Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

45 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd totally forgotten that haha. A sacrifice I am willing to make.

On the Kelly point I noticed this from McGarry in his weekly mailer:

"New investment is coming, but Kettlewell has already said that he doesn’t expect it to significantly alter his playing budget for next season. Liam Kelly will likely depart, as will key team member Spittal, who has a pre-contract agreement with Hearts."

I know that it's a general opinion piece but it's interesting to read that it's likely Kelly's away.

I mean, I think it's the right choice for him if he is as tbqh a fresh start somewhere would do him good but still...

45 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Not to read too much into it, but I think Kelly said something about finishing strongly and preparing for next season post Hibs. Might just be fitballer chat but while we're speculating...

I genuinely wonder what options would be open to him were he to leave. I have been a critic for sure. I recognise he does have some very good games even this season. But I keep harping back to him having the lowest save % in the entire league iirc. 

It might end up being a be careful what you wish for moment, but I do think it is best for all if he moves on.  I wonder if we have made him a contract offer ? It was widely reported he was our top earner and even rumoured to be on circa £4k per week. If it is true that money could be better invested in a couple of players. 

If he leaves I wish him all the very best. Certainly no hard feelings from myself. If he stays I would be underwhelmed to say the very least. We need to start from (almost scratch) defensively which includes the GK position(s) in order to try and address our glaring weakness this season. 

7 hours ago, welldaft said:

I genuinely wonder what options would be open to him were he to leave. I have been a critic for sure. I recognise he does have some very good games even this season. But I keep harping back to him having the lowest save % in the entire league iirc. 

It might end up being a be careful what you wish for moment, but I do think it is best for all if he moves on.  I wonder if we have made him a contract offer ? It was widely reported he was our top earner and even rumoured to be on circa £4k per week. If it is true that money could be better invested in a couple of players. 

Rumour ofc but I understand we've offered him a reduced deal. Which on one hand is fair but I'd prefer we try elsewhere.

I forget who first coined the phrase but Kelly basically performs with the team. In good spells he's good, in poor spells he's poor.

But while you can live with that to an extent with an outfielder, you want a goalie who saves and inspires you precisely when things are bad. I always love paraphrasing Clough that the two most valuable players in the team are the guy who scores the goals and the guy who keeps them out. I'd happily have our GK being our highest earner next season but it shouldn't be Kelly.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

But while you can live with that to an extent with an outfielder, you want a goalie who saves and inspires you precisely when things are bad. 

Honestly I just want competence at the stuff you're meant to do, over 'inspirational'. It's why I loved Gillespie, because his 'spectacular' moments were relatively limited compared to Kelly, probably?

But in a very Roy Keane way 'doing his job' he was exceptional at.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Rumour ofc but I understand we've offered him a reduced deal. Which on one hand is fair but I'd prefer we try elsewhere.

I'm not sure there should be any great surprise in that.

For better or worse, Kelly is currently our captain and if nothing else has been entirely present over the course of his contracts with the club (loan and permanent). I don't think there was ever a chance that we wouldn't speak to him/offer him a new deal and just bin him off.

As it stands he has 149 appearances for us, which counts for something when you consider the context of him having arrived at the club in the Carson/Archer/Chapman season and the litany of injuries for Carson (which wasn't helped by Robinson rushing him back).

28 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Honestly I just want competence at the stuff you're meant to do, over 'inspirational'. It's why I loved Gillespie, because his 'spectacular' moments were relatively limited compared to Kelly, probably?

But in a very Roy Keane way 'doing his job' he was exceptional at.

I'd definitely settle for competence but would always aspire to have the next Sieb Dykstra bawling out John Philliben.

Interesting one in the inbox for me this morning as I've never purchased a Motherwell ticket or consented to any marketing emails. 

Not sure what the difference the fans make if they make a loss a defeat.

image.png.bbda25b1603660d300dbe6a677038f15.png

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Interesting one in the inbox for me this morning as I've never purchased a Motherwell ticket or consented to any marketing emails. 

The number of times we've been told over the years that they're definitely sorting out their marketing/email database this time, it's kind of scary how many folk still get things they shouldn't, and don't get things they should. I know some of it is down to people not telling the club when they change their email address, and some of it is down to the data being sourced from different places (e..g. Ticketmaster for ticket sales, if that's who we're still using). But given the relatively small number of people we're trying to keep track of here, it shouldn't be that hard.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aberdeen or Hibs have offered Kelly something. 

I got one email because I recently bought a single ticket for my wife and another email because my ‘free’ juvenile ticket has changed personnel over the years.  All these contacts have used my email address even if they were through different accounts.  The club is trawling its database to pick up the slack on anyone who may be interested or have once been interested.  Not sure targeting opposition fans will bear much fruit.