Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

It might just be my individual situation (40 odd year old, been going to FP for 30+ years, young family taking up more of my time).

But yesterday was really a prime example of how I am beginning to struggle with watching us. Probably should be happy getting a point from that but again come away with a very 'meh' feeling.  Aware of the various reasons but the lack of quality throughout and lack of tactical nous/plan B/managerial stubborness is wrestling me down I have to say. 

I'm not chucking my season ticket or anything but I'm finding increasingly easy to miss games for other events etc. 

Really really hope next season Kettlewell can build an identity that is pleasant to watch, has some sort of other system that doesn't rely on wingbacks and can get more MFC academy players into the team 

Agree with you on this . I think the key to this being worn down feeling is chucking a goal in on the half hour mark every home game. We’ve spent most of the season being behind in home games. 

I genuinely believe theres a fag paper between ourselves and St Mirren Dundee etc in terms of squad quality. But what happens when we go a goal down is that the opposition can slow things down, break up play, buy fouls knowing they are ahead. Saints goalie channelling peak Tomas Cerny time wasting  yesterday being a case in point.

If we ever start scoring first in games then that frustrating narrative that we have been watching gets flipped on its head and we might all start enjoying it a bit more.

We've scored and conceded the exact same amount as Hibs but are 5 points off them in the table which I think is pretty revealing. They've taken scuddings off the Old Firm which we haven't but they've probably been a bit more consistent against everybody else.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We've scored and conceded the exact same amount as Hibs but are 5 points off them in the table which I think is pretty revealing. They've taken scuddings off the Old Firm which we haven't but they've probably been a bit more consistent against everybody else.

Yeah and having 6 extra clean sheets helps.

I don't think it needs a particularly complex analysis. We're the joint third highest scorers and that's thanks to Kettlewell, we've got the fifth worse defence and that's also thanks to Kettlewell. 

He tried to rectify that problem in the January window by replacing the wide defensive players, which made sense given we had the same personnel through the centre of defence that were solid last season. It's transpired that the problem is in fact, the players through the centre. His plan could have worked, but it didn't. 

I get that the jury is out, but assuming nothing mental happens between now and the end of the season I'm content with him still being in charge next season. 

I found it interesting that the two young boys who were thrown on against Aberdeen didn’t make the squad yesterday.  Also when O’Donnell went off we had the option of bringing on Luca Ross who would have played wide right and been a more attacking choice but we opted for Blaney and yet another defensive shuffle.

Edited by ropy

7 hours ago, Eliphas Pettigrew said:

Maybe Derek Adams wasn't too far off the mark with his assessment of Scottish football 😲

Siding with Derek Adams is it?

Taking Notes Ryan The Office GIF by MOODMAN

12 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

I do think Kettlewell, in general, waits a bit too long to try and win games by making in-game changes.

Someone mentioned Miller coming on yesterday so I looked at the bench and he was in full kit, but sitting down and looking at the ipad/clipboard. Five minutes later he was putting his training top back on and sitting in the back row. 5mins after that he actually came on. Really wish I knew what is deemed so important that players must be told in the last 2mins before they come on...that they've apparently not been told in the week or two beforehand?

11 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

The other red flag is our clean sheets, we're worst in the league and managed 10% (3 games), next worst, Aberdeen/Livi on 16%/17% (5 games). The two teams we were looking to overhaul for top 6 are on approx. 30% (9 games and 3x better) and one of those has Ricki Lamie as a mainstay.

Lamie hasn’t played much for us. A combination of injury and the form of other players has meant he’s not played a lot. 

On 31/03/2024 at 13:48, Stevie Kirk said:

Agree with you on this . I think the key to this being worn down feeling is chucking a goal in on the half hour mark every home game. We’ve spent most of the season being behind in home games. 

I genuinely believe theres a fag paper between ourselves and St Mirren Dundee etc in terms of squad quality. But what happens when we go a goal down is that the opposition can slow things down, break up play, buy fouls knowing they are ahead. Saints goalie channelling peak Tomas Cerny time wasting  yesterday being a case in point.

If we ever start scoring first in games then that frustrating narrative that we have been watching gets flipped on its head and we might all start enjoying it a bit more.

I made the same point at the game on Saturday - has there been a season where we've spent so long watching the opposition keeper doing the slow goal kick routine? On paper, we've been at lots of entertaining games, we've scored plenty and we've rescued a lot of points - but it just hasn't really felt like it.

I'd be happy with any rule change that nullifies time wasting.

- 5 second restart rule,

-suspend slow ballboys from school

-Subs have to race the ref off the pitch and if the ref wins, they get sent off.

- doctors note from the other teams doctor for injuries, or a suspension.

- you get sent off, the other players are allowed to batter you until you're off the pitch.

On 31/03/2024 at 13:48, Stevie Kirk said:

Yeah that would be a different lens on it. As would not conceding horrendous defensive goals every game as well. 

46 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I'd be happy with any rule change that nullifies time wasting.

-Subs have to race the ref off the pitch and if the ref wins, they get sent off.

For a bit of jeapordy the opposition coach should be able to use some of the equipment from the Gladiator’s Gauntlet event to prevent one or other winning this race.

We are putting too much effort into non crucial goals.  Does a non crucial goal become crucial if we score another which is in itself an equaliser, which would be crucial?