Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

3 minutes ago, ahemps said:

.. graphs ..

I'll be honest, not sure what those graphs are meant to show.

I'd contend that Villa is easier because the pressure is less and the expectation is lower. That's not saying Villa and their fans have low expectations, just that they aren't expected to win the league so the "variants of success" differ.

You may have been hinting at that, but I'm not really sure.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's also hard to gauge how appealing a job we are to prospective managers. Yes, our league is not exactly looked at favourably by outsiders and we just posted horrendous financial results, but I would hope Gerrard's appointment and subsequent move to the EPL (greatest league in the world, eh) would be reason enough for managers with a little more quality about them to consider it.

Then again, we have folk like Charlie Adam putting themselves forward which really harms our image.

aye mate Charlie Adam wanting to be involved is what harms your image

4 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

362898F2-5BA2-425D-9B02-A1C487780DD7.jpeg

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Rangers fans taking it really well and then insisting they don’t care.

They are FUMING.

I don't doubt many are fuming, but I think a lot are just reeling from the disappointing news and are concerned more than anything.

I don't think anyone would grudge Gerrard a move to the EPL, well, anyone that can think logically, it's more the timing that is leaving a bit of a sour taste in people's mouths.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

I'll be honest, not sure what those graphs are meant to show.

I'd contend that Villa is easier because the pressure is less and the expectation is lower. That's not saying Villa and their fans have low expectations, just that they aren't expected to win the league so the "variants of success" differ.

You may have been hinting at that, but I'm not really sure.

You are suggesting Villa is an easier job but Rangers have an absolute monumental advantage over every team bar 1 in the SPL. At Villa he has to compete with teams with much bigger resources therefore it is harder.

The pressure at the OF comes because of the advantage they have. Rangers start every game apart from 1 in the SPL has an overwhelming favourite so how is that not an easy job?

1 minute ago, ahemps said:

You are suggesting Villa is an easier job but Rangers have an absolute monumental advantage over every team bar 1 in the SPL. At Villa he has to compete with teams with much bigger resources therefore it is harder.

The pressure at the OF comes because of the advantage they have. Rangers start every game apart from 1 in the SPL has an overwhelming favourite so how is that not an easy job?

"Managing client expectations......"

3 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Because he was a shite player for us?

EDIT: I don't hate him at all. I just don't think he'd be a good appointment.

I know that I shouldn’t, but I went into one of the Rangers fans forums. They had a thread “next Manager” and one of the options is “anyone but Russell Martin”, with lots of the participants on that site going for that option. One said he’d rather have Neil Lennon. I’d no idea why he was hated so much.

Not sure why Rangers fans are bothered tbh. It seems like a logical conclusion that Gerrard fucking hated the Rangers fans anyway.

A brutal set of fans, who vocally wanted him hounded out, aswell as being massive bigots. Its no shock that Rangers performances before and after the closed doors have never matched those where the orcs couldnt attend.

Just style it like it was you who dumped him lads.

14 minutes ago, AJF said:

It's also hard to gauge how appealing a job we are to prospective managers. Yes, our league is not exactly looked at favourably by outsiders and we just posted horrendous financial results, but I would hope Gerrard's appointment and subsequent move to the EPL (greatest league in the world, eh) would be reason enough for managers with a little more quality about them to consider it.

Then again, we have folk like Charlie Adam putting themselves forward which really harms our image.

HARM your image??? Oh lord!

Let's face it : it was only a matter of time.

Scottish football (mainly Celtic and Rangers) is only seen as a stepping stone for decent players / managers. Eddie just didn't fancy it. Brendan was off at the first opportunity and now Stevie........................

Big...pond...fish...in....very...a...small....

6 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

"Managing client expectations......"

Villa have aspirations and ambitions as well, Gerrard hasn't when there to finish in the bottom half of the EPL. To achieve the targets he and the Villa board are setting will be a harder task than simply winning a 2 horse race.

10 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Image :lol:

Like how Celtic’s image was tarnished when they got pied by Eddie Howe after 8 months of negotiations.

4 minutes ago, DunblaneICT said:

Let's face it : it was only a matter of time.

Scottish football (mainly Celtic and Rangers) is only seen as a stepping stone for decent players / managers. Eddie just didn't fancy it. Brendan was off at the first opportunity and now Stevie........................

Big...pond...fish...in....very...a...small....

As much as it’s a product of geography every club also suffers in that the league is run by absolute fucking idiots.