Queen of the South Nil v Dundee Utd

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL! 

But seriously, 2-1 United with us shipping a stupid home goal in the 86-89 minute. 

If an 86th minute consolation goal is enough to start getting us out of this rut then I'd accept that result as mental as it sounds.

If we're going to get beat I'll take it easier if we score a goal.

14 hours ago, MacGafraidh said:

LOL! 

But seriously, 2-1 United with us shipping a stupid home goal in the 86-89 minute. 

The consolation goal will be a penalty conceeded by Donaldson in the 86th minute after McKinnon sends him on in 85th minute to shore up the defence and protect our 2-0 lead.

I'm a bit concerned that our manager will have put the last two defeats down to bad luck and persist with a similar strategy despite it not yielding any points.  I can't comment on the Ayr game, but the performance against Raith was far from impressive.  Too much kick and rush, with barely any clear cut chances being created.

If none of our injured players are back for this one I'd be inclined to switch to a back three for a few reasons.

• It would be less of an alien position for Brownlie who is a decent stop gap but is never a full-back in a million years.
  • We could play Jacobs and Pickard in the holding role to give Millar a bit of freedom to do what he is apparently good at.  The game at Starks was crying out for someone to take the ball in the middle of the park and dictate the play.  We seem far too keen to bypass this area at the moment.
  • It would allow us to pair Dykes and Dobbie who are the best striking option in my opinion.  Dykes is wasted out wide.

As I say I don't expect us to change from the rigid 4-4-2 Skelton seems to favour, but I think our current form dictates trying something different.

Robinson

Brownlie Dowie Higgins

Jacobs Pickard

Anderson Millar Marshall

Dobbie Dykes

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm a bit concerned that our manager will have put the last two defeats down to bad luck and persist with a similar strategy despite it not yielding any points.  I can't comment on the Ayr game, but the performance against Raith was far from impressive.  Too much kick and rush, with barely any clear cut chances being created.

If none of our injured players are back for this one I'd be inclined to switch to a back three for a few reasons.

• It would be less of an alien position for Brownlie who is a decent stop gap but is never a full-back in a million years.
  • We could play Jacobs and Pickard in the holding role to give Millar a bit of freedom to do what he is apparently good at.  The game at Starks was crying out for someone to take the ball in the middle of the park and dictate the play.  We seem far too keen to bypass this area at the moment.
  • It would allow us to pair Dykes and Dobbie who are the best striking option in my opinion.  Dykes is wasted out wide.

As I say I don't expect us to change from the rigid 4-4-2 Skelton seems to favour, but I think our current form dictates trying something different.

Robinson

Brownlie Dowie Higgins

Jacobs Pickard

Anderson Millar Marshall

Dobbie Dykes

if playing that formation i would drop pickard and not rigg who i thought had a decent game on saturday from what i seen, play him and dykes uptops and dobbie in behind,

if playing that formation i would drop pickard and not rigg who i thought had a decent game on saturday from what i seen, play him and dykes uptops and dobbie in behind,

If you do that then we will be overrun in midfield and leave the defence exposed, as you are asking Millar to be a workhorse, which he just isn't.

That and the fact that Rigg isn't up to it. Nothing he did on Saturday convinced me that he will make a career from himself at this level.

I thought it was more of a 4-4-1-1 again on Saturday, with Dobbie playing in the role Millar had the week before. Could be wrong, but it was the same outcome - quite a lot of possession and very little else. Think Pickard and Jacobs are both playing now after the shambles of the Morton game. 

Have to say I've not been that impressed with Rigg, although he is better through the middle than he is either on the left or right wing. But that's not saying much.

3-5-2 with Dobbie and Dykes up front looks like the best option. I'd play Brotherston instead of Anderson. Don't know what is up with him, but he's been quite poor for weeks now. 

The injury situation has been bad, but I'm not sure Skelton has made the best use of the players available. Or maybe it doesn't matter what he does if the first choice 11 aren't all available. 

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

I thought it was more of a 4-4-1-1 again on Saturday, with Dobbie playing in the role Millar had the week before. Could be wrong, but it was the same outcome - quite a lot of possession and very little else. Think Pickard and Jacobs are both playing now after the shambles of the Morton game. 

Have to say I've not been that impressed with Rigg, although he is better through the middle than he is either on the left or right wing. But that's not saying much.

3-5-2 with Dobbie and Dykes up front looks like the best option. I'd play Brotherston instead of Anderson. Don't know what is up with him, but he's been quite poor for weeks now. 

The injury situation has been bad, but I'm not sure Skelton has made the best use of the players available. Or maybe it doesn't matter what he does if the first choice 11 aren't all available. 

If we go with a standard 4-4-2 I would play Brotherston over Anderson for the same reason as you.  I'm not sure he's defensively sound enough for the wing-back role, although that's as much to do with not having seen him having to perform defensive duties as much as anything.  It's not been coming off for him, but at least with Anderson you know you are going to get a shift.  We did look slightly more of an attacking threat with Brotherston on the field last Saturday though, he has that fearlessness a lot of young wingers seem to have where they are content to take players on all day.  His impact reminds me a bit of when Dan Orsi burst onto the scene.

5 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Robinson

Brownlie Dowie Higgins

Jacobs Pickard

Anderson Millar Marshall

Dobbie Dykes

I agree that there has been an over-use of the "unlucky" phrase after the two away defeats to Ayr and Raith. I would actually contend that we were quite lucky to face two consecutive home teams who probably turned in their poorest displays of the season. In Raith's case it was probably one of their worst home perfrmances for many a season and for us to create so little of any real consequence in either game represents two massive missed opportunities. In this league it is rare to come up against home teams  who create virtually nothing in attack and when you happen to stumble across these opportunities you really need to take advantage.

When Morton visited us recently they expected a really tough game - after 25 minutes or so it became blatantly obvious that we were having a nightmare and Morton did what any good side would do - go for the jugular and really make us pay. If you compare that attitude with our tactics in both games - we were indecisive, overly cautious, and unable to create the sort of real chances that invariably lead to goals. Yes we could have still won both games as we were the better team on both occasions but we were playing two teams who hadnt really turned up. To come out with no points and no goals from these encounters heaps a load of pressure on the two forthcoming league games where we may well play miles better in both games and come out with nothing.

There is no doubt that Gavin Skelton has a very limited pool to pick from. Personally I would go with a back 3 and the following line up:-

Robinson

Brownlie Dowie Higgins

Anderson/Brotherston Millar Jacobs Marshall

Dobbie

lyle Dykes

If Lyle not fit I would go with Rigg alongside Dykes with Dobbie in the free role behind.

Archived