Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Edit to drop this in....

Cracking goal by the young boy Scott to be fair, he seems to be really coming onto a game at the minute. 

Another two goals for Turnbull as well, surely must be a due start in the first team? Maybe not in the next few games mind but certainly post split with a view to getting him in the first team next season. 

20 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Cracking goal by the young boy Scott to be fair, he seems to be really coming onto a game at the minute. 

Another two goals for Turnbull as well, surely must be a due start in the first team? Maybe not in the next few games mind but certainly post split with a view to getting him in the first team next season. 

Absolutely.

Listening to Craigan's post-match (I was genuinely curious as to what he made of it) he pretty much nails it. They were well in the game 1st half but you have to look at the defence. He's not wrong when he says that the 4 goals Dundee scored from the 4 shots they had at goal and the crosses they put into the box. Robinson was a bit late getting in so by the time he and Hinchcliffe took their seats with Craigan in the stand we were 2-0 down.

Middle to front wasn't really a problem. Scott was a bit isolated first half, Hastie was fine and Turnbull and Brown were alright in the middle of the park. It was just a game where the defence looked completely lost. Any time Dundee went up the park they just walked through our defence they were an absolute shambles. It wasn't a huge surprise to see that Krones and Bowers had been hooked at HT.

I've said it on here a lot but I'm a massive fan of David Turnbull, I really hope he gets minutes in the games after the split as he's got genuine potential (same goes for Jake Hastie but he's at Airdrie til the end of the season).

Barring a minor (major!)  miracle, we are in the bottom 6 and so I would be really disappointed if we didn't use the last 5 league games to give a couple of young players a start in each one. The Moneyball part of our business plan is working well I think it's fair to say - but the area where we need to step it up is bringing through our own players and there really is no substitute to giving players a go in the first team to that end. 

There have been lots of examples over the years of players (eg, Hammell, Reynolds, Hall, Campbell) dropping into the first team due to injuries, etc and surprising most by looking totally ready for it. I'd rather we gave our most promising players a start and see how they cope rather than a 10 min cameo at the end of a game...

I never get a chance to see the '20s, so I'll defer to those that do when suggesting the ones that are ready for a chance....

28 minutes ago, Swello said:

Barring a minor (major!)  miracle, we are in the bottom 6 and so I would be really disappointed if we didn't use the last 5 league games to give a couple of young players a start in each one. The Moneyball part of our business plan is working well I think it's fair to say - but the area where we need to step it up is bringing through our own players and there really is no substitute to giving players a go in the first team to that end. 

There have been lots of examples over the years of players (eg, Hammell, Reynolds, Hall, Campbell) dropping into the first team due to injuries, etc and surprising most by looking totally ready for it. I'd rather we gave our most promising players a start and see how they cope rather than a 10 min cameo at the end of a game...

I never get a chance to see the '20s, so I'll defer to those that do when suggesting the ones that are ready for a chance....

I'd rather see us start the youth players and see how they get on. This subbing them on with <10 minutes to go is absolutely pointless as they'll not even get a touch of the ball. 

31 minutes ago, Swello said:

Aye, Craigan touched on that in his interview yesterday where he's talking about players in the team yesterday who they thought were close to the first team but perhaps based on yesterday aren't as close as they thought. He's not coming straight out and naming names but for the most part I'd think he's talking about Barry Maguire. It's not a difficult leap to take since Craigan was sat about 10 rows in front of me in an empty stadium and for the most part it was Maguire that was getting grief from him after the goals (but stayed on for the 2nd half).

Suffice to say his disappointment in Maguire was evident.

I suppose that's the balance, we all want to get our 20s playing (and we have players who are definitely capable of making that step up) but if the manager pitches up and watches us ship 5 to a Dundee side who aren't even having to try then it makes the decision to start them in to the first team that bit harder to justify.

Edited by capt_oats

Guy's rumour mill from Paisley is that 22 goal Gavin Reilly has signed a pre-contract with you. Gavin works his socks off for 90min however I have had doubts wether he can make the step up goal wise. He has scored 12 goals for us in the league the rest has been in the cup you have to remember we are an all out attacking team in the championship 12 goals to me is not great. As I wrote this is a player who will always give 100%  would obviously like to see him stay to see what he can do at a highier level but we all know sometimes it's not possible when bigger fish come along.   

Edited by Demented Zebra

Louis Moult is still our top scorer in the league this season with 8 goals, the last of which was scored back in November.

If he’s energetic, pacy and works hard while chipping in with a few goals then he’d actually fit right in. 

Reilly's an interesting one as he seemed to struggle at Hearts though 42 goals in 133 games for QOS isn't too bad a return given he was 17 when he made his debut.

