Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Robert Thomson has confirmed, and has done for about a week, that we won't be signing anyone else. Think it was Kyle who's been badgering him about it.

Badgering. :lol: 

So what we thinking of our window overall then? For me, Scougall and O'Halloran are already proving themselves to be two of the best signings we've made under Tommy, though perhaps O'Halloran less so because it's just a short loan on the face of it.

Tanser comes across as a jobber which isn't great considering Easton has been a bit shite so far, would be good to have competition for him. End of the day it's back up left back though.

We expected and were promised a jewel up front and ended up with Denny Johnstone and a youngster who looks like he has a reasonable chance of making a breakthrough. The second part of that is only disappointing because of the first part. Johnstone actually seems an alright player and probably an upgrade on Kane and Cummins, but loaning someone who failed at Colchester doesn't really fit the jewel narrative.

Not particularly disappointed with any out goings (so far) unless you include Swanson I guess. Everyone's had their say on the Millar situation and I'm bored to death of reading about it to be honest. Fwiw I'll be sad to see him go, but I can see why he's being pushed out too.

Overall I'd give our window about a 7.5 or 8/10, and if Johnstone scores more than Kane/Cummins put together got last year (which would mean more than a massive ten) it would probably be the best window Tommy has had here.

Getting Scougall and O'Halloran has kind of glossed over the fact that a lot of fans were saying a striker was the main priority back at the start of the close-season. I appreciate that O'Halloran can play up top and getting him arguably became the priority when he was available but we certainly haven't added the clear second choice, or proper competition for MacLean, that I was hoping for. Only time will tell with Johnstone but the minimum requirement is that he matches what Kane contributed last season.

My suspicion with Tanser is that TW hadn't even contemplated needing a left back but was left with a situation where he needed someone before the European deadline. Needs must signing.

Overall, happy that with Scougall and O'Halloran that we've managed to replace Swanson but disappointed we couldn't add a more established striker. Can only hope we don't live to regret not retaining Scobbie.

I don't think Tanser's great, but Tam Scobbie was awful at left back. He had some merit in covering the middle of defence, but really he was mince at full back. I keep forgetting we've signed Denny Johnstone, which probably tells me all i need to know. If he can get double figures in goals then he's done well in my books. I don't mind not having a 20 goal a season man, ala May, Moult, Rooney, etc, if you've got 2/3 guys getting 8-10 each.

In my opinion the quality is of the starting eleven is better, strength in depth is worse.

For the first time in a while, the loss of a few players to injury/suspension could seriously derail us. As the Unofficial Twitter said, we'll be reliant on younger players this year, we need to hope they can step up when needed.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Any idea why it's not a move to Morton that's happening?

Seems the perfect move where he'd get the first team football we all want him having, and it's at a club he hold close. They look like they need a proper central midfielder capable of recycling possession aswell, from the outside anyway.

Apparently the budget is still there for us to add players but Duffy has said we have enough central midfielders and didn't want him, despite Millar being willing sign.

The idea that we don't need more options and that Chris Millar wouldn't considerably improve our team is baffling to me, considering that we've been using Gary fucking Harkins as a deep-lying playmaker and we're an injury to Andy Murdoch away from our only defensive midfielder being a 21 year old released by Celtic in the summer. Even if he was to only manage about 20 games over the course of the season due to fitness, he would still make a massive difference for us.

Apparently the budget is still there for us to add players but Duffy has said we have enough central midfielders and didn't want him, despite Millar being willing sign.
The idea that we don't need more options and that Chris Millar wouldn't considerably improve our team is baffling to me, considering that we've been using Gary fucking Harkins as a deep-lying playmaker and we're an injury to Andy Murdoch away from our only defensive midfielder being a 21 year old released by Celtic in the summer. Even if he was to only manage about 20 games over the course of the season due to fitness, he would still make a massive difference for us.

Cheers. Seems a shame he'll spend one of his final seasons sitting in the stands/on the bench tbh

In my opinion the quality is of the starting eleven is better, strength in depth is worse.

For the first time in a while, the loss of a few players to injury/suspension could seriously derail us. As the Unofficial Twitter said, we'll be reliant on younger players this year, we need to hope they can step up when needed.

Disagree completely on the back up. Only scobbie really gone and Gordon and Gilchrist more then capable for centre half. Left back well yeah tanser been unimpressive to date. Right back comrie shown he more than capable. Zander also very capable back up. In midfield alston, millar, thomson all decent options in the middle and wide. Up top johnstone and cummins won't be any worse than kane and cummins. Maybe just maybe Tommy knows it's time to trust these kids and hence the likes of Watson And millar are deemed expensive for the return both have given in the past 12 months.

Agree with the point generally that the back up options all look fine, but must admit to being a bit more worried about them if a few of them all have to play together particularly at the back. We essentially have 4 senior defenders over the age of 22 and 4 youth/untested players as back up. That could quite easily go wrong for us - I appreciate that it may not have been possible, but I would have liked to see us retain Watson or Scobbie as a bit of a safety net.

Midfield is much stronger - even with the loss of Swanson - and the strikeforce and goalkeepers are pretty much as we were. The younger players are a year older and wiser, the older ones still look up to the task.

I think that we're slightly better on balance, but a little bit disappointed that we haven't brought in a better option to challenge Macca/Cummins up top.

37 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Pre-season was really good when Harkins looked like a mix between Xavi and Pirlo as Hartley found a new role for him deeper. After one game, teams would learn that they were allowed to close him down and suddenly, we were fucked. 

Disagree completely on the back up. Only scobbie really gone and Gordon and Gilchrist more then capable for centre half. Left back well yeah tanser been unimpressive to date. Right back comrie shown he more than capable. Zander also very capable back up. In midfield alston, millar, thomson all decent options in the middle and wide. Up top johnstone and cummins won't be any worse than kane and cummins. Maybe just maybe Tommy knows it's time to trust these kids and hence the likes of Watson And millar are deemed expensive for the return both have given in the past 12 months.

I dunno. I'll be slated for being harsh but id be more comfortable with Scobbie starting thirty matches than Tanser/Gilchrist/Gordon, same with Watson and Comrie. If Millar continues getting frozen out then Kyle Mclean is out fourth choice CM, which is weaker than before. Last season we started with a low in confidence Cummins and Kane, now we've got a zero confidence Cummins and Johnstone.

Wide areas is the only area I'd argue we're stronger.

Not arguing with the logic of the transfers at all, fwiw, we need to gamble on youth more, but we're definitely weaker, depth wise, to me.