Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

The setup and what players were asked to do was so much better last night. Add that to the players actually putting in a tackle and running themselves into the ground and it was a good evening in the most part. 

- Casey and Butcher have made a big difference. Solid football players. Probably a shame just a little late for Hammell 

- Playing a back 3 with two quick wing backs (i.e. not McGinn or SOD) who are instructed to come in and support midfield and defence when needed really helped. 

- Balance of midfield was good and we actually saw all 3 take turns moving forward and make forward passes. Two great passes from Goss and Spittal which were possible due to good runs from KVV and Johnson. Still want to see Butcher in there once possible.

- Top two did what they  needed to do supported by midfield who could move forward because defence were supporting them. Great and smart finish from KVV. Obika eventually came into it and started winning balls.

It wasn't 90 mins of brilliant play but it was organised and strong. 65 mins on I thought we could have freshened things. But it worked.

Edited by eliphas

Ex-St Johnstone and Kilmarnock manager Tommy Wright has emerged as a leading contender for the Motherwell job. (Scottish Sun)

Former Dundee United and Hibs boss Jack Ross is one of three managers Motherwell will speak with about replacing Steven Hammell, while Tommy Wright is not under consideration. (Scottish Sun)

15 minutes ago, ropy said:

Ex-St Johnstone and Kilmarnock manager Tommy Wright has emerged as a leading contender for the Motherwell job. (Scottish Sun)

Former Dundee United and Hibs boss Jack Ross is one of three managers Motherwell will speak with about replacing Steven Hammell, while Tommy Wright is not under consideration. (Scottish Sun)

Throw enough shit at a wall, eh.

7 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm starting to become a bit of a Kettlewell stan. If he doesn't get the job I'm giving the next guy 45 minutes before I start demanding he's reinstated. 

Same here.

For the first time in years I've actually listened to a pre and post match interview.

9 hours ago, rowsdower said:

We've learned our lesson about "performances over results" right?

There's a time and a place for both. I'd still rather take finishing in the bottom half after a fun-to-watch season, than eye-bleeding our way to 5th or 6th a la Graham Alexander. But it's not like we were playing nice stuff and losing under Stevie Hammell, we were mince and losing. Hence we no longer have much choice for the rest of the season.

Edited by Gallus Numpty

28 minutes ago, santheman said:

For the first time in years I've actually listened to a pre and post match interview.

Me too.  Though I do fear he'd get blown away by a sharp gust of wind, he's very 'slight' isn't he?   About the only chap I'd feel confident of taking on in a prolonged bout of fisticuffs

(After last night's result, I would rather give him a hug, but that might break bits of him too, so I won't)

It's good to be feeling optimistic again (even slightly) today, but let's face it - we've been here before.   Hammy managed to get some good results out of a team playing the most ugly football known to man, but it didn't last very long did it?   New Manager Bounce is a real thing, it seems.  We'll only get a chance to see if he's the real deal if we give him quite a few games.   There's no time for that though, and the 'process' seems to be going full steam ahead.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Considering The Thread™ has been saying a back 3 suits this squad for about a year now I think this proves that, collectively, we're tactically genius. 

I don't necessarily want to dunk on Hammell given he's out the door so it's a moot point but he had the same players available on Saturday as won that game last night yet managed to end up with McGinn at LB, Spittal as a #6, KVV out wide before having to make a pile of subs.

We've had actual months of players being either played out of position or being asked to play roles that didn't suit their strengths. We had a shape that patently didn't work and was exposing our weaknesses but kept doubling down on it then wondering what went wrong.

I'm not touting Kettlewell for the job but at the very least he seems to understand the assignment. He said it himself "find a short-term fix" based on the players we've got available. Which is nice.

Last night we seem to have given the players simple, clear instructions: "win your battles" and then told them "this is what you're good at, go out and do *that*".

We had a RWB playing RWB, a LWB playing LWB, Cornelius giving legs in the middle of the park, Spittal and Goss being allowed to create etc. 

Despite the injuries it's probably the most balanced looking XI we've seen in weeks. So I suppose that's a start.

Edited by capt_oats

42 minutes ago, Desp said:

All three on the shortlist have actually been named on this thread.  I've certainly got my favourite who I'd like to see get it, and it's not Jack Ross.

Have they been mentioned in posts other than the lists of odds for 20 speculative names?

56 minutes ago, Pettigrew said:

Folk booing him on in the 91sr minute was a bit much. 

Yeh, we're winning our first game in ages so what is going through folk's head to boo anyone, let alone a 2 minute cameo to waste a bit of time? (I know the answer is "not much" in the case of these folk) Plus the guy's confidence is obviously shattered and to me has looked a little broken physically too. Some folk really need to get a life. 

Just saw on Obika's twitter that that was his first 90 mins since August and tbf he looked like a player coming back to fitness. Was a few "pre-seasony" touches in there, particularly in the first 60 mins or so. Will retract my comment that he's mince and will give him the benefit of the doubt, that was a decent enough shift given his circumstances.