Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

Tonight's win and draw takes us to 4.000 for the season, meaning we equal the score that dropped off in 2014/15. Just a draw away from Serbia in 18th. https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/crank2020.html

Looks like there will be CL bonus points for Czech Republic, Greece, Croatia, and one of Switzerland/Serbia. That might all be Greece have though, as AEK lost 1-3 at home and PAOK lost 1-0 away. Israel will lose both teams as well.

A decent chance it'll just be Scotland, Serbia, and Switzerland with more than one group stage team in this battle for 15th.

Copenhagen struggling through against Riga is pretty much the end of 15th for this season imo.
I think Olympiacos will at worst get 3rd in their CL group (maybe push the top two as well) taking 15th out of reach.
Would need to reach the quarters or something now to have any chance.

Copenhagen struggling through against Riga is pretty much the end of 15th for this season imo.
I think Olympiacos will at worst get 3rd in their CL group (maybe push the top two as well) taking 15th out of reach.
Would need to reach the quarters or something now to have any chance.
Its probably for the best we avoid getting 15th too quickly.

Use this season to get us in a good position to go for it next season.

Its probably for the best we avoid getting 15th too quickly.

Use this season to get us in a good position to go for it next season.
With this being the season that determines the ranking table for the new 3 tier format, I'd say getting 15th as early as possible is important.
Something doesn't seem quite right with the way UEFA have set it up for 2021-2024. Unless my maths are wrong 15th place will get up to 10 opportunities for their clubs to reach the group stages of European competition and 16th will only get up to 6.
Right now it's 7 for 15th and 5 for 16th. That seems too much of an increase for 15th or better teams. If you don't get into 15th early on in this new competition you're in a hole imo. Seems quite easy to be left behind.

13 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Czech Republic are gone however depending on the draw I think we still have a chance of 15th with the extra team, this is how far behind we are:

• Denmark - 6.5 wins
  • Greece, Cyprus - 5 wins
  • Croatia - 2.5 wins
  • Serbia - 2 wins, but they also have two teams

The three behind us need the following number of wins to catch us:

• Norway - 2.5 wins
  • Switzerland - 5 wins, but they have three teams
  • Sweden - 4 wins

We got 6.5 wins last season, and Rangers arguably could've got more, so if those ahead don't have a good campaign we might catch them.

15 minutes ago, charger29 said:

With this being the season that determines the ranking table for the new 3 tier format, I'd say getting 15th as early as possible is important.
Something doesn't seem quite right with the way UEFA have set it up for 2021-2024. Unless my maths are wrong 15th place will get up to 10 opportunities for their clubs to reach the group stages of European competition and 16th will only get up to 6.
Right now it's 7 for 15th and 5 for 16th. That seems too much of an increase for 15th or better teams. If you don't get into 15th early on in this new competition you're in a hole imo. Seems quite easy to be left behind.

16th might be useful to get, as although there's no extra team, with the redistribution due to the CL/EL winners 16th is likely to still get an EL place. Someone's put it all together in a spreadsheet, look for Croatia in the teams tab and see where their teams go: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=FB41E3B5AA1A44FE!783&ithint=file%2cxlsx&authkey=!AKwCfyd6ErlBx4s

4 hours ago, Ginaro said:

16th might be useful to get, as although there's no extra team, with the redistribution due to the CL/EL winners 16th is likely to still get an EL place. Someone's put it all together in a spreadsheet, look for Croatia in the teams tab and see where their teams go: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=FB41E3B5AA1A44FE!783&ithint=file%2cxlsx&authkey=!AKwCfyd6ErlBx4s

You're right about 16th. 15th and 17+ would have been a better comparison.

15th gets a 67% increase in opportunities to reach GS, 16th probably gets 40% increase and 17-51 get a 20% increase.

• 3 weeks later...

One win behind Serbia after tonight - Red Star have a tough CL group but Partizan probably will get points against Astana.

Two wins behind Croatia - Zagreb have Man City away next but will fancy themselves against Shaktar and Atalanta again.

Three wins (and a bit) behind Cyprus - APOEL got beat by F91 Dudelange and also have Sevilla, but should get something against Qarabag.

So our chances of getting to 16th have increased, and Switzerland have to get six wins to overtake us.

Edited by Ginaro

One win behind Serbia after tonight - Red Star have a tough CL group but Partizan probably will get points against Astana.
Two wins behind Croatia - Zagreb have Man City away next but will fancy themselves against Shaktar and Atalanta again.
Three wins (and a bit) behind Cyprus - APOEL got beat by F91 Dudelange and also have Sevilla, but should get something against Qarabag.
So our chances of getting to 16th have increased, and Switzerland have to get six wins to overtake us.
At the beginning of the season I didn't think we really had a chance of getting above 19th place. However at this stage, 5 of the countries ahead of us only have 1 team, some of which are definitely within touching distance. I still think 15th would be a stretch for this season (not outwith the realms of possibility though), but is definitely a realistic aim for next season.

From what I seen last night I would expect both Basel and YB to pick up enough points that they will make it through the group stages. If Rangers can improve a bit they might get something from YB but I would be surprised.

I watched both games last night and was impressed with what I saw. Rennes are a solid outfit with some players who will undoubtedly move on to bigger clubs, but they didn’t look a level above Celtic at all, who I thought managed the game perfectly and on another day could have won that game. 

Was very impressed with Rangers who should have won that game by 3 or 4 goals. I know Feyenoord aren’t the team they were last season but still encouraging signs as Rangers completely outplayed them, although the score line didn’t show that.

As much as I’m not Morelos’ biggest fan, I thought he was outstanding last night. He turned the Feyenoord defenders almost every time and for a man of his build his strength against the defenders is unreal. Not sure of his contract situation at Rangers but there has got to be big teams taking a look at him, as he seems to have cut out the petulant nonsense this season, so far.