Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Saint DBL said:

19 years ago today Coyle was announced, can anyone remember their initial thoughts? 

I was open to it. We obviously didn't know how it would go but at least you knew it wasn't definitely going to be a disaster.

The best appointments are always going to have a risk attached. Go for the safe option and you invite mundanity.

Within a few weeks he'd signed the centre back pairing (including the captain) from the champions and you knew we were heading back in the right direction.

What id given for an Owen Coyle style appointment now. Hopefully any new potential owner has the P45 signed and ready to be sent to Levein. 

Multiple people saying they’d keep Carey shows me how far the standard has fallen. Possibly one of our better creative outlets this season, but still far below the standard required. Thanks but see you later.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Multiple people saying they’d keep Carey shows me how far the standard has fallen. Possibly one of our better creative outlets this season, but still far below the standard required. Thanks but see you later.

Watching the highlights it was nice to see his now trademark pirouette of rage after, yet again, failing to track a runner for the 2nd.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Yes you’re probably right.

Personally, I guess I’ve lost a lot of faith in the club to identify and attract good players, so sticking with one who's done okayish, compared to others, feels like a safer option than whatever we might sign as a replacement.

Probably pessimistically, I can’t see us going out and signing 10-14 better players than what we have, so getting 5-6 and keeping the better ones out of the current group feels more realistic where we are right now.

This is just such a nothing group of players. 

Matt Smith has 19 caps for Wales. Is it too much to expect a wee bit more from him? 

We've had guys in midfield who didn't get near an international call up for anyone look 10 times the player. 

It never feels right to me that Carey is the 2nd oldest player in our squad.

50 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes you’re probably right.

Personally, I guess I’ve lost a lot of faith in the club to identify and attract good players, so sticking with one who's done okayish, compared to others, feels like a safer option than whatever we might sign as a replacement.

Probably pessimistically, I can’t see us going out and signing 10-14 better players than what we have, so getting 5-6 and keeping the better ones out of the current group feels more realistic where we are right now.

I guess what we all don't know is what Levein really thinks of the squad. Either he is genuine in what he says and really doesn't see what we see as in how poor it is or (and I think more likely), he CAN see what we all see, but is using his experience to know not to lay into them as he has no choice but to rely in what he has to keep us up.

It's not a stretch to think that the second (if it happens at all) that we become safe, he pretty much tells the majority of them they aren't being kept on and does actually sign 10-14 players. Keep in mind that unlike the last 2-3 seasons, we have a coach that has genuine contacts all over the place and you'd have to assume that between him and Gus MacPherson, they already have a list of signing targets for if we stay up and one for if we go down. The unknown is the owner, but you'd imagine discussions will have been had about what, if any, additional funds would be made available. 

Personally, I'd be looking at a change of ownership as an opportunity to bring in a younger more up and coming coach, but I do see that Levein simply cannot and will not tell the current crop how shit they actually are.

11 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I guess what we all don't know is what Levein really thinks of the squad. Either he is genuine in what he says and really doesn't see what we see as in how poor it is or (and I think more likely), he CAN see what we all see, but is using his experience to know not to lay into them as he has no choice but to rely in what he has to keep us up.

It's not a stretch to think that the second (if it happens at all) that we become safe, he pretty much tells the majority of them they aren't being kept on and does actually sign 10-14 players. Keep in mind that unlike the last 2-3 seasons, we have a coach that has genuine contacts all over the place and you'd have to assume that between him and Gus MacPherson, they already have a list of signing targets for if we stay up and one for if we go down. The unknown is the owner, but you'd imagine discussions will have been had about what, if any, additional funds would be made available

Personally, I'd be looking at a change of ownership as an opportunity to bring in a younger more up and coming coach, but I do see that Levein simply cannot and will not tell the current crop how shit they actually are.

Do you think that’s the case? I’d be surprised if we’re that organised to be honest. I think it’ll likely be a case of get the season over with and then take it from there.

County’s win on Sunday not only puts us under pressure, but also means even if we do stay up, it’s likely to take to the last game of the season to confirm. Other teams can pretty much start their preparations for next season now, whereas we’re going to be 5-6 weeks behind. The play-off will hinder things even further should we end up there.

Possibly Levein, having never won anything as a player or coach, has the championship trophy firmly in his sights, but I’m not sure how interested in staying he’d be if we go down. I wonder if we might see Kirk as his own man, meaning we’ll basically have the Brechin City manager in charge.

49 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Do you think that’s the case? I’d be surprised if we’re that organised to be honest. I think it’ll likely be a case of get the season over with and then take it from there.

County’s win on Sunday not only puts us under pressure, but also means even if we do stay up, it’s likely to take to the last game of the season to confirm. Other teams can pretty much start their preparations for next season now, whereas we’re going to be 5-6 weeks behind. The play-off will hinder things even further should we end up there.

Possibly Levein, having never won anything as a player or coach, has the championship trophy firmly in his sights, but I’m not sure how interested in staying he’d be if we go down. I wonder if we might see Kirk as his own man, meaning we’ll basically have the Brechin City manager in charge.

Yeah, I'd be pretty certain that there is rough plans for either eventuality. Some might be more thought through than others, such as actual identified players and others will be more broad brush as in CD aged 25-29 for example. If we didn't have something resembling signing plans, there is zero point in Gus being there. Its not inexperienced guys there now and while there is uncertainty all over the place, it is inconceivable there isn't some prep on going. 

The usually very reliable ITK poster on WAP is heavily suggesting that Kirk/Levein are over training the players to the point of them being exhausted.

Gus MacPherson has already stated at a fans forum that he just does paperwork etc., and doesn't do anything in terms of sourcing or scouting players.

Edited by RandomGuy.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gus MacPherson has already stated at a fans forum that he just does paperwork etc., and doesn't do anything in terms of sourcing or scouting players.

So he has no real value then? I'm sure if he is there, Levein must discuss players with him, if not the actual players, he must be giving Gus a list and he then sees who is available and whose not. 

6 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

So he has no real value then? I'm sure if he is there, Levein must discuss players with him, if not the actual players, he must be giving Gus a list and he then sees who is available and whose not. 

His value is helping us avoid situations like paying 6 figures for the likes of Bobby Dailly, I think.

His role is to make sure there's no hidden costs in transfers.