Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Shite game we were Horrific that first half. McGinley looks rapid pity he can't play football though. Good job they moved Donnelly into the middle was shockingly bad in center of defence

You were.  I mentioned over on the Sevco thread that you looked like a team who'd not been together since lockdown.

Better second half though.

55 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

You were.  I mentioned over on the Sevco thread that you looked like a team who'd not been together since lockdown.

You're not that far off tbh.

Of the starting XI: Carson didn't play a minute of competitive football last season, Lamie, McGinley and White are only just in the door, we've been playing Donnelly at centre half in Gallagher's absence and Long has missed most of our pre-season.

Our first bounce game against Utd we switched the entire starting XI after 45 and the Killie game most of the subs were at H/T and 60 mins - so while there's no excuse for being unrelentingly shite the defence that started the game hasn't had much time on the park together. If it looked like they'd barely played together it's because they have barely played together.

An absolute bodying was always on the cards tonight - tbh having  a pre-season schedule against both Rangers and Celtic is a massive change from our usual bouncing around scudding League of Ireland and non-league English sides.

Edited by capt_oats

5 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

I see your friendly at Ibrox is off tonight as Motherwell forgot to submit Covid testing results... resheduled for tomorrow night apparently.

I enjoyed how wrong and made up this was.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Did Grimshaw play in the middle of the park before he went to right back?

In his career? or just tonight?

I know bounce games mean f**k all but I really don't like the Lamie - Donnelly combo. Donnelly seems to have played CB in every game despite a good season at DM/CM. Lamie i wasn't impressed with and the boy who played LB looked hopeless on the ball and when we lost the ball.

Hastie had a Seedorf-esque first touch in the first half anaw.

32 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

You're not that far off tbh.

Of the starting XI: Carson didn't play a minute of competitive football last season, Lamie, McGinley and White are only just in the door, we've been playing Donnelly at centre half in Gallagher's absence and Long has missed most of our pre-season.

Our first bounce game against Utd we switched the entire starting XI after 45 and the Killie game most of the subs were at H/T and 60 mins - so while there's no excuse for being unrelentingly shite the defence that started the game hasn't had much time on the park together. If it looked like they'd barely played together it's because they have barely played together.

An absolute bodying was always on the cards tonight - tbh having  a pre-season schedule against both Rangers and Celtic is a massive change from our usual bouncing around scudding League of Ireland and non-league English sides.

Just what the Gaffer has said post match interview. An honest assessment but clearly even at this stage Rangers were match sharper and fitter because they have played more and tougher games / opposition. 

If we play like that in the games in August in the league then I will worry but not now and not tonight. 

Edited by welldaft

1 hour ago, Geedub-MFC said:

Stream was perfect for me until I turned it off at half time. Hopefully whoever got my slot enjoyed seeing us getting pumped less in the second half.

That would be me. So only a 1-0 defeat imho. Also should have scored a couple at least ourselves 2nd half. 

On a more serious note they need to sort out the streaming service. I managed to get on at KO and then it blew up and despite repeated attempts first half thankfully I could not get on. 

Seems like a capacity issue but we are hardly Barcelona. If we cannot get several 000 on what hope is there. 

I hope Motherwell come out and address that and ensure it is working for the league games or I will be a lot more angry than I was tonight. 

40 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I enjoyed how wrong and made up this was.

Almost as enjoyable as the result which you couldnae make up.

Still I bet you wish it was tomorrow night....

20200722_174847.jpg.4fbd17afa77fe0a60ac33cdd0dea63d2.jpg

1 minute ago, C4mmy31 said:

Almost as enjoyable as the result which you couldnae make up.

Still I bet you wish it was tomorrow night....

20200722_174847.jpg.4fbd17afa77fe0a60ac33cdd0dea63d2.jpg

Not really it was a pre season game for a start. It was at Ibrox. Against a better team.

Does this mean we canny win preseason any more?

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Not really it was a pre season game for a start. It was at Ibrox. Against a better team.

Does this mean we canny win preseason any more?

I sat down to watch it expecting you guys to give them a good game or better still pump them.

I only watched till it was 3-0 then had to turn it over 😪

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Lamie, OG aside, looked out of place.  This surprised  me as I rated him at Livi.

Takes time though?

33 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Should've scored but decided to try and shift it onto his right foot instead of burying it with his left. Looked alright in patches I thought.

That's encouraging then. He was pretty ineffectual in the St Mirren and Hearts cameos (for completely expected reasons obvos) so even the fact he's getting into shooting positions again is good to hear.

Must be scunnered there's no Balon d'Or up for grabs this year though.

9 hours ago, welldaft said:

On a more serious note they need to sort out the streaming service. I managed to get on at KO and then it blew up and despite repeated attempts first half thankfully I could not get on. 

Seems like a capacity issue but we are hardly Barcelona. If we cannot get several 000 on what hope is there.

Is the same company not providing 11/12 of the teams streams for coming season?

35 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Is the same company not providing 11/12 of the teams streams for coming season?

Yep, so at least they should be be well aware from their logs and analytics (and email complaints) that something went pretty badly wrong last night, and get it fixed.

Despite the result I thought it was a decent run out. It felt far more like a competitive game than just a friendly. I feel like with the season being so close and no League Cup both sides took it fairly seriously.

I do think we really need to get as many games as possibly prior to the start of August because some of the boys looked miles off it, to be expected when they have apparently only had 45 minutes each i suppose.

I love a snap judgement as much as the next guy but I'll leave mines until atleast the Autumn. Initial thoughts on the new signings would be that they all looked a bit technically limited but lets see how they grow.

On the whole defensive shambles in the 1st half. It's hardly news to anyone that has watched us that Liam Donnelly isn't much of a centre back, I don't think the partnership with Lamie that started the game is reflective of who is actually going to play this season. Probably more to get certain boys minutes at this stage. I actually thought McGinley was signed to be a centre back with Gallagher.

I still think we could be doing with another attacking option, probably another winger. I wouldn't be adverse to us getting another loan in if money dictates.

Edited by Luke92

It's no surprise but it just goes to show we have our own share of "I'm not racist but..." types. Sort of person you see at the away games and hope they don't sit near you.

Seen square goes and all sorts being offered.

Take-aways from last night.

Gallagher is indespensable, not just in terms of his defending. His distribution from the back sets us up going forward.

Donnelly is a DMC, not a Centre-Half

Turnbull was encouraging - Was fairly quiet, but could see him dropping to collect the ball, looking to create etc

Pleasantly surprised with Hastie - looks as if he'll be strong for us.

O'Hara will do a job

Need to get out and stop crosses - been saying that for decades though.

Some silly mistakes and comical defending, but we'll put that down to sharpness.

Reckon Watt, Long and White will be a decent enough front 3.

Edited by Richie