Edinburgh City

Queens fan here.

Just to say I spent the first half mixed up with City fans and enjoyed the banter. It’s good when you can sit side by side and enjoy the shared moans….

It was interesting hearing a bit about what else is going on behind the scenes, good luck with all that and I hope it works out. Eventually.

And I apologise to the City guys for telling them that we were generally poor in the second half, despite our FT status. Just as well I changed ends.

On 25/03/2023 at 09:57, Otis Blue said:

Did you get vertigo up there in the top tier?

More seriously, as a neutral, how did you assess the two sides last night?

🤣 I survived the dizzy heights 🤣

I thought the 2 teams were fairly evenly matched and there was some good play from both. Edinburgh probably slightly edged the first half and I wondered at HT if they may regret not having taken some of their chances. Queen of the South were more dominant in the second half.

On 25/03/2023 at 03:59, forfarton said:

Went along as a neutral. The view is okay from the back (3rd!) row.

20230324_195851.jpg

The view is passable from the 3rd row. I was in the 3rd row last time. I was in the middle row this time and even that one row difference made it a lot worse. The front row must have been dreadful. You can't really get any perspective of the game at the far side and have no idea how close to the touchline the ball is. It also didn't help for me looking across the pitch into the fully dark background you can see in your photo that our players were all in black. On a few occasions I genuinely didn't realise we had a player standing out at the touchline and thought balls were rolling aimlessly out.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Some of the big European stadiums actually have technical areas where the coach/subs actually do sit in "dug outs" - ie their heads are only just above pitch level.  Not sure where I last saw this - was it Napoli or Roma?  Always seems crazy - you'd think the coaching team would want to be sitting high enough to get a good view of the game.  Never gonna be an issue for Queens mind!

19 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Some of the big European stadiums actually have technical areas where the coach/subs actually do sit in "dug outs" - ie their heads are only just above pitch level.  Not sure where I last saw this - was it Napoli or Roma?  Always seems crazy - you'd think the coaching team would want to be sitting high enough to get a good view of the game.  Never gonna be an issue for Queens mind!

IIRC the dug out was invented in Scotland by the Aberdeen trainer who wanted a better view of his players feet and how they passed the ball.

Nowadays the manager's observation platform would be in a helicopter to watch the ball launched from end to end. 

On 31/03/2023 at 08:59, Scorge said:

Bought a ticket for the third row tomorrow and hoping for the least-worst view, as it were.

Any recommendations for food near the ground?

See nobody had any recommendations for food. Nobody could even be bothered posting a match thread.

I know there is a disconnect between the club and long-time supporters like Tam the Bam but really would have expected more interest in a match which is still not a complete dead rubber - although the result was probably bad for both teams in terms of having any hope of making the playoffs on their current form.

41 minutes ago, Brummo said:

See nobody had any recommendations for food. Nobody could even be bothered posting a match thread.

I know there is a disconnect between the club and long-time supporters like Tam the Bam but really would have expected more interest in a match which is still not a complete dead rubber - although the result was probably bad for both teams in terms of having any hope of making the playoffs on their current form.

Turned out I didn't have time to stay and grab a bite so no loss.

Very 'meh' game in a really poor stadium. Not quite as awful as I thought, but still unacceptable at this level. Draw probably about right on balance, neither team quite good enough to win. Think that finally nails our season shut, and even if Edinburgh finish 4th I don't think they'll threaten in the playoffs. 

Meh.

A new planning application has been submitted in relation to the housing on the Meadowbank site. 

23/01317/AMC | Approval of matters specified in condition 2 of 18/00154/PPP for the proposed redevelopment of surplus land at Meadowbank Sports Centre with mixed uses including residential and commercial, together with roads, landscaping, drainage and ancillary works. | Meadowbank Stadium 139 London Road Edinburgh EH7 6AE

Mountains of documents there, but I managed to find a plan which is interesting, at least for those of us who live nearby (the link looks odd but should work).  The plan does refer to the new football stand.  As expected it doesn't look as if there will be any access to the ground other than the two existing turnstiles.  As discussed previously, nothing will happen with the stand until the developers have finished work on that side.

- (edinburgh.gov.uk)

Until the building starts there is an argument that the free view from Marionville Road is better than paying £12 to stand outside.  You can get a more central view than this but areas of the pitch nearer that side are obscured.

new view.jpg

• 1 month later...

Season over - just watched the last game v Airdrie - I should be happy with 6th place in the league considering we were favourites for relegation but I’m not - we could have made the play offs no problem but we bottled it - dreading what the council has in plans for next season as to whether extra seats will be allowed - think it will be same as this season to be honest- thanks to Jim Brown and enjoy your retirement from the club 

Having seen players like James Craigen and John Robertson leave the club, I've got a nagging feeling that FC Edinburgh are in for a horrendous season next term. Last season's squad looked pretty handy on paper and it felt some players were on wages that might have been unsustainable. With recent appeals for new funding and the chairman stepping down, it feels as though the next 12 months could be difficult.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Having seen players like James Craigen and John Robertson leave the club, I've got a nagging feeling that FC Edinburgh are in for a horrendous season next term. Last season's squad looked pretty handy on paper and it felt some players were on wages that might have been unsustainable. With recent appeals for new funding and the chairman stepping down, it feels as though the next 12 months could be difficult.

Robbie Mutch as well.

Any Edinburgh fan on here able to tell me what he’s like? 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Robbie Mutch as well.

Any Edinburgh fan on here able to tell me what he’s like? 

I didn't mind him at us, he's a good shot stopper and will get the ball out quickly for you. He is however prone to an absolute calamity from time to time, comes out and tries to punch lots.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AllyMonc said:

Have to say this didn't seem possible a week and a half ago. Lots and lots to do but a chance to get our club back. What a relief

What are the chances of changing the name back?

On 10/05/2023 at 21:28, Francesc Fabregas said:

Having seen players like James Craigen and John Robertson leave the club ...

Anyone know where Robertson is off to?

8 hours ago, GordonD said:

What are the chances of changing the name back?

8 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

The million dollar question!

Would you need to fight Craigroyston for that ?

Did they not take over the name ?

Kinda schoolboy error from your board changing the name in the 1st place. 

Edited by newcastle broon