It's clear that Robinson's regretting missing out on the striker in during the January window (whether or not it was McCartan at Bradford who knows) and I'd imagine that if we're looking at Reilly then it'd be as back-up/rotation rather than us looking to build a team around him especially as Scott, Agyman and Semple are probably a season or two away from being seriously considered for the first team.

At 24 he's probably the right sort of age for a player we'd be looking to bring in and every window there have been shouts of "why don't we sign from the Scottish leagues?".

Given Bowman, Newell and Petravicius are all out of contract in the summer then there are probably going to be spaces going if Robinson decides to clear the decks and he's got an idea of what type of forwards he thinks he needs and how many he thinks we need. In that respect I keep going back to his interviews from December where he was critical the forward options.

Anyway, here are Reilly's goals for QOS:

Edited by capt_oats

58 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Louis Moult is still our top scorer in the league this season with 8 goals, the last of which was scored back in November.

If he’s energetic, pacy and works hard while chipping in with a few goals then he’d actually fit right in. 

That's Gavin for you. 

11 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Guy's rumour mill from Paisley is that 22 goal Gavin Reilly has signed a pre-contract with you. Gavin works his socks off for 90min however I have had doubts wether he can make the step up goal wise. He has scored 12 goals for us in the league the rest has been in the cup you have to remember we are an all out attacking team in the championship 12 goals to me is not great. As I wrote this is a player who will always give 100%  would obviously like to see him stay to see what he can do at a highier level but we all know sometimes it's not possible when bigger fish come along.   

I'm finding it amusing seeing your fans reaction to this rumour. A few people saying it's a huge error on his part because he'd achieve more at St Mirren under Jack Ross than at Motherwell. 

I understand Ross has performed a miracle at St Mirren, but there's a few folk who seem to have completely lost perspective and are talking about top six next season. That seems laughable considering the way the top flight is just now. 

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm finding it amusing seeing your fans reaction to this rumour. A few people saying it's a huge error on his part because he'd achieve more at St Mirren under Jack Ross than at Motherwell. 

I understand Ross has performed a miracle at St Mirren, but there's a few folk who seem to have completely lost perspective and are talking about top six next season. That seems laughable considering the way the top flight is just now. 

Have you only just discovered St Mirren fans?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

To be fair, my first thought was "St Mirren will be in the Prem next season, why wouldn't he stay with them?" - but I guess Motherwell would be a safer bet as far as that goes, having been in the league for 30+ years (#TB4 :) ) and being in a pretty stable state at present. I would also guess - given it is the most important thing to players & agents - that we will offer better wages than St Mirren given the money we've brought in this year...

Anyway - a rumour for now - but it's interesting that we're looking in the Championship, where there has been some criticism of the club for not doing so...

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Survival in the top league in our first season should be looked upon as success the difference between championship and premiership is huge.  Will Jack Ross be with Saints next season I hope so but his CV is looking good so bigger fish will come calling soon. Gavin has pace defenders have to work hard to keep up with him  he is not a John Sutton type player your fans will take to Gavin if the rumour is true. 

1 hour ago, Swello said:

To be fair, my first thought was "St Mirren will be in the Prem next season, why wouldn't he stay with them?" - but I guess Motherwell would be a safer bet as far as that goes, having been in the league for 30+ years (#TB4 :) ) and being in a pretty stable state at present. I would also guess - given it is the most important thing to players & agents - that we will offer better wages than St Mirren given the money we've brought in this year...

Anyway - a rumour for now - but it's interesting that we're looking in the Championship, where there has been some criticism of the club for not doing so...

Another thing is it's the 2nd pre-contract we've been rumoured to be looking at and both have been Scottish based players (O'Hara at Dundee having been the other one).

Obviously last season our situation was far more precarious and we weren't "safe" until after the Killie win on the 2nd last game of the season but it's interesting that we're looking at pre-contracts. I've maybe not been paying attention in recent years or maybe it's just the case that info hasn't leaked out but I don't really remember us having been quoted as going down that route often.

Clearly last summer saw a huge turnover in players and the squad underwent a massive overhaul but the season prior we finished Top 6 and it was 23rd June before we announced Heneghan, Tait and Blyth (on top of the contract extensions for Samson, Craig Moore and David Ferguson). By the same date last summer Robinson already had 6 players signed up (plus Charles Dunne unofficially signed, the left sided defender we couldn't announce until we'd had a look at his fitness) and everyone away to Carton House for pre-season.

I wouldn't imagine that the squad will see anywhere near the same sort of work on it but if the rumours are true then suggest that we're looking at getting bodies in early again.

Edit: 100% just an excuse to post this but the last striker we signed from St Mirren turned out alright...

Edited by capt_oats

17 minutes ago, ONeils40yarder said:

Higdon - easily one of my favourite players to ever play for Motherwell, absolutely tremendous

Agree with this.  Higdon > Moult.