Scotland v Lithuania

TheScarf

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jamamafegan said:

And? What has a Scottish manager done in recent times for us? f**k all. At least big Berti got us to the play offs and he isn't Scottish.

#BringBackBerti

Lithuania closed the spaces well but our movement in midfield was poor under pressure. Snodgrass kept getting the ball to feet with his back to goal and nowhere to run. Richie was sloppy and Martin was bullied all game.

8 starts and 0 goals so far, no assists either.

Worth noting that last season he scored 15 and assisted 11 from 4,258 minutes, meaning he was involved in goal every 163 minutes.

Everyones much loved Rhodes was 17 goals and 3 assists from 3,384 minutes, meaning he was involved in a goal every 170 minutes.

Fletcher was 7 goals and 5 assists from 2,271 minutes, meaning he was involved in a goal every 189 minutes.

While Griffiths was 40 goals and 8 assists from 3,981 minutes, meaning he was involved in a goal every 83 minutes.

People seem to ignore the fact that, stats wise, Martin is our best all round forward in terms of scoring and setting up others.

Dem stats.

5 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

What fucks me off is St Johnstone have half a dozen players that could do better in a Scotland shirt than those muppets.
Strachan is a complete walloper

Wow 

if you put any Scotland player in the St Johnstone team, Paterson aside, they'd be St Johnstones best player by a million miles. 

And? What has a Scottish manager done in recent times for us? f**k all. At least big Berti got us to the play offs and he isn't Scottish.

It was a piss easy group....had we beaten faroes n Lithuania away we would have won group n qualified. Germans were having their big transition n were poor at time. Play offs in that group was no great achievement.

2 minutes ago, Smokie1878 said:

Wow 

if you put any Scotland player in the St Johnstone team, Paterson aside, they'd be St Johnstones best player by a million miles. 

^ Never seen Steven MacLean

Lithuania closed the spaces well but our movement in midfield was poor under pressure. Snodgrass kept getting the ball to feet with his back to goal and nowhere to run. Richie was sloppy and Martin was bullied all game.

The whole argument for a lump like Martin who provides no goals movement or assists is that he'd bully defenders......He can't even do that..
.pointless

5 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I'm 100% open to a foreign manager.

I refer to the widespread understanding the SFA, post-Vogts, hasn't been and isn't.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

I refer to the widespread understanding the SFA, post-Vogts, hasn't been and isn't.

If logic tells us we'd better not go foreign because of Berti; it must surely tell us we'd better not go Scottish, due to the much more extensive list.

Vogts problem wasn't his nationality it was his ineptitude. A German journo wrote to scotsman when he was appointed warning that on basis of his job with German side....Vogts would be indecisive with squads, communicate badly with press n players n be tactically inept. He was n is a pish mgr....much like Strachan

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

If logic tells us we'd better not go foreign because of Berti; it must surely tell us we'd better not go Scottish, due to the much more extensive list.

Oh, no question. As always get mentioned - Lars Lagerback twice put himself forward; we picked Levein and Burley instead (IIRC); he took Iceland to Euro 2016.

You can understand the logic though - many Scotland fans will simply be against the idea of a non-Scot full stop, and others would lambast SFA if another non-Scot failed. Hence them steering well clear.

Anyone saying Slovakia are pish off the back of the last two games is getting way ahead of themselves.  Yes they've lost their last two but one was to England where they played a large chunk of the game with ten men and only lost to a goal deep in stoppage time and the other was to Slovenia away.  Slovenia have been to the world cup twice since we last qualified and were also at Euro 2000.

Neither Slovenia or Slovakia are exactly top-drawer international sides but personally I suspect they may well be better than the current Scotland squad, or at least pretty much on a level with us.  It would actually be a pretty decent result for us, in normal circumstances, to take a point away from home in either of those two countries.  Anyone who thought this was an 'easier' group for us for a change was pretty much deluding themselves.  Yes they may well take points from one another and Lithuania might grab the odd unexpected point here and there as well, but to get to the playoffs we'll need a pretty decent haul of points and that probably means away wins in Bratislava and Ljubljana which at present I don't see us getting.  

Mathematically it's evidently still on, but we're going to need to produce performances way in excess of anything we've seen recently from WGS's Scotland sides to achieve it. 

50 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

Defo not buying into this bullshit that weer already out after 2 games , even taking 0 points from England mean there's still 6 games left come on get serious when the slovaks beat is on Wednesday then we can go into meltdown mode !!!

Poverty of thought married to poverty of expression.

Archived