Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

19 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Rangers 2012 should be placed at 308th on the co-efficient list when they play their first ever game in Europe if the licence is excepted to play.

They've no coefficient of their own: after 5yr it's long expired even if there was continuity.

Very likely seeded in QR1 on Scotland's base coefficient of 3.785 while St Johnstone seeded with 6.535.

5 hours ago, d31 said:

Dutch have completed their end of the bargain

Man Utd could be resolved today

all done now.

Dons bye in QR1 and seeded in QR2*

*presuming they complete the job to finish 2nd

Nothing has been officially announced but this is what the experts over in the Bert Kassies website think the Access List will look like from 2018-19 onwards, pieced together from the reports on the changes:

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/AccessList2018.html

It makes little difference to our EL entrants - even if we dropped back a bit to 25th or so, there's a good chance our cup winners would get lifted into QR2 in the way Aberdeen have. It would mean our champion starting in CL QR1, though.

It's claimed that the champions of the 4 worst countries will have to play a 2-stage preliminary (in June?) for 1 place in CL QR1 - plus the 16 entrants of the 8 worst countries will have to play a Preliminary Round before EL QR1. I'm not sure if most / all of those would usually get lifted into QR1 through the non-use of titleholder slots or not.

Anyway the suggestion is they will move QR1 to QR3 back a week, meaning the Preliminary clubs will start 1 week earlier than just now and the rest 1 week later (although for Celtic starting out a round earlier it would also be 1 week earlier). That's probably to our benefit. In 2018-19 our entrants would start-out as follows:

Tue/Wed 3rd/4th July... (CL) Premiership champion
Thursday 5th July... (EL) Premiership runner-up, third-place
Thursday 19th July... (EL) cup winner

However this would eliminate the free midweek between QR3 & QR4. That could hamper our new League Cup format with its Final before Christmas, as it's used for the Last 16 ties.

Re: Seeding for Rounds 1&2:

Europa League

The Rangers will be seeded in QR1 but not for QR2 should they proceed - coefficient: 3.785
St Johnstone will be seeded in QR1 and QR2 should they proceed - coefficient: 6.535
Aberdeen will be seeded in QR2 - coefficient: 6.785

QR3 seedings are unknown but it is pretty much guaranteed that all Scottish Clubs will be unseeded.

Champ. League

Celtic will be seeded for all qualifying rounds: - coefficient: 42.785

Should Celtic proceed to the CL Group Stage, it will close between being in Pot 3 and Pot 4. Last year they were Pot 4, but if their coefficient has improved and should it be the same as last year Celtic would be in Pot 3. Most likely, they will be either the worst Pot 3 team or the best Pot 4 team.

28 minutes ago, kramer said:

Celtic are 3rd in Pot 4 as things stand so would require a few upsets to squeeze into Pot 3

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=4FE4712A1E3EA4FA!276&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AAEY2-peVXk6VaI

Upsets always happen in the Champions League, I would fancy Hoffenheim,to beat Kyiv for example.

Also, I think Ajax will beat Man Utd in the EL final meaning there would be one less team in Pot 3

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

UEFA have just updated their rankings, not very clear how they are arriving at their totals as the numbers don't add up. Scotland and Celtic slightly up but the rest of the Scottish teams have slipped down the rankings. Hopefully an error!

Edited by kramer

2 hours ago, kramer said:

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/index.html

UEFA have just updated their rankings, not very clear how they are arriving at their totals as the numbers don't add up. Scotland and Celtic slightly up but the rest of the Scottish teams have slipped down the rankings. Hopefully an error!

Interesting dumfermline and queen of the south are on the list last time they played in Europe was 2008 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

I can't see either on the list? Admittedly I only did a "Find" rather than actually looking through the list but just eight Scottish clubs there that I can see:

Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Johnstone, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United, Caley Thistle.

On 2017-5-13 at 22:15, wastecoatwilly said:

Rangers 2012 should be placed at 308th on the co-efficient list when they play their first ever game in Europe if the licence is excepted to play.

That's because you don't understand how coefficient points are calculated.

That said, the general consensus appears to be we'd be happy to go into the Europa League at the first round. The games have been missing for so long that the more the better. The Dons might be happy with a bye to the next round because the banana skin potential is higher for them but I'd argue we'd prefer the extra games.

Assuming the First Round is roughly the same as last year, in terms of quality, Scottish teams should have little to worry about.

Even teams from Luxembourg, Ireland, Latvia, Northern Ireland and Estonia were among the seeds last time. The unseeded teams should really be dregs of European football.

37 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Rangers have the same amount of points as any other Premiership team qualifying for Europe "for the first time"... :)

That's what I'm confused about. Rangers appear to have 39.5 points, which is far more than any other Scottish team, bar Celtic.

I'm ill tonight, so if I've missed something really obvious, then I'm putting it down to that.