Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

Clubs which qualify for Europe for the first time - or haven't qualified for half a decade (or something like that) - use their country's 'base' coefficient.

Otherwise you'd have a number of clubs in each round with 0.

Clubs whose own coefficient has dropped below the base figure do the same.

Rarely does it actually make any difference e.g. turn a Scottish non-seed into a seed.

3 hours ago, thepundit said:

Rangers have still got the best chance out of the 3 teams of getting through to 3rd round. :)

Have you seen the draw, or are you basing this on Rangers' unbeaten record in Europe?

I'm saying it now, my really positive prediction:

Celtic will make either the Lat 16 of the CL or the Last 8 of the EL

Aberdeen will make the group stages of the Europa League
Saints will be in the play-off
Rangers will get knocked out in the 3rd Round

so your prediction is

Celtic may not cause any upsets

Aberdeen will cause two upsets

Saints will cause one upset

Rangers will cause two upsets

A lot of positivity there - I like it

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 19:32, thepundit said:

Rangers have still got the best chance out of the 3 teams of getting through to 3rd round. :)

Would be good if all 3 can get to the groups though.

Tbh on what basis have you made that fairly bold assertion? They have the biggest budget, granted, but they have just finished a distant second to Aberdeen. They (and most of their players) have not got European experience - Aberdeen will be playing their 4th straight season. They are starting at QR1 - Aberdeen will be starting at QR2. They will only be seeded in QR1 - St Johnstone and Aberdeen will both be seeded in QR2 (if St Johnstone make it). Caixhinha's European experience amounts to a single campaign with Nacional where they beat a team from the Faroe Islands, beat the Fair Play entrants from Sweden, then lost to Birmingham of the Championship. Over in Central America he led Santos Laguna through 2 rounds of CONCACF CL kos right after starting - losing in the final - but then failed to qualify for 2yrs and finally left after a prelim tie win over a Trinidad team. Never qualified in Asia.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Tbh on what basis have you made that fairly bold assertion? They have the biggest budget, granted, but they have just finished a distant second to Aberdeen. They (and most of their players) have not got European experience - Aberdeen will be playing their 4th straight season. They are starting at QR1 - Aberdeen will be starting at QR2. They will only be seeded in QR1 - St Johnstone and Aberdeen will both be seeded in QR2 (if St Johnstone make it). Caixhinha's European experience amounts to a single campaign with Nacional where they beat a team from the Faroe Islands, beat the Fair Play entrants from Sweden, then lost to Birmingham of the Championship. Over in Central America he led Santos Laguna through 2 rounds of CONCACF CL kos right after starting - losing in the final - but then failed to qualify for 2yrs and finally left after a prelim tie win over a Trinidad team. Never qualified in Asia.

You've asked me the question but provided the answer in your own comment: Budget.:)

That said, this is the 2nd round we are talking about. Aberdeen and Rangers should advance without too many problems so arguing who has the best chance of getting through is a bit of a pointless argument. St Johnstone I don't really believe will go through if I am being honest. Hope I'm wrong though.

In terms of European experience, that's another pointless argument. There's quality players out there with no European experience who'd perform far better than the Dons players in next seasons Europa League for the simple reason that they are a better player.

On 2017-5-22 at 18:43, d31 said:

so your prediction is

Celtic may not cause any upsets

Aberdeen will cause two upsets

Saints will cause one upset

Rangers will cause one upset

A lot of positivity there - I like it

FTFY

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 22:13, thepundit said:

You've asked me the question but provided the answer in your own comment: Budget.:)

That said, this is the 2nd round we are talking about. Aberdeen and Rangers should advance without too many problems so arguing who has the best chance of getting through is a bit of a pointless argument. St Johnstone I don't really believe will go through if I am being honest. Hope I'm wrong though.

In terms of European experience, that's another pointless argument. There's quality players out there with no European experience who'd perform far better than the Dons players in next seasons Europa League for the simple reason that they are a better player.

Dons have been unseeded in QR2 the last two seasons, and won each time.

Of the three sides we knocked out at that stage - I could see this Sevco squad taking care of Ventspils, but not Groningen or Rijeka.

Good to see Sevconians retain their sense of entitlement and assumption that some lavish budget is about to thrown their way to produce an all-conquering Euro team - even if some big wages are thrown at them (a la Barton, Garner, Senderos, Kranjcar etc), having them up to speed for these early rounds is a tall order. 

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

Dons have been unseeded in QR2 the last two seasons, and won each time.

Of the three sides we knocked out at that stage - I could see this Sevco squad taking care of Ventspils, but not Groningen or Rijeka.

Good to see Sevconians retain their sense of entitlement and assumption that some lavish budget is about to thrown their way to produce an all-conquering Euro team - even if some big wages are thrown at them (a la Barton, Garner, Senderos, Kranjcar etc), having them up to speed for these early rounds is a tall order. 

Some interesting points. I'll respond to each paragraph...

1st) Which proves my point it's hardly worth arguing about. Both teams will go through.

2nd) That's your opinion. I agree we'd win against Ventspils, Groningen would but more difficult but I'd still expect Rangers to win. Admittedly I don't know much about Rijeka but what I would say is - if Aberdeen can go there and put 5 past them I doubt Rangers would struggle. 

3rd) I'm not expecting a "lavish budget". I'm realistic enough to know there might be a few on high salaries but most signings will be in the region of £5k-£10k such as Kenny McLean and Ryan Jack for example. :)

4 minutes ago, thepundit said:

Admittedly I don't know much about Rijeka but what I would say is - if Aberdeen can go there and put 5 past them I doubt Rangers would struggle. 

Let me educate you on their recent home record.

rijeka.JPG

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Let me educate you on their recent home record.

Yeah, I read that when you initially mentioned them. But my opinion on the matter remains the same. 

Still, if Rangers can avoid them next season (as they are champions and could potentially end up in the Europa League playoffs) I'd have no complaints!........

On 2017-5-24 at 23:10, thepundit said:

Admittedly I don't know much about Rijeka but what I would say is - if Aberdeen can go there and put 5 past them I doubt Rangers would struggle. 

We went to Dens Park and put seven past Dundee.