from the 2nd tier in the USA, Kennedy is local and signed a long-term deal which was probably the main motivating factor rather than money (though he'll be one of our higher earners) and Findlay is on loan because his club in England wanted rid. Stewart will be on good money.

15 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The Lanarkshire club spent £6m more on staff costs than Kilmarnock over their first six seasons in fan ownership. In the 2021-22 season, it spent £5.2m - a rise of 60% in five years - and significantly more than Kilmarnock (£3.4m), St Mirren (£3.9m) and Ross County (£3.1m).

If we have spent £5.2m when our accounts come out i'll buy @Desp all the pre match beers he can drink in our first game next season. 

Aye, as @Busta Nut says it's already been pointed out that comment was addressed by our interim CEO and put into context during his 40 min interview.

It was discussed in here ages ago when the Tweet went out.

Also, your accounts that will be published soon will tell you precisely f**k all about this season as they're last season's accounts.

On 20/12/2023 at 16:30, capt_oats said:

Just to the point of the comparison made with Killie.

They reported an average number of 144 employees for the 21/22 season by comparison we reported 209 however we list Youth Football/Academy etc whereas Killie don't so again...colour me fucking surprised that ours is a higher figure.

Kilmarnock FC 21/22

Screenshot2023-12-20at16_24_01.thumb.png.2bc763975771d7baab8dc4a86ba2cf02.png

Motherwell FC 21/22
Screenshot2023-12-20at16_26_16.thumb.png.0c46d3fe13dfc717d53948e5264d2391.png

Edited by capt_oats

Seeing as @craigkillie is cutting about the thread this seems like the sort of question he might know the answer to.

Is there a limit on the number of clubs from the same division that account for players being loaned in at Premiership level?

I've had it in my head that it's one player from a single club and a maximum of 2 clubs so as it stands we have Halliday on loan from Hearts and Montgomery from Celtic which would mean we're maxed.

4 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Seeing as @craigkillie is cutting about the thread this seems like the sort of question he might know the answer to.

Is there a limit on the number of clubs from the same division that account for players being loaned in at Premiership level?

I've had it in my head that it's one player from a single club and a maximum of 2 clubs so as it stands we have Halliday on loan from Hearts and Montgomery from Celtic which would mean we're maxed.

The rules on this change so regularly that it's hard to keep on top of. I think it has only applied to over 21 players though, so wouldn't count to someone like Devine regardless.

It used to be one over 21 player from another Premiership club (I remember Ross County having to release Scott Boyd to join us permanently so that we could sign Conor Sammon on loan from Hearts), but presumably you are now allowed at least two.

EDIT: Seems to just be a limit one player from any club and a total limit of 5 from all Scottish clubs.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 11.36.48.png

Edited by craigkillie

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

As @Busta Nut has said, this has already been poo-poo'd.

If we want to start getting in to it, the interesting/boring thing about all this is kind of like Derek Weir mentioned in the video. Really depends how things are reported

As an example, for 21/22:

• Motherwell had 209 members of staff reported for the 5.2m, of that 41 are players and 13 football staff (54)
  • Killie had 144 members of staff for the 3.4m, of that 53 playing and backroom staff
  • One difference is we report 32 youth football staff members, 15% of the total staff volume, and Killie don't have that reported. So either there is no youth football at Killie or it's all free, or it's reported via another mechanism somewhere.

3 minutes ago, eliphas said:

As @Busta Nut has said, this has already been poo-poo'd.

If we want to start getting in to it, the interesting/boring thing about all this is kind of like Derek Weir mentioned in the video. Really depends how things are reported

As an example, for 21/22:

• Motherwell had 209 members of staff reported for the 5.2m, of that 41 are players and 13 football staff (54)
  • Killie had 144 members of staff for the 3.4m, of that 53 playing and backroom staff
  • One difference is we report 32 youth football staff members, 15% of the total staff volume, and Killie don't have that reported. So either there is no youth football at Killie or it's all free, or it's reported via another mechanism somewhere.

Not wanting to drag this along, and it's not a fair comparison anyway since we were in the Championship that season and wouldn't have needed as high a wage bill, but I doubt that the youth system would account for anything near the £1.8m difference here.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not wanting to drag this along, and it's not a fair comparison anyway since we were in the Championship that season and wouldn't have needed as high a wage bill, but I doubt that the youth system would account for anything near the £1.8m difference here.

Yeah me neither, that's only one example.

I guess what I'm saying is we both report the same first team and backroom staff numbers more or less. 53 Vs 54. 

So if we look at the totality if everything else reported staff wise 

You have 144 employees total reported which is 69% of ours which is 209

You pay a total of 3.4m to those 144 which is about 65% of our total of 5.2m to our 209.

Not a huge jump to think the playing budgets are broadly similar and a huge chunk of the overall difference in spend is other staff members of which you don't report on the same way as us. 

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The rules on this change so regularly that it's hard to keep on top of. I think it has only applied to over 21 players though, so wouldn't count to someone like Devine regardless.

It used to be one over 21 player from another Premiership club (I remember Ross County having to release Scott Boyd to join us permanently so that we could sign Conor Sammon on loan from Hearts), but presumably you are now allowed at least two.

EDIT: Seems to just be a limit one player from any club and a total limit of 5 from all Scottish clubs.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 11.36.48.png

Magic. Thanks Craig.

10 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Not a huge jump to think the playing budgets are broadly similar and a huge chunk of the overall difference in spend is other staff members of which you don't report on the same way as us. 

Because Bowie pays them cash in hand off the books.