Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Mayweather is sitting in a strip club somewhere just now telling Antonio Brown and Kanye that Amir Khan said he could beat him.

Kell was superb. He would have beaten Khan anytime in the last decade. The rounds against GGG and Spence when his eye socket wasn't broken showed how good he was but he didn't have the career he could have had.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Mayweather is sitting in a strip club somewhere just now telling Antonio Brown and Kanye that Amir Khan said he could beat him.

Kell was superb. He would have beaten Khan anytime in the last decade. The rounds against GGG and Spence when his eye socket wasn't broken showed how good he was but he didn't have the career he could have had.

Totally agree. I don't think it mattered when these two fought the outcome was always going to be Brook by stoppage.

Brook probably has another big fight in him going up to fight Eubank JR for the bucks on PPV but certainly won't be anywhere near a world title again.

Just now, Detournement said:

Brook's not the brightest but he's not daft enough to fight a guy who just had a dominant win at middleweight (again).

I think he will take that fight in a heartbeat if the money is huge. Eubank is no prime Golovkin and I don't rate him much at all despite the obvious weight advantage he will have I think that's a decent fight for both as neither are world level (Kell over the hill, Eubank just not good enough).

1 minute ago, Neilly said:

I think he will take that fight in a heartbeat if the money is huge. Eubank is no prime Golovkin and I don't rate him much at all despite the obvious weight advantage he will have I think that's a decent fight for both as neither are world level (Kell over the hill, Eubank just not good enough).

If he does....

Khan just couldn’t recover at all from getting rocked in that first round. From that point onwards you could visibly see Khan didn’t have strong legs underneath him, his punches were coming from the torso and not from the legs. 

Rewound back there just to see that 1st round combo again from Brook, and it actually came from a straight backhand that fell short, which Khan tried to counter at the same time as Brook moved forward with a very stiff jab. It’s actually very clever from Brook as the majority of boxers who fight orthodox will usually set up a combo with their jab hand and finish with the right, purely because it’s easier/more natural for them to do that in that stance.

Khan was naive to think that Brook falling short with the right was the time to try and counter, and Brook showed some genuinely world class skill to just slip to his left and throw that extra punch that Khan wasn’t expecting. Im sure Khan had watched a lot of previous Kell Brook fights in the build up, and I’m also sure that extra left hand after falling short is something that they would have noticed and worked on in the gym over and over again. Khans instructions after he made Brook fall short would have been to pull back and change the angle, not sit in range and try and throw something back. Khans never been known as a particularly clever fighter though, and after he got tagged it was only a matter of when and not if the fight would be stopped.  

Edited by IrishBhoy

Watching Amir Khan take a sustained beating, is simply glorious. 
Brook had him rocked in every round, and it was only a matter of time from that first wobble in the first round. 
Khan was missing with almost everything and even when he did connect, Brook just walked through him. 
Thoroughly enjoyable fight, that I’ll almost certainly watch again. 

3 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Khan was naive to think that Brook falling short with the right was the time to try and counter, and Brook showed some genuinely world class skill to just slip to his left and throw that extra punch that Khan wasn’t expecting

Khan was stupid to fight at that tempo in the first round. He was bouncing during the instructions and obviously far too hyped up.

Khan was well beaten. Brook controlled the fight other than the second round. He should stop now. Eubank would beat him I think but Eubank is a fud who talks like he’s in the class of Hagler when he’s thirty fights in and won f**k all.

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

A rewatch without the frantic nervousness of occasion will show an absolute battering tbh.

I’ve just literally rewound it to the first bell and watched it again. Khan was having the better of the 1st round until he got rocked, and had a bit of success in rounds 2 and 3 with both ending in Brook landing clean and Khan trying to move and hold until the bell. I think Khan had a bit of success in every round to be fair, but nothing that came close to really troubling Brook. When Brook had a bit of success though, he was landing clean and able to put punches together. It was definitely stopped slightly early but certainly no complaints, Khan was either going to take many more rounds of punishment or more likely end up sprawled on the canvas. 

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't know how old you are but what you can do at 27 and 35 are miles and miles apart.

He will know himself he's not the same fighter but money talks. He's a natural 154 fighter really now so going to 160 again to fight a non world class operator like Eubank will hardly be something he will turn down if he wants to continue fighting.

Eubank was schooled by a shot to bits George Groves lest we forget.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Khan was stupid to fight at that tempo in the first round. He was bouncing during the instructions and obviously far too hyped up.

I can’t say I really noted that as anything out of the ordinary for Khan, I think he will have been told before that fight not to trade in range but use his footwork and hand speed to be able to lead Brook in, move out of range when he misses and change the angle coming back in. It’s actually a combo you see a lot of amateur fighters struggle with, as most are programmed into ‘one-two’, ‘double jab straight right’ or ‘jab to the body right over the top’. They don’t expect a fighter to miss with a one two and throw that final jab as they are trying to counter, and that was the exact trap Khan fell into tonight.

I was watching on ESPN+ and Timothy Bradley said 10 or 20 seconds before the big punch in the first round that Khan was wasting too much energy. I don't think Khan ever had any confidence he could beat Brook, he took fights like Canelo and Crawford he was never winning rather than risking fighting Brook.

I got ESPN+ for $7 on a VPN which also includes the Taylor fight next week. Timothy Bradley was on Zoom from his house and was sitting in front of a painting of him punching Pacquiao which was amusing.