Edinburgh City

What are the legal issues? I vaguely recall there being something around only the oldest club being the ones able to use City in their name (I think Dundee United initially wanted to be called Dundee City but Dundee blocked it by being older, even though they didn’t want to use it themselves - or is that a myth?) so not sure whether Hearts have made some sort of complaint?

That sounds unlikely to be true. I assume the issue relates to the connection with the Edinburgh City social club, which is a continuation on from the old Edinburgh City FC and which technically owns the name.

There's been a real plastic feel to Edinburgh City since the end of their first season in the SPFL, and this is only going to make it worse. I reckon in 10 years time there's a good chance the club doesn't exist or is back in the Lowland or below.

List of names that would be better than FC Edinburgh IMO.

Edinburgh Hotspur FC

Edinburgh Rovers FC

Edinburgh Thistle FC

Meadowbank Thistle FC

Edinburgh Castle FC

Edinburgh Hoppy FC

Not Glasgow City FC

Edinburgh Edition 2.0

Edinburgh Eagles FC

Edinburgh Enclosed FC

FFS Edinburgh FC

Edited by the jambo-rocker

1 minute ago, the jambo-rocker said:

List of names that would be better than FC Edinburgh IMO.

Edinburgh Hotspur FC

Edinburgh Rovers FC

Edinburgh Thistle FC

Meadowbank Thistle FC

Edinburgh Castle FC

Edinburgh Hoppy FC

Not Glasgow City FC

Edinburgh Edition 2.0

Edinburgh Eagles FC

Edinburgh Enclosed FFSFC

Dukla Pumpherston's already taken ... aye?

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

What was the club called before they changed to Edinburgh City? Can they no just go back to that? 

I think someone close to the club would need to explain the detail here.  If we can believe Wiki then Edinburgh City seems to have gone out of business in the 1950s, although a social club of that name continued.  However, a club called Postal United seems to have taken over the Edinburgh City name in 1986.

What isn't clear to most of us here is what was behind the need to re-name the club - there's clearly been some kind of a legal issue or challenge here.  So we are very much in the dark at the moment.  Maybe one of the fans can shed some light.

I assume the potential legal issue is with the social club - the FC Edinburgh name was trailed a few years ago in a marketing brochure (where we stated we wouldn't take sponsorship money from gambling etc.) but hadn't heard anything about it since. It's an odd name and feels gimicky. Edinburgh FC would have been significantly better but it seems like a change had to be made.

Very clear there is little to no relationship between the football team and the social club.

Be interesting to hear what the chariman says tonight and whether the name change has some more substance to it. In that same marketing brochure they mentioned a fan or member owned model.

I have just checked the date is not April 1st...

If this is true then it stinks. If the club was afraid of a legal challenge then why not wait for the court papers to be filed (from a not-for-profit social club. Really?). And then crowd fund for the legal fees if required. And its a shite name...

Releasing the story to the Evening News before the fans Facebook event tonight is hardly surprising given the complete car crash that ECFC have made of its marketing and communications over the last couple of years. 

I quite like Postal United tbh. Sounds like some Eastern European mob that have eliminated a Scottish team at one point.

Anyway, I suggest a link up with our nationalised rail service and the name Locomotive Edinburgh FC.

1 hour ago, AllyMonc said:

I assume the potential legal issue is with the social club - the FC Edinburgh name was trailed a few years ago in a marketing brochure (where we stated we wouldn't take sponsorship money from gambling etc.) but hadn't heard anything about it since. It's an odd name and feels gimicky. Edinburgh FC would have been significantly better but it seems like a change had to be made.

Very clear there is little to no relationship between the football team and the social club.

Be interesting to hear what the chariman says tonight and whether the name change has some more substance to it. In that same marketing brochure they mentioned a fan or member owned model.

I didn’t realise there was little connection between the Loch Inn social club and the football club, I thought the social club was effectively creating funds for the football club. 

The link between the old Edinburgh City and the current club, however tenuous after 30 years of no team between mid 50s and mid 80s, was a real strong point for them IMO and something they clearly bought into. Doesn't the badge say 1928?And the club history covers both eras. There was even a sense of history in them going back to Ferry Road the last couple of years. Sad if the name goes. FC Edinburgh is a pretty rubbish replacement too. 

Social Club in Loch End have no connection to the club and there's been friction for a while now. Seems this has led us to the point where "City" has to be removed from the club name. Apparently a new crest as well for obvious reasons...

FC Edinburgh would be far down my list of choices, fans not even being consulted is a car crash decision too. Roll on 7pm where we get all the answers... or at least we better.

1 hour ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I quite like Postal United tbh. Sounds like some Eastern European mob that have eliminated a Scottish team at one point.

Anyway, I suggest a link up with our nationalised rail service and the name Locomotive Edinburgh FC.

... decent ... 👍

It's just the company name although South Edinburgh Ventures Company might have been better. We're still The Edinburgh City*... :lol: :P

I suspect it's tied in with the fact that the Social Club trades as Edinburgh City Football Club Limited and has done since the 1930s. 

*OK, Postal United. You smartarses.