Follow Follow Rangers. Season 2023/24

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Was going to post the same. I thought ideas of £20m were mental and largely over excited after making a European final. 

Tbf, now is the time for Rangers to sell at a premium. Don't think he'll ever be as valuable as he is now.

They could keep him to try and get Champions League group stage football but I really can't see it. Especially if they're overhauling a squad if Kent and Morelos leave.

12 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Tbf, now is the time for Rangers to sell at a premium. Don't think he'll ever be as valuable as he is now.

They could keep him to try and get Champions League group stage football but I really can't see it. Especially if they're overhauling a squad if Kent and Morelos leave.

Said already that I think Ajax will sell him to an English club for £40m+ in 3 or 4 years.

13 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye I agree, my previous post was about as close to a compliment as I’m willing to give them 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Seems like it might be a Scottish record fee for Bassey

Maybe but still need the bids to be higher than they currently have. The Daily Mail were saying last night that Ajax have bid £19m which hasn't been accepted. 

He has two years left on his deal so we aren't going to get this value again unless we get him to sign a new contract.

No Bassey in our squad for the Blackpool game today which suggests a deal is likely.

54 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Unbelievable fee for a brilliant four months of football.

Aye, it really is. Though I think it's indicative of the kind of player you have to be in Scotland to command that kind of fee:

- 90th percentile + athlete

- Still young enough for resale  to an elite club (& therefore significant profit) in 24/36 months time (in other words, no older than 22)

- Stood out a European level

- English home grown

- Versatile

- Showing dramatic improvement with a ceiling that suggests further improvement is possible

I think you need to be able to tick most or all of those boxes to command that kind of money, with some being more important than others. Therefore both Rangers and Celtic should be looking to keep at least a few of those kinds of players around their squad. It can't be your entire recruitment policy, but it needs to be a significant part of it.

Ajax leaking its €22m, Rangers saying it's €27m, truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Doesn't really matter anyway. The return we've gotten for a kid that we signed for £230k is unreal.

I remember Patterson and Bassey breaking COVID rules last year and some folk wanting to sack the pair of them. Since then they've netted us something like £40m. 

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Ajax leaking its €22m, Rangers saying it's €27m, truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Doesn't really matter anyway. The return we've gotten for a kid that we signed for £230k is unreal.

I remember Patterson and Bassey breaking COVID rules last year and some folk wanting to sack the pair of them. Since then they've netted us something like £40m. 

Brilliant piece of business from your side of it. He had a good season overall but he really kicked on from January onwards and by May he looked like a world beater. Not like the player from last season, had an absolute shocker against us in the league cup game in Paisley. Didn't look like a footballer at all but I think that's a credit to the league. Takes players time to adapt here.

Celtic fans a bit bitter on twitter (shock horror). The amount of folk that are messing up the exchange rate on there as well 🤣.

Well done though. A ridiculous profit made. We do undervalue the product we have here. 100%.

22 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Brilliant piece of business from your side of it. He had a good season overall but he really kicked on from January onwards and by May he looked like a world beater. Not like the player from last season, had an absolute shocker against us in the league cup game in Paisley. Didn't look like a footballer at all but I think that's a credit to the league. Takes players time to adapt here.

Celtic fans a bit bitter on twitter (shock horror). The amount of folk that are messing up the exchange rate on there as well 🤣.

Well done though. A ridiculous profit made. We do undervalue the product we have here. 100%.

Yeah he was awful in the 3-2 LC game. Even recently, he was absolutely terrible at CB away to Sparta Prague. 

What really changed for him was GVB coming in. Switching to a man-for-man system meant he could just dominate strikers/wingers/whoever he came up against. I can genuinely say I don't ever remember a player developing so much in such a condensed period of time. It's like someone flipped a switch in him after the Sparta game. 

11 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Maybe Sevco could do the decent thing and pay back the creditors that they screwed in 2012.

That would be the honourable thing to do. 

No it wouldn't, there is no honour in paying forgiven debts. Don't be such a cuck.

Phenomenal deal for The Famous.

Still nowhere near sure about the lad.

Grangemouth Bairn says Chelsea may pay over the odds in 3 years. Apt, as Bassey reminded me of Doug Rougvie until recently.

Form is temporary. Lack of class is permanent. 

Toto Schilacci comes to mind. 

Next club more likely to be Birmingham or Derby than Chelsea.

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I just don't see it.

I'll be amazed if Ajax make a profit on him.

Its near impossible for players to look shit for Ajax.