Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Worth a read of this thread on the Immigration Bill.

https://twitter.com/jameskirkup/status/1075437340506710016

That is a load of shite based on household budget thinking.

There are also lies like "UK policy is to send workers home" when what is happening is EEA workers will leave at the rate they have always left at.

46 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

BBC news at 6 has it as their second item. But, despite the ambiguity over whether or not he actually said the word “woman”, they boldly state that he appears to say it as if it’s fact.

I’m not a massive fan after the way he’s handled Brexit the past few months, but the media will literally jump on anything to try put the pressure on him instead of focusing on the shit show of a country we currently are.

I never watch the BBC news.  They're basically the state, ie government broadcaster.  

If I want news where some awkward questions get asked, it's Channel 4 for me most times. 

51 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Bollocks. Central government sets the funding and hence number of places. The BMA is a trade union (a fairly poor one for its members). The vast majority of doctors are employed within the NHS - pay is set annually by the nominally independent DDRB, which in reality just goes by what government says.

https://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a748

Delegates at the annual BMA conference voted by a narrow majority to restrict the number of places at medical schools to avoid “overproduction of doctors with limited career opportunities.” They also agreed on a complete ban on opening new medical schools.

David Sochart, from Manchester and Salford, warned that in the current job climate allowing too many new doctors into the market would risk devaluing the profession and make newly qualified doctors prey to “unscrupulous …

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That is a load of shite based on household budget thinking.

There are also lies like "UK policy is to send workers home" when what is happening is EEA workers will leave at the rate they have always left at.

Do you approve of freedom of movement determined by class?

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That was in 2008 and was a motion at a conference in order to set union policy. The BMA has no power to set places, all they can do is lobby government. The reasons behind this vote at the time were complicated, but reflected the lack of joined up workforce planning that still exists and huge changes that had just been introduced to the way doctors are trained in the UK (see Modernising Medical Careers) - that screwed over a huge number of highly trained 'junior' doctors who'd actually been working for many years.

There's no point in training more doctors if there are no jobs for them. Seeing as it takes a minimum of 10 years to create a GP and 12 a consultant, the BMA was concerned about unemployment among its members - because they're a trade union. You'd expect any union to advocate for its members.

As it stands, the situation has changed significantly in the ten years since you found that article.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Do you approve of free movement determined by economic class?

I agree with immigration to fulfil skills gaps.

The vast majority of A4 workers who come here aren't coming to settle they are coming to work for a couple of years and return to their home country with enough money to buy a home and start a family. This has had the effect of providing employers with a perfectly elastic labour supply which has suppressed wages and enabled the destruction of terms of employment. It also has the effect of providing many employers with a constantly refreshing workforce of mainly young single people who are unsure of their employment rights, unlikely to join a union or file a grievance and cannot vote.

I place more far importance on the millions of permanent resident unskilled workers achieving decent wages and conditions that allow them to live dignified lives than I place on the rights of transient workers to boost their wealth by taking advantage of purchasing power disparities for a couple of years.

2 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

That was in 2008 and was a motion at a conference in order to set union policy. The BMA has no power to set places, all they can do is lobby government. The reasons behind this vote at the time were complicated, but reflected the lack of joined up workforce planning that still exists and huge changes that had just been introduced to the way doctors are trained in the UK (see Modernising Medical Careers) - that screwed over a huge number of highly trained 'junior' doctors who'd actually been working for many years.

There's no point in training more doctors if there are no jobs for them. Seeing as it takes a minimum of 10 years to create a GP and 12 a consultant, the BMA was concerned about unemployment among its members - because they're a trade union. You'd expect any union to advocate for its members.

As it stands, the situation has changed significantly in the ten years since you found that article.

Does the BMA not provide the staff for medical schools?

This stupid women thing is the same as when Gordon Brown rightfully called that women a bigot.

It's hard to argue against it, and there's no reason why he should be under any pressure to apologise.

Agreed; see also when Harriet Harman had to apologize for calling Alexander a ginger rodent.

31 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The vast majority of A4 workers who come here aren't coming to settle they are coming to work for a couple of years and return to their home country with enough money to buy a home and start a family. 

I work in manufacturing.

In my experience, this is, to put it simply...Pish. 

46 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The vast majority of A4 workers who come here aren't coming to settle they are coming to work for a couple of years and return to their home country with enough money to buy a home and start a family. This has had the effect of providing employers with a perfectly elastic labour supply which has suppressed wages and enabled the destruction of terms of employment. It also has the effect of providing many employers with a constantly refreshing workforce of mainly young single people who are unsure of their employment rights, unlikely to join a union or file a grievance and cannot vote.

I place more far importance on the millions of permanent resident unskilled workers achieving decent wages and conditions that allow them to live dignified lives than I place on the rights of transient workers to boost their wealth by taking advantage of purchasing power disparities for a couple of years.

So working class people are VL's who don't form relationships and families, or contribute to the UK in terms of work and taxes, and should gtf, but middle class earners who fly over for a locum shift are welcome? The fucking cheek of this shite, like the EU workers come here for their fucking gap year, and contribute nothing. You wouldn't hear this shite from the Young Conservatives.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So working class people are VL's who don't form relationships and families, or contribute to the UK in terms of work and taxes, and should gtf, but middle class earners who fly over for a locum shift are welcome?

Whit? Are you drinking again?

All i'm saying is that expanding the labour force to include people from countries with significantly lower wages and cost of living has massively disadvantaged British workers.

It's pretty obvious why it suits an employer to hire a 25 year old single Pole rather than a married 40 year old British woman with kids.

Polish workers in the UK have exactly the same living costs as we do, apart from when they first arrive when of course it's a bit more. You may not have noticed all the married 25  and 40 year old Poles about. Where do you live?

Never mind this shite.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

So skills that pay £30,000 or more, but not barmen, brick layers, hotel workers or care assistants? You utter Tory c**t. 

Presumably MPs will now do that ridiculous thing which some football managers and players do (usually in the CL,Premiership and WC, though Brenda was up to it as well), of talking while holding their hand surreptitiously in front of their mouth.

7 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

H_B managing to talk shite on many different levels here.

His obscure 10 year old article brought back some wonderful Anthony C Pick memories. 

The only reason we have to suffer his shite is because of the sad sacks that keep responding to him.